Texas Tech Game Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: Texas Tech Game Thread

Post by learnin » January 5th, 2019, 11:32 pm

I just finished watching the game. I couldn't watch it live after Mike stole the ball and dribbled down for a lay up. Mike sealed the defender off with his body and Tech player got a hand on the ball. As he did, he came across Mike's arm as plain as day. There is no way in hell you can be sealed off, be behind your man, and block a lay up cleanly without making contact. That used to be an automatic foul.

I digress.

In the first half, Tech put up a shot that missed. Austin Trice made a move to the basket. Tech's player (I think it was 38), facing Austin, deliberately put a hand to Austin's neck and snapped his head back. The ref blew the whistle and the Tech player lifted his hand acknowledging his blatant foul. Ref called it on Trice. The Tech player raised his hand, immediately, because he knew it was a flagrant foul.

Barry was not getting the ball to Kamau in the first half when Kamau was open. Kamau was frustrated.

We're better than Texas Tech even today with Dean on the bench and Kamau playing a little. I knew Tech couldn't lose that many players and still be as good as last year. The Italian kid had the game of his life to keep Tech in the game even when we shot horribly.

Free throw shooting. There is simply no excuse for being so poor. This team really is in a mind funk when it comes to shooting. If they can ever break loose of this head game, they're going to be okay.

Barry did an excellent job on Tech's big scorer. Frustrated the heck out of him.

Neal-Williams needs to see more playing time. He is extremely quick and seems to see the floor well. I would be running some shooting plays for him.

We were hammered down low putting up shots, in the second half, several times without a foul called. Sneed was pushed big time in the back on a shot underneath.

This conference is going to be a shoot out this year and teams are going to lose more games than usual.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 6th, 2019, 12:55 am

Here is how we did in the first seven conference games of Jake Pullens senior season. Came into that season ranked number 3 in the country. Still turned it around and made it to the tournament. (Started with losses to two unranked teams in OSU and CU)

May not turn it around this year but have a pretty good chance if we get Dean and Kam back. In any case, the games are played to determine a winner and a loser. I think we might as well play the 16 remaining Big 12 games and see how we do.

16 Sat, Jan 8, 2011.... Oklahoma State L 62 76 Gallagher-Iba Arena
17 Wed, Jan 12, 2011....... Colorado L 66 74 Bramlage Coliseum
18 Sat, Jan 15, 2011.......... Texas Tech W 94 60 Bramlage Coliseum
19 Mon, Jan 17, 2011....... Missouri (13) L 59 75 Mizzou Arena
20 Sat, Jan 22, 2011.. Texas A&M (11) L 56 64 Reed Arena
21 Mon, Jan 24, 2011............... Baylor W 69 61 Bramlage Coliseum
22 Sat, Jan 29, 2011.......... Kansas (6) L 66 90 Allen Fieldhouse

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 6th, 2019, 8:58 am

Is this some sort of rationalization of ugly, losing basketball?

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 6th, 2019, 9:55 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 8:58 am
Is this some sort of rationalization of ugly, losing basketball?
Just some history and realization that teams have ups and downs. And the basketball that 2011 team played at the start of the Big 12 season was also ugly losing basketball including getting blown out by KU. So I still like our chances to make the tournament but I'm not even predicting it or going to argue about it. The next 16 games will decide.

And maybe you failed to read this part.

May not turn it around this year but have a pretty good chance if we get Dean and Kam back. In any case, the games are played to determine a winner and a loser. I think we might as well play the 16 remaining Big 12 games and see how we do.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 6th, 2019, 10:03 am

Is that where we're at, just hoping to make the tournament? Realization that "teams have ups and downs" still sounds like rationalizing, but I suppose reasonable minds can disagree.

I did, in fact, read the part about games being played to determine a winner and a loser. We were the loser.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » January 6th, 2019, 10:23 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 10:03 am
Is that where we're at, just hoping to make the tournament? Realization that "teams have ups and downs" still sounds like rationalizing, but I suppose reasonable minds can disagree.

I did, in fact, read the part about games being played to determine a winner and a loser. We were the loser.
Rationalization is using a flawed "logical" argument to justify an emotional position. You don't like Weber, which is your right, but it is clearly an emotional position given KSU's great performance last season in the NCAA tournament, equaling the best finish in decades. Taking the position that losing Dean Wade and having a limited Kam Stokes due to injury is not important in evaluating the team's performance at times this season is a flawed "logical" argument you are using to justify your emotional dislike for Weber. That is rationalization. Plainly if Dean Wade had not been injured, KSU would not just be "hoping" to make the NCAA tournament, and you know that. Without Wade and now with an iffy Kam Stokes, yes, KSU has to hope to make the tournament.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 6th, 2019, 10:28 am

I'm just taking it one game at a time. Strange things happen in college BB. For instance, the KSU women's last 2 games. Get beat by 40 and then win by 30 the next game. Only difference, the treys were falling.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 6th, 2019, 10:36 am

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 10:23 am
You don't like Weber, which is your right, but it is clearly an emotional position given KSU's great performance last season in the NCAA tournament, equaling the best finish in decades.
This is an absolute lie, either out of ignorance or deliberate. It's not only an irrelevant lie, it's also totally unnecessary, and quite unseemly.

I like Coach Weber. I like Coach Weber more than many of our previous coaches. What I don't like is losing, and I really don't like the "aw shucks, thems the breaks and we were never going to win anyway" rationalizations.

I would request that you also quote where I've ever said that losing Dean or having a limited Kam is insignificant or not important.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 6th, 2019, 11:41 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 10:36 am
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 10:23 am
You don't like Weber, which is your right, but it is clearly an emotional position given KSU's great performance last season in the NCAA tournament, equaling the best finish in decades.
This is an absolute lie, either out of ignorance or deliberate. It's not only an irrelevant lie, it's also totally unnecessary, and quite unseemly.

I like Coach Weber. I like Coach Weber more than many of our previous coaches. What I don't like is losing, and I really don't like the "aw shucks, thems the breaks and we were never going to win anyway" rationalizations.

I would request that you also quote where I've ever said that losing Dean or having a limited Kam is insignificant or not important.
WildcatWillie, this is a great post. Mostly because you are telling the truth, and you are rightfully challenging this poster who routinely judges and mischaracterizes others because of his bias and ignorance. He's the spin master of this forum. He thinks he's above all the rest of us in his understanding of this basketball team, and if you fail to go along with his Pollyanna propaganda, he'll strike out at you. Calling you "emotional" is demeaning, and frankly mean. He has no right to judge your temperament as a fan, or your opinions regarding this team. We are all unique individuals who bring a myriad of knowledge and experiences into discussions on this forum. There should never be fan "clones" who follow along with the opinions of any one poster. Enough said.

I totally understand your frustration with this team, and it has nothing to do with hating Weber, but perhaps something to do with what was achieved last year. That, in some ways, was an anomaly when viewed along side what we did in the regular season. This is a new year, and with each new year you are starting over. Given that, we may be playing similar to, or slightly below our abilities. And the injuries have contributed to the equation. The Elite 8 was "fools gold", and should have been put in perspective. We were not a top 12 team coming into this season. Beating Kentucky last season does not make us that, anymore than Sneed's 30 point game in the tournament makes him a first round draft pick. Small sample sizes are not good measuring devices.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 6th, 2019, 11:58 am

I agree to the above posts, I can't stand the "aw shucks" attitude prevalent in the fan base. Accepting losing just drives me crazy and is a toxic mindset.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"