Top ten worst losses

The defending Big XII Champions
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: Top ten worst losses

Post by wild@nite » June 26th, 2020, 10:08 am

NDSU is not Division II. They are, and have been Division I, just FCS. FCS has several good teams. Every year, there are 1 or 2 that would finish mid pack in the Big 12 and 5-6 more that would finish above KU. Having said that. NDSU was a bad loss because we were the better team and I totally lay it on coaching in the 2nd half, but make no mistake, they would beat a Division II team by 60 points plus, and .any FBS teams, especially when a staff goes ultra conservative.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 26th, 2020, 10:34 am

losing to that championship ndsu team was not as bad as losing to wvu here last year. and how about the b12 champion season losing at home to marshall. or prince going 0'for v. ku, nebraska, and mizzou. lots of bad there.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » June 26th, 2020, 11:47 am

wild@nite wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 10:08 am
NDSU is not Division II. They are, and have been Division I, just FCS. FCS has several good teams. Every year, there are 1 or 2 that would finish mid pack in the Big 12 and 5-6 more that would finish above KU. Having said that. NDSU was a bad loss because we were the better team and I totally lay it on coaching in the 2nd half, but make no mistake, they would beat a Division II team by 60 points plus, and .any FBS teams, especially when a staff goes ultra conservative.
True I should have said FCS, but still a lower division and not something to be proud of. Yea, I would guess several FCS teams would beat some of the poorer FBS teams - every year we see something like this. And I agree several would finish above KU if in the same conference. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that they would finish middle of the pack in a power 5 conference. Maybe in one given year when a conference is weak. But hey that's just my opinion. Anyway that game was tough to swallow.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » June 26th, 2020, 12:35 pm

I bet Michigan fans remember App State from 2007. They were FCS at the time. Michigan WAS ranked at the time.

The Missouri Valley Football Conference seems to always have 3 or more good teams. UNI keeps Iowa and ISU on their toes. James Madison seems to be good almost every year in the FCS as well.

That game with NDSU should never have been scheduled. We had nothing to win and everything to lose. The only bright spot is that it may have helped to get Klieman.
Win the dang day!

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » June 27th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Zoltar wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:35 pm
I bet Michigan fans remember App State from 2007. They were FCS at the time. Michigan WAS ranked at the time.

The Missouri Valley Football Conference seems to always have 3 or more good teams. UNI keeps Iowa and ISU on their toes. James Madison seems to be good almost every year in the FCS as well.

That game with NDSU should never have been scheduled. We had nothing to win and everything to lose. The only bright spot is that it may have helped to get Klieman.
Yep and I love that it happened to mighty Michigan. Better if had been The Ohio st though. Agreed on scheduling NDSU no real gain. I felt that way about our bowl game last year. Nothing against Navy at all but didnt see a lot of positives either way. I know Michigan felt the same way when we thumped them in the bowl 4 or 5 years ago.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » June 27th, 2020, 10:25 pm

JazzCatDRP wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 8:41 am
Don't know how I forgot about NDSU -- I was at that game. Everything was so hyped. Unveiling of the new west stadium, furling the Big XII championship banner, and then...
I watched that game on a TV in a restaurant in Lake Placid N.Y. I think it was Jake Waters first game and he threw a bomb to someone, maybe Lockett. Waters was pretty good out of the gate but was the 2nd best QB in that game. I think NDSU converted about 6 third downs in the winning drive. Fatalistically agonizing to watch.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » June 27th, 2020, 11:09 pm

JazzCatDRP wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 8:41 am
Don't know how I forgot about NDSU -- I was at that game. Everything was so hyped. Unveiling of the new west stadium, furling the Big XII championship banner, and then...
I agree on this one because it was the unveiling of the new stadium, and our fans trashed mouthed them so badly before the game only to run into a team that was bigger faster stronger and better than we were. That final drive where NDSU went like 99 yards right up the middle without throwing a pass was the epitome of dominance. However Snyder’s grace in defeat wiped away the embarrassment. Recall the letter he penned their QB.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » June 29th, 2020, 10:13 am

Zoltar wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:26 pm
How can you leave off 2013 North Dakota State?

2015 OU in Manhattan 55-0 loss
2012 at Baylor loss 24-52 we were undefeated and ranked #1 at the time. They were not ranked. (that one is on the list)
2010 Syracuse in Pinstripe bowl. 34-36 loss due to the 15 yard penalty for saluting the crowd.
where the discussion gets interesting, I think, starts with how 'worst' is defined.

Biggest 'gut punch' from a fan's perspective?
Most significance from a program perspective?

figure the games that drove 'another K-State' rule have to be involved somewhere?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » July 1st, 2020, 8:26 pm

Jeez. Thanks for ruining my evening.

I Try to put these games in the rear view mirror. But, now I remember them quite vividly.

All the woulda's and coulda's.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke