Zoltar

Dana Holgorsen to Houston??

Post by Zoltar » December 31st, 2018, 10:35 pm

Why would he leave P5 UWV to go to Houston? This has to be more than money:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -holgorsen
Win the dang day!

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » December 31st, 2018, 10:45 pm

i always wonder: how much money is enough money?
let's say he's averaged 3 mill/yr for past 6 years. that's a lot of money to spend in West By God Virginia.

dude might have sacks of it stashed in the market and be very independent. maybe go anywhere he wants and get out ahead of fans who might not treat him as gently as we treated HCBS?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » January 1st, 2019, 12:02 am

It would appear to be a step back.

Only advantage he might, might, have at Houston is recruiting because of his style and all the 7 on 7 played in Texas.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » January 1st, 2019, 4:38 am

It is already being reported that he is taking the job.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... untaineers
Win the dang day!

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 1st, 2019, 6:15 am

Zoltar wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 4:38 am
It is already being reported that he is taking the job.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... untaineers
I don't doubt it. He's getting heat, but to be fair, it was also reported that Gary Patterson (first time) and Seth Littrell (second time) we're taking the job.

ksuaggrad

Post by ksuaggrad » January 1st, 2019, 7:16 am

Good on Houston if it's true - but it was also reported that Kingsbury turned them down! Seriously? You offer a guy that was fired a month ago with a losing record as head coach and your SECOND choice is another coach from the same conference with more experience and a winning record? One of the stories isn't true.

https://thespun.com/college-football/kl ... hing-offer

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » January 1st, 2019, 10:42 am

I have always been told not to ever make a lateral move professionally. This isn't a lateral move. It's like going from the loft with a mountain view to the basement. WTF?
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 1st, 2019, 10:49 am

Looks like he makes $2mil a year more in Houston. And I suspect there is more ‘potentia’ in Houston. WVU is peaked out serving as an OU toady in the Big 12. I also think the stranglehold the 4 leagues have on the playoff will eventually loosen and it will expand, giving schools like Houston a foot in the door. So, it could be good for him long term.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » January 1st, 2019, 11:13 am

Could have something to do with conference travel heading 1/2 way across the country over and over and over?

That HAS to be a pain in the ass. I am still confused as to why WVU joined a conference where their closest road game is in Ames Iowa. That takes it's toll on students, staff and the coaching staff. Football is actually impacted the least whereas basketball and baseball sure has to strain everyone with long trips like that week after week after week.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 1st, 2019, 11:23 am

frank haith went from missouri to tulsa. frank martin went k-state to usc,e. there are often underlying reasons. i think dana was tired of wvu, and they were just as tired of his schtick.
Why is there something rather than nothing?