Texas Tech Game Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: Texas Tech Game Thread

Post by xtrawildcat » January 6th, 2019, 12:57 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 11:58 am
I agree to the above posts, I can't stand the "aw shucks" attitude prevalent in the fan base. Accepting losing just drives me crazy and is a toxic mindset.
Well aw shucks. My stance to wait and see how the season played out last year after the TT loss was correct. I don't know how it will play out this year but I plan to watch more Big 12 games before going on and on about how bad we are and how bad our players and coaching are. Losing Wade is just as detrimental to our fortunes as having an injured Keenan Evans was to TT last year. We need to get him back and playing well and that will be part of the story.

Again, those predicting a collapse and woe is us may be right this year. I plan to wait a while before jumping off the ledge.

And as a freindly reminder:
These are a few of the comments to my posts last year about letting the season play out and not judging it on a sample of two games. Last year it was WVU loss at home and the TT loss on the road.

1. I get the "wait and see" approach, I truly do. HOWEVER, what you no longer have to wait to see is that the ceiling is perilously low and the floor is rock bottom. This isn't conjecture, it's as plain as the nose on your face. (Guess the ceiling was actually the elite 8)

2. Don't care about the "other" teams we're tied with. That's not relevant to the topic. TCU is ranked and better than us. Do you think we'll finish ahead of them 15 games from now?
Right now this is a race to the bottom between us, ISU and Okie St. That's the way I see it shaking out. Wish I had better news for you, but as you know, the old jalopy just blew a tire. (Actually we finished in fourth place. Guess we lost the race.)

3. If we hit .500 in Big 12 play I will be shocked. (Did that)

4. But ,we are now into year six of his coaching tenure, and still hoping to be a "bubble" team, and hoping to "claw" our way to the upper division of this conference. (Well we did claw our way to the upper division)

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » January 6th, 2019, 3:13 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:55 am
Here is how we did in the first seven conference games of Jake Pullens senior season. Came into that season ranked number 3 in the country. Still turned it around and made it to the tournament. (Started with losses to two unranked teams in OSU and CU)

May not turn it around this year but have a pretty good chance if we get Dean and Kam back. In any case, the games are played to determine a winner and a loser. I think we might as well play the 16 remaining Big 12 games and see how we do.

16 Sat, Jan 8, 2011.... Oklahoma State L 62 76 Gallagher-Iba Arena
17 Wed, Jan 12, 2011....... Colorado L 66 74 Bramlage Coliseum
18 Sat, Jan 15, 2011.......... Texas Tech W 94 60 Bramlage Coliseum
19 Mon, Jan 17, 2011....... Missouri (13) L 59 75 Mizzou Arena
20 Sat, Jan 22, 2011.. Texas A&M (11) L 56 64 Reed Arena
21 Mon, Jan 24, 2011............... Baylor W 69 61 Bramlage Coliseum
22 Sat, Jan 29, 2011.......... Kansas (6) L 66 90 Allen Fieldhouse
It’s a good post xtra, but unfortunately many don’t want to have any optimism, they’d rather just live in their chicken little mentality and be pessimistic about everything and then claim those that chose to not freak out with them just accept losing. It’s quite obvious none of them have ever competed with me in anything. And it’s also pretty obvious they don’t seem to know our coach very well because I can see the frustration in his face after everyone. He just tries his best to not let that attitude spill over into the post game interview. Huggy let that happen this past week after the Tech game. His comments about tech were childish and what the game really doesn’t need, instead of what he said.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 6th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Optimism vs Realism. Two completely different things.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 6th, 2019, 4:08 pm

It truly is unnecessary to mischaracterize any and all critical posts as hysterical, emotional, and irrational.

I could go much, much further, but I'll leave it as unnecessary instead of feeding into the constant and personal escalation that is all too prevalent.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 10:23 am
WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 10:03 am
Is that where we're at, just hoping to make the tournament? Realization that "teams have ups and downs" still sounds like rationalizing, but I suppose reasonable minds can disagree.

I did, in fact, read the part about games being played to determine a winner and a loser. We were the loser.
Rationalization is using a flawed "logical" argument to justify an emotional position. You don't like Weber, which is your right, but it is clearly an emotional position given KSU's great performance last season in the NCAA tournament, equaling the best finish in decades. Taking the position that losing Dean Wade and having a limited Kam Stokes due to injury is not important in evaluating the team's performance at times this season is a flawed "logical" argument you are using to justify your emotional dislike for Weber. That is rationalization. Plainly if Dean Wade had not been injured, KSU would not just be "hoping" to make the NCAA tournament, and you know that. Without Wade and now with an iffy Kam Stokes, yes, KSU has to hope to make the tournament.
You are completely spot on. We're getting a lot of traffic on the forum now and that's a good thing. I enjoy it and I invite it. It is, also, very telling. When things are going good, it's the same old posters. No one is more upset about our slow start than me. I was very critical after our Tulsa loss because we were healthy. I was, also, critical after we blew a 22 point lead to George Mason even without Dean. We shouldn't blow a 22 point lead to George Mason even without Dean. With Kam and Dean both gone, I'm not about to blast players and coaches. They're doing their best under a bad situation.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 6th, 2019, 4:56 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:57 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 11:58 am
I agree to the above posts, I can't stand the "aw shucks" attitude prevalent in the fan base. Accepting losing just drives me crazy and is a toxic mindset.
Well aw shucks. My stance to wait and see how the season played out last year after the TT loss was correct. I don't know how it will play out this year but I plan to watch more Big 12 games before going on and on about how bad we are and how bad our players and coaching are. Losing Wade is just as detrimental to our fortunes as having an injured Keenan Evans was to TT last year. We need to get him back and playing well and that will be part of the story.

Again, those predicting a collapse and woe is us may be right this year. I plan to wait a while before jumping off the ledge.

And as a freindly reminder:
These are a few of the comments to my posts last year about letting the season play out and not judging it on a sample of two games. Last year it was WVU loss at home and the TT loss on the road.

1. I get the "wait and see" approach, I truly do. HOWEVER, what you no longer have to wait to see is that the ceiling is perilously low and the floor is rock bottom. This isn't conjecture, it's as plain as the nose on your face. (Guess the ceiling was actually the elite 8)

2. Don't care about the "other" teams we're tied with. That's not relevant to the topic. TCU is ranked and better than us. Do you think we'll finish ahead of them 15 games from now?
Right now this is a race to the bottom between us, ISU and Okie St. That's the way I see it shaking out. Wish I had better news for you, but as you know, the old jalopy just blew a tire. (Actually we finished in fourth place. Guess we lost the race.)

3. If we hit .500 in Big 12 play I will be shocked. (Did that)

4. But ,we are now into year six of his coaching tenure, and still hoping to be a "bubble" team, and hoping to "claw" our way to the upper division of this conference. (Well we did claw our way to the upper division)

Thanks for posting this, Xtra. It's a classic example of emotionalism at work. Rational, logical minds would look at things like this:

Texas Tech is one of the better teams in the country. I would say that they could beat almost any team in the country on a given night. They out played Duke for much of the game on a neutral court.

Our team goes down to their home court and, without two of our best players, the game is undecided until the last two minutes. During this game, we shoot something like 4 out of 22 from three and we missed nine free throws. Instead of saying: "Our coaches, and players, did a good job of containing Texas Tech. We're proud they made a game of it under the circumstances." Instead of this, they tear into the coach as if the coach missed nine free throws. If our guys hit just six of those free throws, they win this game.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 6th, 2019, 4:59 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 4:08 pm
It truly is unnecessary to mischaracterize any and all critical posts as hysterical, emotional, and irrational.

I could go much, much further, but I'll leave it as unnecessary instead of feeding into the constant and personal escalation that is all too prevalent.
Question: Do you think our 0-2 record has anything...….one slight smidgen...…. to do with the fact that Dean and Kamau are injured?

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 6th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Of course it does. Where have I ever said it didn't? Does that change the fact that our offensive production was terrible with them and without them?

Question: If winning is predicated on holding our opponents under fifty, how many games do you think we'll win?