Media's 2020 All-B12 team ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: Media's 2020 All-B12 team ...

Post by tmcats » July 18th, 2020, 10:56 am

katlander nails it for me. this team is way undervalued coming into the season, but that's nothing new for k-state dating back thirty years now, see link. if the inexperienced o'line is as good as some people think, this will be a really fun squad that will slobber-knock a lot of other more highly publicized squads.

i like texas this year but they're always overrated, so I'm not sure why other than sam is a hell of fine college QB. oSu should be good if they can get over gundy's internal issues. he's always best when under the gun. ou, who knows what their next 5* QB will bring? isu is overrated. the rest of the league is a muddle, including k-state.

oSu
texas
ou
k-state
isu
baylor
tcu
wvu
txt
ku
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 18th, 2020, 11:03 am

katlander wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 9:47 am
K-State could be really good. Solid almost everywhere. O-line is the biggest question mark and the coaches think we will be good there. Some big play guys at wide outs and several good young backs. Skylar will be one of the best in the league. D should be solid with a potential all defensive player in Wyatt. Linebackers should be very good. D backs good, experienced corners. Hopefully we have 3 or 4 decent d-tackles to clog and plug. Not a game we can't win.
I see Skylar as about the 5th or 6th best QB in the league. It's so weird how he's likely going to own every KSU QB record ever, but has never been a top 3-4 QB. He won't be this year either imo. That's not a knock, just that there are some good returnees in the conference (Ehlinger, Brewer, Sanders, Purdy, Duggan) and one new guy who may end up being the best, in Rattler. I see no way Skylar will be better than #5 in the conference, but if I'm wrong and he is, we may win 9-10 games.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 19th, 2020, 10:27 am

We have always done well with experienced senior QBs. I look for Skylar to have his best year. Hopefully he stays healthy. Last year we beat OU We didn't lose a ton on D which was our strength. The coaching change is a concern. Also we are in year 3 of Coach Klieman recruiting and coaching and I see that as a huge positive. Hopefully we have 4 or 5 breakout newcomers who are big contributors. Also many good young players with another year of growth and experience. We should be good and could be very good. We should be getting to the level of play Coach Klieman teams are capable of.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 19th, 2020, 12:13 pm

katlander wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 10:27 am
We have always done well with experienced senior QBs. I look for Skylar to have his best year. Hopefully he stays healthy. Last year we beat OU We didn't lose a ton on D which was our strength. The coaching change is a concern. Also we are in year 3 of Coach Klieman recruiting and coaching and I see that as a huge positive. Hopefully we have 4 or 5 breakout newcomers who are big contributors. Also many good young players with another year of growth and experience. We should be good and could be very good. We should be getting to the level of play Coach Klieman teams are capable of.
We are not in year 3 of Klieman coaching. He was hired in December 2018. 19 months ago, so basically a year and a half.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 19th, 2020, 2:10 pm

wild@nite wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 12:13 pm
katlander wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 10:27 am
We are not in year 3 of Klieman coaching. He was hired in December 2018. 19 months ago, so basically a year and a half.
It seems longer but its been a long year. 2020 seems like its been going on for 2 years and we are just over half way through. in my mind the fact that Klieman has only been here for one full season makes what he did in 2019 even more impressive. Even if it is only year 2 I think his program is well established. We are probably only a year or 2 away from being consistently at or near the top of the league.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 19th, 2020, 2:41 pm

I hope so. It would be nice to get back to 9-10 win seasons before the next round of realignment talks.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 19th, 2020, 9:11 pm

wild@nite wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 2:41 pm
I hope so. It would be nice to get back to 9-10 win seasons before the next round of realignment talks.
That's a lot to ask but I think we have a great coach. This year will tell us a lot, IMO.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 20th, 2020, 10:35 am

last year told me all i need to know about klieman.

beat the crap out of ku in Lawrence
beat top five Oklahoma
beat an sec team in their crib
won 8 and went bowling
b12 preseason picked #9, finished tied for #3
recruited guys like Youngblood and Wright
won over his quarterback
replaced two defensive coordinators
did not forget snyder's tradition
won over the fanbase
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
purplehairedladyspot2180
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 20th, 2020, 12:54 pm

wild@nite wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 11:03 am
katlander wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 9:47 am
K-State could be really good. Solid almost everywhere. O-line is the biggest question mark and the coaches think we will be good there. Some big play guys at wide outs and several good young backs. Skylar will be one of the best in the league. D should be solid with a potential all defensive player in Wyatt. Linebackers should be very good. D backs good, experienced corners. Hopefully we have 3 or 4 decent d-tackles to clog and plug. Not a game we can't win.
I see Skylar as about the 5th or 6th best QB in the league. It's so weird how he's likely going to own every KSU QB record ever, but has never been a top 3-4 QB. He won't be this year either imo. That's not a knock, just that there are some good returnees in the conference (Ehlinger, Brewer, Sanders, Purdy, Duggan) and one new guy who may end up being the best, in Rattler. I see no way Skylar will be better than #5 in the conference, but if I'm wrong and he is, we may win 9-10 games.
I'm not sure what the hype is around Duggan. He had the worst QB rating of Big 12 starting QBs. He had the worst completion % of Big 12 QBs at 53.4%, which was 6% behind Skylar who was 2nd to worst. He had the worst yards per attempt of Big 12 QBs. And that was throwing to a 1st round NFL talent WR in Jalen Reagor, who is no longer there. Now he did do quite a bit of damage with his legs, but his 3 best rushing games were losses, so it's going to take a lot more to win games then that. I know the former 4* HS recruit still gives him a shine, but what has he shown at TCU to jump into the top 1/2 of Big 12 QBs?

Everyone also assumes that Spencer Rattler is going to be great, because he was a top HS recruit, and is at OU with a good HC, but he is a bit of a wildcard because when was the last time OU, or Riley, had that young of a QB? His last 3 QBs were all upperclassmen transfers. I'm sure he will succeed because of that is said, but I can also see some games where an experienced defensive coach figures out how to rattle (get it?) him into those new starter mistakes.

Sanders needs to get his INTs down. Tylan Wallace makes his job a lot easier, but he is very much a high risk/high reward type QB. He is an example of a QB hitting that freshman wall at the start of Big 12 play.

The term game manager gets a lot of negative publicity, because they won't light up the stats, or have highlight reels, or win a lot of awards, but Thompson is that and that is what CK wants in his QB. The one thing that Thompson does extremely well is he doesn't turn the ball over. Now that may be because he doesn't take risks throwing into tight windows, but a team that relies still on a lot of ball control, that is critical. He won't ever be in placed in the top of the Big 12 QBs rankings, or KSU rankings, because of such, but he does fit the system in place. Lets see what happens if he can have healthy WRs for the full year as well. I agree he is probably still in the 5th/6th QB range though.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 20th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Agree with pretty much everything you said. I've watched some film on Rattler. This kid is special.