and so it starts

The defending Big XII Champions
kswildcat

Re: and so it starts

Post by kswildcat » June 23rd, 2020, 10:02 am

Covid 19 will probably be here in some form from here on out just like the flu and so many other diseases. A vaccine is needed for life to return to normal, whatever form that takes. Until then each person will need to decide what level of risk they choose to bear. Organized sports will happen in some form for the most part. I'll be at K-State football games if they play but no bets that that will happen.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » June 23rd, 2020, 10:52 am

bigpurpleman wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 5:29 pm
wild@nite wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:23 pm
I'm still on the whole play in the spring bandwagon. Why is that so hard? It is the wisest path to take.
It won't be over by Spring. Until we all realize this thing is here to stay, we will continue to see fits and starts to all aspects of American life.
From everything I'm reading it seems fairly likely there will be some for of a vaccine by Spring 2021. So Spring Sports could definitely look different. But even then, a vaccine won't be a cure all, and as you say, it could be here to stay as new variations pop up.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » June 23rd, 2020, 11:53 am

something else to consider...

if a person who has had covid can be re-infected, how could a vaccine be effective?

If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

jeffmax26

Post by jeffmax26 » June 23rd, 2020, 2:11 pm

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... infectious

If you don't want to read the entire thing:

"New research published by the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found that recovered COVID-19 patients who test positive again aren’t infectious.

The study also found that most patients who recover have neutralizing antibodies that protect them from getting sick again.

Though the study is promising, health experts say we need more data to validate the findings and determine whether they apply to all patient populations."

I am sure there are many ongoing studies that will be able to add more to this conversation. However, I am cautiously optimistic that reinfection is unlikely as if Covid-19 plays by the same rules as Sars2 and similar viruses, the infected should develop antibodies to fight against it.

And it sounds like, from what Fausci said, "I think there is a reasonably good chance that by the very beginning of 2021, if we are to have a vaccine, we would have it by then." That is good news for basketball.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » June 25th, 2020, 7:48 am

KITNooga wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 11:53 am
something else to consider...

if a person who has had covid can be re-infected, how could a vaccine be effective?

Well dang, I guess it's the end of the world. Might as well live life to the fullest.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 25th, 2020, 8:41 am

bigpurpleman wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 5:29 pm
wild@nite wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:23 pm
I'm still on the whole play in the spring bandwagon. Why is that so hard? It is the wisest path to take.
It won't be over by Spring. Until we all realize this thing is here to stay, we will continue to see fits and starts to all aspects of American life.
This is probably how the virus that causes the common cold started. We will just have to learn to live with it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln