covid: why is the conversation over total case numbers? and not death rates?

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
Zoltar
Posts: 1639
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 5:01 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: covid: why is the conversation over total case numbers? and not death rates?

Post by Zoltar » June 29th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Whatever we do let's make sure that we suppress the vote as much as possible. After that I stopped reading.
Win the dang day!

Ksuminnesotacat
Posts: 3002
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 9:56 am

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » June 29th, 2020, 9:13 pm

No body cares and your lack of pushback only solidifies the facts the only demographic that gains from the covid hysteria is plainly explained.
C631F22F-8FBF-4EF5-AB3A-AB698E3C45F9.jpeg
C631F22F-8FBF-4EF5-AB3A-AB698E3C45F9.jpeg (75.51 KiB) Viewed 44 times

xtrawildcat
Posts: 5789
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Post by xtrawildcat » June 29th, 2020, 9:19 pm

KITNooga wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 8:21 pm
who here thinks that Covid infection is a death sentence? had this as a response in another thread, but feel it deserves it's own space for consideration. behold data. facts. now, blaze away.



I will continue to share this. to state that 'as bad as Covid is' I believe we are being played upon for our fears.

so some numbers. some reality.

here's the story, from Georgia, used as an example.

Note the key moments here:
a. cases are up; way up.
b. deaths, rates of death are...? absolutely NOT tracking to numbers of cases.

Image

meanwhile, heard this today, the expected vaccine that we're all waiting upon? is expected to be as efficacious as the flu vaccine. Meaning: 40% of those who take the vaccine will be expected to have immunity. while for those of us who think about numbers, the other side of that is that 60% of those who get the vaccine will STILL GET the virus.

now, who here really thinks that those numbers 'feel' more better than current?

and finally, death rates (#/100,000)
Image


now, after all the chin-wagging by the amazing governor Cuomo with regard to Florida, let's review STATE death rates:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/




NY = 161
FL = 16

simple math has NY: FL ratio as 10:1.

is that the message you all are getting from the news? your news sources?
I think it is a positive that the death rate from Covid may be going down as doctors learn more effective treatments.
But, a few cautions are in order.
1. You were showing the same chart on May 12th to show how Covid case counts in Georgia were going down. And telling some of us we could not read a chart. (Remember Sparky)
2. Georgia had 2200 new cases today, and 1800 or so over the last 3 or 4 days. (compared to 500 or so when they reopened and up til a week or so ago)
3. Many of those new cases are younger and will recover. But those 2200 today may begin spreading Covid to parents and grandparents. Will take a couple of weeks for those older people to start showing up in Georgia hospitals.
4 Hospitilized covid patients who do recover have permanent lung damage. Even has a name. Post Covid Lung Fibrosis
5. And as explained. Death from Covid is a lagging indicator. So we do not know for sure what we will see in a month.

I am very hopeful the death rate is indeed much lower now than when Covid first appeared. But right now, the US has had 2,681,811 cases and 128,783 deaths, on the site I track. That's 4.8%

So lets all hope the rate goes down as younger people make up a bigger percentage of those infected. And lets hope they don't infect other family members and doctors are much better at treating Covid. And lets hope lung damage is not a big thing.

But imo, it is very premature to stop being worried about being infected with Covid. Maybe that will change in 4 to 6 weeks.

User avatar
WIldWIllieCat
Posts: 19388
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:30 am

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 29th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Nature could be a play here as well, I did read an article earlier today that said a new strain may be as much as 10 times more contagious....but less lethal.
"The peculiar office of a demagogue is to advance his own interests, by affecting a deep devotion to the interests of the people. .”

Zoltar
Posts: 1639
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 5:01 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Post by Zoltar » June 29th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Win the dang day!

User avatar
JazzCatDRP
Administrator
Posts: 7069
Joined: August 25th, 2013, 11:32 pm

Post by JazzCatDRP » June 29th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Zoltar, let’s keep it on track here.

Zoltar
Posts: 1639
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 5:01 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Post by Zoltar » June 29th, 2020, 9:36 pm

JazzCatDRP wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:29 pm
Zoltar, let’s keep it on track here.
So he can post a meme that is off track and you call me out? Seriously?
Win the dang day!

User avatar
purpleprairiecat
Posts: 2119
Joined: May 18th, 2014, 1:16 pm
Location: Manhattan, KS

Post by purpleprairiecat » June 29th, 2020, 9:42 pm

KITNooga wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 8:21 pm
who here thinks that Covid infection is a death sentence? had this as a response in another thread, but feel it deserves it's own space for consideration. behold data. facts. now, blaze away.



I will continue to share this. to state that 'as bad as Covid is' I believe we are being played upon for our fears.

so some numbers. some reality.

here's the story, from Georgia, used as an example.

Note the key moments here:
a. cases are up; way up.
b. deaths, rates of death are...? absolutely NOT tracking to numbers of cases.

Image

meanwhile, heard this today, the expected vaccine that we're all waiting upon? is expected to be as efficacious as the flu vaccine. Meaning: 40% of those who take the vaccine will be expected to have immunity. while for those of us who think about numbers, the other side of that is that 60% of those who get the vaccine will STILL GET the virus.

now, who here really thinks that those numbers 'feel' more better than current?

and finally, death rates (#/100,000)
Image


now, after all the chin-wagging by the amazing governor Cuomo with regard to Florida, let's review STATE death rates:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/




NY = 161
FL = 16

simple math has NY: FL ratio as 10:1.

is that the message you all are getting from the news? your news sources?
You appear to have used three sources for your information. You should list them all so that readers can check this out unless you are trying to hide the sources. The first graph that you used is from a Google search that is impossible for readers to verify. Honestly, I don't trust that graph. For one thing, the data are over a week old. The numbers also are not matching with data that I found from the Georgia Department of Public Health (https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report) and from the CDC COVID Data Tracker website (https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases)

KITNooga
Posts: 6621
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am

Post by KITNooga » June 29th, 2020, 10:15 pm

ChemicalKat wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Death is a lagging variable. Don’t hang your hat here. You will be proven wrong.
CK, you keep going down that weak hole of an excuse. there's enough time, data to see trends and, you know, kinda MODEL what's really going on.

that divergence between cases and deaths? that's real. those are actual data points. you can look at the verified data, with predictions of future state... it's ALL THERE in the graphs.

and those graphs all show a very different story that depends upon whether or not you focus on CASES of Covid, or 'deaths WITH COVID'.

don't they?

Zoltar
Posts: 1639
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 5:01 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Post by Zoltar » June 29th, 2020, 10:18 pm

You might think we have seen enough of the Trump presidency to see the hole we are going down as well.
Win the dang day!

Post Reply