covid: why is the conversation over total case numbers? and not death rates?

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
KITNooga
Posts: 6626
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am

Re: covid: why is the conversation over total case numbers? and not death rates?

Post by KITNooga » June 29th, 2020, 10:36 pm

purpleprairiecat wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:42 pm
You appear to have used three sources for your information. You should list them all so that readers can check this out unless you are trying to hide the sources. The first graph that you used is from a Google search that is impossible for readers to verify. Honestly, I don't trust that graph. For one thing, the data are over a week old. The numbers also are not matching with data that I found from the Georgia Department of Public Health (https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report) and from the CDC COVID Data Tracker website (https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases)
funny isn't it?

the data/graphs were taken from the Georgia Department of Public Health just a few short hours ago. the graphs are from HERE: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report
Georgie department of Health. Look at that. same site you accessed. I just put the two graphs side by side via extra effort on my part so as to help avoid confusion. that clearly worked.

perhaps you can tell me how this data is DIFFERENT than what CDC has? I'd be curious. meanwhile, take a bit of a read: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... as/611935/

the death rates for the WORLD are from here: https://www.statista.com/chart/21170/co ... worldwide/

the death rates for STATES are from here: https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/


so, no, not 'three different sources'. but two for sure (technically, statistica is a compilation from multiple sources ).
Data are based on reports by states and counties at the time of publication. Local governments may revise reported numbers as they get new information.


first because the presentation of the data makes it easy enough to understand AND covers off on the confirmed versus 'yet to be confirmed' concerns voiced. (Georgia department of health: show me another state that makes the data as easy to understand)

dig into the data for statistica. tell me how it's wrong. if you look up above, there's 'some' question into the validity of the way CDC is/has reported data.

but you knew that, right?


I just LOVE how the 'brush back/go to' pitch is to call into question the data source, but you never ever seem to present facts to support your aspersions.

if you're gonna tell me I'm wrong, better figure to tell me HOW I'm wrong. just don't be lazy about it.

User avatar
purpleprairiecat
Posts: 2119
Joined: May 18th, 2014, 1:16 pm
Location: Manhattan, KS

Post by purpleprairiecat » June 29th, 2020, 11:37 pm

KITNooga wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 10:36 pm
purpleprairiecat wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:42 pm
You appear to have used three sources for your information. You should list them all so that readers can check this out unless you are trying to hide the sources. The first graph that you used is from a Google search that is impossible for readers to verify. Honestly, I don't trust that graph. For one thing, the data are over a week old. The numbers also are not matching with data that I found from the Georgia Department of Public Health (https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report) and from the CDC COVID Data Tracker website (https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases)
funny isn't it?

the data/graphs were taken from the Georgia Department of Public Health just a few short hours ago. the graphs are from HERE: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report
Georgie department of Health. Look at that. same site you accessed. I just put the two graphs side by side via extra effort on my part so as to help avoid confusion. that clearly worked.

perhaps you can tell me how this data is DIFFERENT than what CDC has? I'd be curious. meanwhile, take a bit of a read: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... as/611935/

the death rates for the WORLD are from here: https://www.statista.com/chart/21170/co ... worldwide/

the death rates for STATES are from here: https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/


so, no, not 'three different sources'. but two for sure (technically, statistica is a compilation from multiple sources ).
Data are based on reports by states and counties at the time of publication. Local governments may revise reported numbers as they get new information.


first because the presentation of the data makes it easy enough to understand AND covers off on the confirmed versus 'yet to be confirmed' concerns voiced. (Georgia department of health: show me another state that makes the data as easy to understand)

dig into the data for statistica. tell me how it's wrong. if you look up above, there's 'some' question into the validity of the way CDC is/has reported data.

but you knew that, right?


I just LOVE how the 'brush back/go to' pitch is to call into question the data source, but you never ever seem to present facts to support your aspersions.

if you're gonna tell me I'm wrong, better figure to tell me HOW I'm wrong. just don't be lazy about it.
Not funny at all. It is still difficult to sort this out because you are using an older version of the data than I am looking at. Why didn't you cite your source to begin with instead of having me waste 15 minutes trying to figure out where you got your data so that I could evaluate it?

ChemicalKat
Posts: 4973
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 9:18 am

Post by ChemicalKat » June 30th, 2020, 5:25 am

Ksuminnesotacat wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:05 pm
And then there is this,
♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot easily achieve ‘mail-in’ voting; which they desperately need in key battleground states in order to control the outcome.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot shut down rallies and political campaigning efforts of President Trump; which they desperate need to do in key battleground states.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot block the campaign contrast between an energetic President Trump and a physically tenuous, mentally compromised, challenger.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have an excuse for cancelling the DNC convention in Milwaukee; thereby blocking Team Bernie Sanders from visible opposition while protecting candidate gibberish from himself.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have a mechanism to keep voters isolated from each-other; limiting communication and national debate adverse to their interests. COVID-19 panic pushes the national conversation into the digital space where Big Tech controls every element of the conversation.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot keep their Blue state economies easily shut-down and continue to block U.S. economic growth. All thriving economies are against the political interests of Democrats.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot easily keep club candidate Joe Biden sealed in the basement; where the electorate is not exposed to visible signs of his dementia.

♦Without COVID-19 panic it becomes more difficult for Big Tech to censor voices that would outline the fraud and scheme. With COVID-19 panic they have a better method and an excuse.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot advance, influence, or organize their preferred presidential debate format, a ‘virtual presidential debate’ series.

[Comrade Gretchen Whitmer knows this plan, hence she cancelled the Michigan venue]

All of these, and more, strategic outcomes are based on the manufactured weaponization of the COVID-19 virus to achieve a larger political objective. There is ZERO benefit to anyone other than Democrats for the overwhelming hype surrounding COVID-19.

It is not coincidental that all corporate media are all-in to facilitate the demanded fear that Democrats need in order to achieve their objectives. Thus there is an alignment of all big government institutions and multinationals to support the same.

Nothing is coincidental. Everything is political.
Lunacy

ChemicalKat
Posts: 4973
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 9:18 am

Post by ChemicalKat » June 30th, 2020, 5:28 am

KITNooga wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 10:15 pm
ChemicalKat wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Death is a lagging variable. Don’t hang your hat here. You will be proven wrong.
CK, you keep going down that weak hole of an excuse. there's enough time, data to see trends and, you know, kinda MODEL what's really going on.

that divergence between cases and deaths? that's real. those are actual data points. you can look at the verified data, with predictions of future state... it's ALL THERE in the graphs.

and those graphs all show a very different story that depends upon whether or not you focus on CASES of Covid, or 'deaths WITH COVID'.

don't they?
This wave started last week. Death is a 3-4 week lagging variable.

Ksuminnesotacat
Posts: 3002
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 9:56 am

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » June 30th, 2020, 5:47 am

ChemicalKat wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 5:25 am
Ksuminnesotacat wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:05 pm
And then there is this,
♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot easily achieve ‘mail-in’ voting; which they desperately need in key battleground states in order to control the outcome.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot shut down rallies and political campaigning efforts of President Trump; which they desperate need to do in key battleground states.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot block the campaign contrast between an energetic President Trump and a physically tenuous, mentally compromised, challenger.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have an excuse for cancelling the DNC convention in Milwaukee; thereby blocking Team Bernie Sanders from visible opposition while protecting candidate gibberish from himself.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have a mechanism to keep voters isolated from each-other; limiting communication and national debate adverse to their interests. COVID-19 panic pushes the national conversation into the digital space where Big Tech controls every element of the conversation.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot keep their Blue state economies easily shut-down and continue to block U.S. economic growth. All thriving economies are against the political interests of Democrats.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot easily keep club candidate Joe Biden sealed in the basement; where the electorate is not exposed to visible signs of his dementia.

♦Without COVID-19 panic it becomes more difficult for Big Tech to censor voices that would outline the fraud and scheme. With COVID-19 panic they have a better method and an excuse.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot advance, influence, or organize their preferred presidential debate format, a ‘virtual presidential debate’ series.

[Comrade Gretchen Whitmer knows this plan, hence she cancelled the Michigan venue]

All of these, and more, strategic outcomes are based on the manufactured weaponization of the COVID-19 virus to achieve a larger political objective. There is ZERO benefit to anyone other than Democrats for the overwhelming hype surrounding COVID-19.

It is not coincidental that all corporate media are all-in to facilitate the demanded fear that Democrats need in order to achieve their objectives. Thus there is an alignment of all big government institutions and multinationals to support the same.

Nothing is coincidental. Everything is political.
Lunacy
Yes another Maga rally in La county yesterday!,,,,
C0DDF6C4-77C7-44A5-A1B8-2670EDAF17AF.jpeg
C0DDF6C4-77C7-44A5-A1B8-2670EDAF17AF.jpeg (122.08 KiB) Viewed 77 times

KITNooga
Posts: 6626
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am

Post by KITNooga » June 30th, 2020, 6:20 am

purpleprairiecat wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Not funny at all. It is still difficult to sort this out because you are using an older version of the data than I am looking at. Why didn't you cite your source to begin with instead of having me waste 15 minutes trying to figure out where you got your data so that I could evaluate it?
clearly Purple, I have nothing better to do with my time than to waste yours?
:rofl:

and as for 'older' data, really? it's the most up to date that's out there. please link me to where the data is 'MORE' up to date as I'm not sure how I can get most recent any more recent than what's on the Georgia site, same site it appears, that you went to?

I've been linking to that georgia site for some time now. and for the record: I'm not in your class. your desire to dictate my behavior has no leverage. you can't hold me hostage for a grade while ducking for cover over your own shortcomings.

you say a lot of things. you never back it up with third part, indisputable facts. but you're quick to call into question other sources?

why is that?


and yes it is funny. that's why I'm laughing.

:rofl:

spot2180
Posts: 6296
Joined: November 12th, 2017, 10:32 am

Post by spot2180 » June 30th, 2020, 7:40 am

It takes time, KITNooga, to find the right narrative to massage the facts in such a way that sounds convincing. Lord knows that the mantra 'just the facts' has never been kind to any leftist agenda.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." ~ Aldous Huxley
"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it." - Thomas Sowell

xtrawildcat
Posts: 5789
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Post by xtrawildcat » June 30th, 2020, 8:52 am

This web site from the AJC lists newly reported cases when they are found, It also lists cases by onset of symptoms as the Georgia Department of Health does but that does not inform about what is happening today due to the lag time in the data.

Rolling 7 day average of new cases is 2.3 times higher today than it was two weeks ago.
Lets hope their death rate stays low as these higher case counts are resolved. And that hospital rates do not go up significantly.

Two or three weeks from now will be a much better time to judge the impact of these higher case counts.


https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus-ge ... NQDDAuZxH/


From the Atlanta Constitution Journal Covid Tracking Web Site
Georgia Rolling 7 Day Rolling Average of New Cases
on June 15 = 845
on June 29 = 1,927 with over 2,200 cases the last two days.

Georgia Rolling 7 Day Average Hopitilizations
June 15 = 833
June 29 = 1182

Rolling average of Deaths
on June 15 = 41
on June 28 = 19

KITNooga
Posts: 6626
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am

Post by KITNooga » June 30th, 2020, 9:50 am

x: I think, just an opinion mind you, that the georgia department of health is best source of data. direct.

not filtered by the AJC and some beat writer with a journalism degree/english lit major lacking in scientific curriculum vitae.

attitude included without solicitation. you're welcome.

xtrawildcat
Posts: 5789
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Post by xtrawildcat » June 30th, 2020, 3:35 pm

KITNooga wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 9:50 am
x: I think, just an opinion mind you, that the georgia department of health is best source of data. direct.

not filtered by the AJC and some beat writer with a journalism degree/english lit major lacking in scientific curriculum vitae.

attitude included without solicitation. you're welcome.

New confirmed cases of coronavirus are shown by the date of symptom onset* as reported by DPH. But because there is a lag between first symptoms and the date DPH reports a positive test result, more recent data is likely to be adjusted upward in the future.

While DPH may adjust the number of cases from any date, the dashed line and lighter colored bars represent the window when the most adjustments are likely to occur, according to our analysis.

So the 2207 positive test results reported in Georgia yesterday is listed as 42 on Georgia' web site. To my knowledge, Georgia is the only place listing their test results in this manner.

Post Reply