Any update on Special Teams Coach

The defending Big XII Champions
02Cat

Pick 'Em

Any update on Special Teams Coach

Post by 02Cat » January 7th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Sorry if I missed this.

Any update on who will be the Special Teams coach? I wouldn't mind if it were Sean Snyder at all, but can understand if there's mutual interest to avoid this situation. Sean has been a great coordinator over the years and I feel like our Special Teams declined in the last few years when more was put on Sean's plate. No insight, but just my opinion on the matter.

Thanks for any info that anyone may have.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

purplemob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by purplemob » January 7th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Based on the way Klieman ran his staff at NDSU, I would assume there isn't going to be a ST coordinator. Other coaches will be tasked with certain aspects of the special teams portion of the game. Just my thoughts.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » January 7th, 2019, 12:45 pm

purplemob wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:32 pm
Based on the way Klieman ran his staff at NDSU, I would assume there isn't going to be a ST coordinator. Other coaches will be tasked with certain aspects of the special teams portion of the game. Just my thoughts.
That is the assumption I have read elsewhere as well.

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » January 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about that. We have the best special teams overall for the last 20 years. We've won a number of ball games because of our special teams.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 7th, 2019, 3:27 pm

02Cat wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Hmm. Not sure how I feel about that. We have the best special teams overall for the last 20 years. We've won a number of ball games because of our special teams.
I don't like it either 02. What is the logic of not having a Special Teams Coordinator?

purplemob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by purplemob » January 7th, 2019, 3:57 pm

If it means being good enough to not have to rely on special teams like KSU has in Snyder 2.0, I'm good with it. Klieman needs the chance to come in and out his own mark on this program and not just try to be the next LHCBS. Part of the reason I'm happy with the hire is Klieman realizes the resource he has in Snyder but has also made it clear this will be his program done his way. His acknowledgement of that is why many national pundits believe it's a good hire. Klieman believes in the same style of hard nosed physical football that Snyder used to turn the program around. It should be fun to see the changes and progress the next couple years.

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » January 7th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Not having a special teams coordinator allows a staff to have a coach for every position group. KSU has had one coach for both safeties and cornerbacks as long as I can remember and that goes back to the 60s.. I have no idea if the positions are different enough to need separate coaches or not. Klieman has never had a special teams coach at NDSU. He has had separate cornerback and safety coaches as long as he has been a head coach.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 7th, 2019, 6:02 pm

If what I was told is true, assistants from both sides of the ball did a lot of the special teams work, especially these last few years.

Willyks

Post by Willyks » January 7th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Although I agree that we have had the best special teams units in the country for along time, the last couple years have been horrible. I say let him do it his way and see what happens.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » January 7th, 2019, 6:44 pm

A photo of the "first football staff meeting " was posted to Facebook today, CK is at the head of the table, Sean is seated midway at the table so he is on the staff, no titles provided.