stlcatfan

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by stlcatfan » June 19th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Thanks for the updates.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Grind Therapy
Been thanked: 0

Post by Grind Therapy » July 12th, 2020, 8:57 am

I wonder if the recruiting staff is or have scouted this kid at JCHS? Brother of one of the top receivers in the nation transferred to Hawaii.

Marcello Bussey (@Mbussey_) Tweeted:
Junior szn highlight https://t.co/CZgiNmCiMD

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 17th, 2020, 10:09 am

There is an interesting, or maybe not so interesting, trend going on with KS recruits. You will see them tweet that KSU is their first offer and then 3-6 hours later, here comes KU with an offer. They may be scouting the same players at the same camps, or KU could just be reacting to a KSU offer and not wanting to miss out on a KS kid, who knows. Will be fun to watch where these kids end up, if they even stay in state and don't get snagged by the thieves of ISU, NU, Iowa, etc.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » July 17th, 2020, 11:35 am

AJcat7755 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:09 am
There is an interesting, or maybe not so interesting, trend going on with KS recruits. You will see them tweet that KSU is their first offer and then 3-6 hours later, here comes KU with an offer. They may be scouting the same players at the same camps, or KU could just be reacting to a KSU offer and not wanting to miss out on a KS kid, who knows. Will be fun to watch where these kids end up, if they even stay in state and don't get snagged by the thieves of ISU, NU, Iowa, etc.
Sounds like lazy recruiting on KU's part.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » July 17th, 2020, 1:09 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
I saw that too, with Jaren Kanak. He didn't have a single offer until KSU and then later that day after it was reported, in comes KU.

Seems to be 3 nice prospects out of Hays, and I think our staff is doing a good job recruiting them. I think we have a good shot at all 3(though don't think we've offered Haselhorst yet).

MGPcat

Post by MGPcat » July 17th, 2020, 8:31 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
To be fair, they pretty much offer everyone. I mean, I got an offer from them last week, and I’m 48, never played organized football, and my knees hurt!

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 18th, 2020, 11:06 am

This is true. The last I knew, they had offered 438 kids for 2021 and already over 200 for 2022. Meanwhile, we have offered 169 in 2021 and like 40 for 2022. Kansas HS coaches with a brain will start seeing through this, especially when multiple kids get screwed in the process. That's naturally going to happen with recruiting, but it's going to become very common when you offer this many kids.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 18th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Picked a school:
Jayden Johnson - S from GA - Choose South Carolina
Raheem Roberts - WR from LA - Choose Memphis
Jatius Geer - SDE from SC - Choose Syracuse
Jordan Grier - S from GA - Choose Indiana
Noah Pulealii - OG from CA - Top 7 was cut down to Top 6 and KSU was not on it

Updated list of "Warm" or higher

Jeremiah Crawford - JUCO OT from Butler - Top 3: KSU, Ole Miss and Balyor (who hasn't offered) - 2 Predictions (no confidence set) to KSU

Andrew Leingang - OT from ND - Top 3: KSU, Minnesota, Stanford - No predictions

Malachi Thomas - RB from GA - Top 10: Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, Georgia Southern, KSU, Memphis, Middle Tennessee State, UCF, Virginia Tech, Western Kentucky - No predictions

Jimmy Valsin - WR from TX - Top 5 expanded to Top 8: Colorado, Houston, Illinois, Indiana, KSU, Oregon State, Syracuse, Utah - No predictions

Tobechi Okoli - SDE from KCMO - Top 8: Auburn, Georgia, KSU, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, NU, OU - 1 prediction with 5 confidence to Nebraska, 1 prediction with 4 confidence to OU

Makai Cope - WR from CA - Top 5: Arizona State, KSU, Michigan, Stanford, USC - 1 prediction with 6 confidence to Stanford

KSU does have a good relationship with Butler with many Butler players going to KSU, Tayler Braet's dad being the DL coach and their OC/QB coach is former KSU player Brice Vignery. So lets see if Crawford becomes the next Butler to KSU connection.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on July 23rd, 2020, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 21st, 2020, 10:54 am

KsJoey wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 1:09 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
I saw that too, with Jaren Kanak. He didn't have a single offer until KSU and then later that day after it was reported, in comes KU.

Seems to be 3 nice prospects out of Hays, and I think our staff is doing a good job recruiting them. I think we have a good shot at all 3(though don't think we've offered Haselhorst yet).
I think with Kanak, he was being scouted at the Sharp Performance Camp (run by former KU player Jake Sharp) and both programs were there among many others. This is where a lot of the unknown or underrated KS players get noticed and he had a good showing where he ran a 4.41 40 yard. Surprised more programs didn't offer as a result. It would be a good sell for a program to get all 3 Hays players as a package deal.

To be fair, it's not always KSU first. Like with Noah Bolticoff, who got a KU offer first, then a KSU offer a few days later. As we know, he picked KSU until TCU came along and offered. Seems like it's a combination of wanting to scout the player on their own, maybe their hand being forced by another school's offer, or trying to be the first one on a kid. There appears to be a lot of chess games being played sometimes, or maybe it just appears that way.

In the instance where a recruit choose to go to KSU or KU and had offers from both, here are the results in the Klieman v. Miles era:

2021:
KSU - Dorian Stephens, Brenen Hawkins
KU - Devin Neal

2020:
KSU - Will Howard, Witt Mitchum, Sam Shields, Nate Matlack, Malachi Mitchell
KU - Lawrence Arnold, Malik Johnson

2019:
KSU - Jax Dineen, Cooper Beebe, Logan Wilson, Chris Herron, Keenen Garber
KU - Gavin Potter, Velton Gardner
These users thanked the author AJcat7755 for the post:
stlcatfan

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » July 24th, 2020, 10:12 am

KSU recently offered 2 more 2021 KS kids.

Local Manhattan DT Damian Illalio and WR Darrell Jones from Coffeyville. Pretty much assumed that Illalio will pick KSU

As well as a recent offer to complete the Hays trio to Gaven Haselhorst. Along with Jaren Kanak and Gavin Meyers, this potential trio package deal could be huge.

If your tracking along, that is 8 offers to 2022 KS kids already when in 2021, there were only 8 offers (so far) to KS HS kids
Last edited by AJcat7755 on July 27th, 2020, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.