goings-on at other football programs ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: goings-on at other football programs ...

Post by tmcats » November 29th, 2022, 12:31 pm

wild@nite wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 12:27 pm
Im curious as to why you would want someone you've lost confidence in being around? Personally, if I was sure enough to tell them a change is needed, then I wouldn't want them representing my institution, or company, etc... Would a regular business do that? "Hey, we think you are failing at your job, but we aren't going to fire you for 4 months. Makes no sense to me.

I guess what I'm saying is, either fire them or don't have that conversation until the last week. I think it's dangerous to have the conversation in September and keep them around until December.
Just my two cents.
wild, that seems to be what's happening at wvu. neil brown is just waiting for the executioner to be hired, or is he? what a mess.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » November 29th, 2022, 12:52 pm

I believe Gene Taylor handles terminations correctly. Lays out clear expectations for the program/year. Articulates consequences for failing to meet those expectations. And follows through after the season. Weber and Fritz come to mind.
These users thanked the author PurpleOnWhite for the post (total 4):
tmcatskswildcatKatmandew1984stlcatfan

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » November 29th, 2022, 4:34 pm

https://twitter.com/forsportsonly/statu ... TyhLAgRpTg

Hugh Freeze has agreed to "relinquish control of his social media accounts" as part of his new head coaching job at Auburn, per @SInow.

You pay a person $millions$ but you cannot trust him on Twitter........only in the SEC.

Matisse228

Pick 'Em

Post by Matisse228 » November 29th, 2022, 4:56 pm

Tmcats, I believe they will keep Neal Brown for at least another year. The game vs Oklahoma State showed that he didn’t lose the team, like people had been saying. And of course they would have to shell out a lot of money to him ($16M).
tmcats wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 12:31 pm
wild@nite wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 12:27 pm
Im curious as to why you would want someone you've lost confidence in being around? Personally, if I was sure enough to tell them a change is needed, then I wouldn't want them representing my institution, or company, etc... Would a regular business do that? "Hey, we think you are failing at your job, but we aren't going to fire you for 4 months. Makes no sense to me.

I guess what I'm saying is, either fire them or don't have that conversation until the last week. I think it's dangerous to have the conversation in September and keep them around until December.
Just my two cents.
wild, that seems to be what's happening at wvu. neil brown is just waiting for the executioner to be hired, or is he? what a mess.
These users thanked the author Matisse228 for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » November 29th, 2022, 5:26 pm

Matisse228 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:56 pm
Tmcats, I believe they will keep Neal Brown for at least another year. The game vs Oklahoma State showed that he didn’t lose the team, like people had been saying. And of course they would have to shell out a lot of money to him ($16M).
tmcats wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 12:31 pm

That’s the kicker in the whole deal is the buyout. If that wasn’t such a huge factor he’d be gone IMO.

I just don’t understand programs putting in these huge buyouts in contracts or guaranteed contracts. I have a hard time believing they would be unable to get the coach to agree without them. I think they just commit themselves unnecessarily. Could be something much more reasonable on both sides.

Matisse228

Pick 'Em

Post by Matisse228 » November 29th, 2022, 5:51 pm

Buyouts work both ways. They are also put in place to protect the school if and when a coach decides to leave for greener pastures. Need to check how his buyout ( if he is let go) compares to the buyout owed to the school if he himself decides to leave.
bhoovy wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:26 pm
Matisse228 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:56 pm

That’s the kicker in the whole deal is the buyout. If that wasn’t such a huge factor he’d be gone IMO.

I just don’t understand programs putting in these huge buyouts in contracts or guaranteed contracts. I have a hard time believing they would be unable to get the coach to agree without them. I think they just commit themselves unnecessarily. Could be something much more reasonable on both sides.

ksuatheart

Post by ksuatheart » November 29th, 2022, 6:06 pm

I was listening to the 580 program a few minutes ago, and they were discussing Liepold's extension, and said that if they haven't shown legitimate progress on the stadium, his buyout will be cut in half, which means he won't be sticking around if somebody shows him the money. This might be what it takes to get KU to take football seriously. That and The Big 10 not wanting them.
These users thanked the author ksuatheart for the post:
stlcatfan

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » November 29th, 2022, 7:42 pm

ksuatheart wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 6:06 pm
I was listening to the 580 program a few minutes ago, and they were discussing Liepold's extension, and said that if they haven't shown legitimate progress on the stadium, his buyout will be cut in half, which means he won't be sticking around if somebody shows him the money. This might be what it takes to get KU to take football seriously. That and The Big 10 not wanting them.
Who gets to define legitimate progress?
These users thanked the author JOKKO for the post (total 2):
ColdfeetMatisse228

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » November 29th, 2022, 9:02 pm

JOKKO wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 7:42 pm
ksuatheart wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 6:06 pm
Who gets to define legitimate progress?
KU does not have the $350,000,000. This might be an inside collaboration to motivate the big money donors to open up. Coach Liepold threatening to move on would break free some cash.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

ksuatheart

Post by ksuatheart » November 29th, 2022, 11:45 pm

I'm not really sure, I didn't read the contract, and not sure if the radio guys had the wording precisely correct, or if it's spelled out specifically what measures would have to be made by the deadline, which I think they said would be the end of next year. Maybe it is a plan has to be on place, and fundraising started, with a particular dollar amount raised.

The thing is, if KU fails to get a jump start with this season, they probably will be stuck taking candidates like the last coach who was a position coach when he got the job. Who would take the job if KU boosters basically refuse to support the only decent squad they've had outside of Mangino in nearly 30 years and have only been above .500 in conference about 5 times in almost 50 years.