Cartier Diarra - just a FYI

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Sir Ocelot

Cartier Diarra - just a FYI

Post by Sir Ocelot » December 3rd, 2020, 10:37 pm

Cartier played in games against - Radford, Villanova, and South Florida.

Averaging 20 MPG, 7.7 points, 3 assists, and 1.7 TOs.

Worst game was against Villanova.

Did not play tonight against VMI. I was unable to find out why.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » December 3rd, 2020, 10:59 pm

He’s getting good minutes and Va Tech has started off doing very well being undefeated so far with an upset of Nova. I’m sure he’s pretty happy with his decision. I certainly have no ill will towards him.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » December 4th, 2020, 12:16 am

bhoovy wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:59 pm
He’s getting good minutes and Va Tech has started off doing very well being undefeated so far with an upset of Nova. I’m sure he’s pretty happy with his decision. I certainly have no ill will towards him.
Yeah I agree with this. Bruce and his relationship had kind of ran its course and a mutual parting was probably the best thing. All the losing last year seemed to frustrate Cartier and it led to some uncomfortable exchanges with the staff imo.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » December 4th, 2020, 8:09 am

Well, I could be wrong, but to me this also points out that although we argued a lot about last year and lack of leadership, etc, quite honestly, we were no good last year because of a pure lack of talent from the few years of empty recruiting. We were leaning heavily on Carti to win Big 12 games and as a 5th year guy, he doesn't start for Va Tech? Xavier as well, very good player, can play a really good role on a really good team, but didn't have the all around game night in and night out to be the best player on a really good team. Mak was limited, Mike is a role player on a good team, and after that it was non-P5 caliber players and freshman that were average ranked.

Our issues last year were talent-based moreso than anything else.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2020, 10:45 am

i watched a little bit of the v'tech/nova game and that was enough of carti for me. but i agree with the general tenor here, last year's team was just not b12 caliber talent-wise. glad k-state has turned that page.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » December 4th, 2020, 11:49 am

I do kind of wonder how Cartier could have done at the 2 spot, with a quality PG like Pack running the show. But like you guys said, Cartier didn't jive well with the staff or did he have the supporting talent last year. Definitely a good move for him.

catl

Post by catl » December 4th, 2020, 11:53 am

Newspaper article said Cartier missed VMI game because he overslept and missed his COVID test, so had to sit out by team rules
These users thanked the author catl for the post:
tmcats

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » December 4th, 2020, 12:44 pm

catl wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 11:53 am
Newspaper article said Cartier missed VMI game because he overslept and missed his COVID test, so had to sit out by team rules
Oh wow. 🤦‍♂️

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » December 4th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:09 am
Well, I could be wrong, but to me this also points out that although we argued a lot about last year and lack of leadership, etc, quite honestly, we were no good last year because of a pure lack of talent from the few years of empty recruiting. We were leaning heavily on Carti to win Big 12 games and as a 5th year guy, he doesn't start for Va Tech? Xavier as well, very good player, can play a really good role on a really good team, but didn't have the all around game night in and night out to be the best player on a really good team. Mak was limited, Mike is a role player on a good team, and after that it was non-P5 caliber players and freshman that were average ranked.

Maybe he want's Cartier to "earn" a starting spot, which is hard to do in make shift Covid practices, I'm sure. And..... It's also a possibility that VT's coach reached out to BW and he got the truth about his temperament at times. And he also may have some chemistry that Cartier has to work into, not vice versa.

Having said all of that, I don't disagree that we lacked talent, but if I'm VT, no way I start a 5th year transfer who was caught on national TV berating his coach, etc.... ahead of kids with a past and a future in the program past this year. Not this early anyway.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » December 4th, 2020, 2:04 pm

wild@nite wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 1:55 pm
Gorhoops wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:09 am

Maybe he want's Cartier to "earn" a starting spot, which is hard to do in make shift Covid practices, I'm sure. And..... It's also a possibility that VT's coach reached out to BW and he got the truth about his temperament at times. And he also may have some chemistry that Cartier has to work into, not vice versa.

Having said all of that, I don't disagree that we lacked talent, but if I'm VT, no way I start a 5th year transfer who was caught on national TV berating his coach, etc.... ahead of kids with a past and a future in the program past this year. Not this early anyway.

Especially if he over-slept yesterday and missed his covid test. Crazy way to miss a game.