Iowa State and Texas go down.....

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Iowa State and Texas go down.....

Post by learnin » January 8th, 2019, 11:36 pm

to the worst teams in conference. This conference is wide open and it's a real shame that Kansas State suffered the injury bug again and is shooting so poorly for some mysterious reason. This was the year that Kansas State could have taken the championship. KU still has, probably, the best overall talent, but our team, healthy, is as good as any in this conference.

Look. Our team has the same exact ball players back. On Twitter, earlier this afternoon, someone broke down the free throw, and field goal, percentages of our players from last to this year. K-State was the 4th best free throw shooting team in conference last year. This year, they're the worst in conference and almost the worst in P5 basketball teams. If they did it last year, they can do it this year. Some kind of FORCE has taken hold of this program again when it was poised to do great things. It's inexplicable. It's just like a black cloud hangs over the campus.

RubberBandCat

Pick 'Em

Post by RubberBandCat » January 9th, 2019, 1:44 am

Unfortunately everyone will probably beat up on each other outside of AFH. Same old.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 9th, 2019, 2:26 am

Even beat up those teams who are better at recruiting??

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 9th, 2019, 9:06 am

Reduce the upper body weight training and focus on core and lower body exposion, balance and flexibility. Hire a shooting coach.

Make threes and free throws and most teams in the Big 12 win. Miss them and most will lose.
Texas 2 for 22 from three in loss to OSU OSU was 8 for 19 in that game. Febres is now 1 for 8 in the two games after going off against us.
TT 17 for 17 from the line in win against OU.

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » January 9th, 2019, 10:35 am

learnin wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 11:36 pm
This conference is wide open and it's a real shame that Kansas State suffered the injury bug again and is shooting so poorly for some mysterious reason.
Yeah, I am not sure what is mysterious Learnin. In fact this seems like a repeat of last season, the season before that and so on. Injuries are part of the game as it is for any sport. Wade is a factor, but this team can win without him. They did last year.

What surprises me is why it takes half the conference schedule being played before they gain an identity which ends up being the same identity as always. Play suffocating defense; get early scores on fast break from turnovers which allows the team to get in rhythm early. Instead Brown is doing what annoys me most about Stokes, sitting at the top of key dribbling the basketball instead of moving it around for any easy shot. To the contrary, this team seems to be on the same loop as all teams for the past few years.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

learnin

Post by learnin » January 9th, 2019, 10:41 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:06 am
Reduce the upper body weight training and focus on core and lower body exposion, balance and flexibility. Hire a shooting coach.

Make threes and free throws and most teams in the Big 12 win. Miss them and most will lose.
Texas 2 for 22 from three in loss to OSU OSU was 8 for 19 in that game. Febres is now 1 for 8 in the two games after going off against us.
TT 17 for 17 from the line in win against OU.
I agree completely with your suggestion about reducing the upper body weight training. I don’t think they need to hire a shooting coach. I don’t think they need to do any extra shooting. This is all mental and the less they talk about it, the better, IMHO. If I’m coach, I’m telling these guys that I have full confidence in their shooting ability. I’m telling them that the shots are going to start falling and to not pass up good open looks. The least these guys think about this shooting problem, the better.

Great point about Texas three point shooting. They’re not a great shooting team. It was simply a matter of Febres catching hold of the force. It was insane. Texas was feeling that force so intensely, they couldn’t wait to cross the center line and let go with a three. Ahead, comfortably with less than three minutes to go, they never even considered taking time off the clock because they knew the next three was going in. That’s the force I continually refer to.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 9th, 2019, 10:47 am

Jax wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 10:35 am
learnin wrote:
This conference is wide open and it's a real shame that Kansas State suffered the injury bug again and is shooting so poorly for some mysterious reason.
Yeah, I am not sure what is mysterious Learnin. In fact this seems like a repeat of last season, the season before that and so on. Injuries are part of the game as it is for any sport. Wade is a factor, but this team can win without him. They did last year.

What surprises me is why it takes half the conference schedule being played before they gain an identity which ends up being the same identity as always. Play suffocating defense; get early scores on fast break from turnovers which allows the team to get in rhythm early. Instead Brown is doing what annoys me most about Stokes, sitting at the top of key dribbling the basketball instead of moving it around for any easy shot. To the contrary, this team seems to be on the same loop as all teams for the past few years.
He’s dribbling because he has no confidence that someone will hit a shot. He’s trying to find an opening so he can drive and make a layup or get fouled. The mystery is this. These same players shot considerably better last year even from the free throw line which has nothing to do with identity. If this team shoots like last year, we are thinking about a conference championship at this very moment.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 9th, 2019, 12:35 pm

learnin wrote:
to the worst teams in conference. This conference is wide open and it's a real shame that Kansas State suffered the injury bug again and is shooting so poorly for some mysterious reason. This was the year that Kansas State could have taken the championship. KU still has, probably, the best overall talent, but our team, healthy, is as good as any in this conference.

Look. Our team has the same exact ball players back. On Twitter, earlier this afternoon, someone broke down the free throw, and field goal, percentages of our players from last to this year. K-State was the 4th best free throw shooting team in conference last year. This year, they're the worst in conference and almost the worst in P5 basketball teams. If they did it last year, they can do it this year. Some kind of FORCE has taken hold of this program again when it was poised to do great things. It's inexplicable. It's just like a black cloud hangs over the campus.
Even though it's a small sample size, when you have two guys on your roster who shoot 30% from the line, it will bring down the average by several points. We didn't have those kind of extreme numbers last year.

When you subtract Trice and Stockard from the equation, their combined 13/41 boosts our average from .625 to .682, quite a significant difference. That's still not good enough, but closer to our number last year. Also, Trice has shot more free throws this season than both Dean Wade and Makol Mawien. SHOCKING!

learnin

Post by learnin » January 9th, 2019, 2:09 pm

learnin

Post by learnin » January 9th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Very important facts from the above article;

1. Last year, K-State had the 5th best free throw shooting % in K-State history.

2. 10 out of 11 players, who shot free throws last year, have poorer percentages this year. Dean is the only one who is improved.