Sports Cards

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
NealyFan

Sports Cards

Post by NealyFan » June 20th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Anyone collect them? I did when I was a kid and a little in my twenties. The market is glutted with product and it is not as fun as it was when I was young. I spent hours at Dev’s Dugout. I didn’t even know he used to work at KSU until I had been going for over a year.

Favorite KSU cards: Ed Nealy Kansas City Kings rookie card and a Veryl Switzer card that I eventually got autographed.

Non-KSU: Dennis Eckersley rookie and a Bob Uecker card that I traded a Dwight Goodwin rookie card to get - not my best move.
Attachments
9BEC8D7A-A109-4008-B7DE-097E6F02AD4E.jpeg
9BEC8D7A-A109-4008-B7DE-097E6F02AD4E.jpeg (25.47 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » June 21st, 2020, 6:56 pm

I grew up too far out in the hinterlands to even know about baseball cards. I did spend a lot of evenings with my Dad on the front porch listening to the early KC Athletics and later the KC Royals. (Nice memories on Father's Day)

For some strange reason, I can still remember the original 2nd baseman for the KC A's. The name Jim Finnegan just anchored itself in my brain.

bindweed

Post by bindweed » June 22nd, 2020, 7:33 am

I loved baseball cards growing up. Several of my buddies and I would collect them and trade them. My favorite player was Willie Mays and I would always trade a Mickey Mantle card for a Willie card. That proved to be a big mistake in later years as Mantle's card became more valuable. I kept all my cards and a few years back took them to a card show. The dealer appraised them at about 3,000 dollars. I will never sell them because I still enjoy having them especially my Willie cards.

kswrangler52

Post by kswrangler52 » June 22nd, 2020, 6:42 pm

A little bit of the subject but I always wanted find someone that would make me a baseball card. My dad played semi-pro ball and was a pitcher. He pitched against Micky Mantel once and struck him out. He also play with Billie Verden. Always wanted to have 1 made for him,

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » June 22nd, 2020, 6:59 pm

Try this:

https://www.topps.com/cardbuilder

can you get your hands on his career/season stats?????

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » June 24th, 2020, 10:24 am

As a kid we used to flip cards. And, that doesn't mean trading them.

Way #1

Two or three of us would stand about 12 feet from the back of the school wall and send the cards flying
through the air against the wall. We did this until one of the cards landed partially on one of the previously
flipped cards. The one who did that won all the cards thrown.

Way #2

Flipped cards to the ground. If the first card flipped was face up and you did the same thing you won the flip. If there were
two different sides you lost the card.

Didn't do much for keeping the value of the card for sure. But, we did this for hours and hours. Way #1 was the most
exciting as there were times when there might be 50 cards on the ground before someone covered.

I had a stock of baseball cards from the 50's that quarter filled a box that my mother's washing machine came in. Thousands of them.

Unfortunately, I left them in the attic and when my parents moved to Florida upon retirement she tossed them out.

Who knows what gems were in there??
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » June 29th, 2020, 6:00 pm

NealyFan wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 3:07 pm
Anyone collect them? I did when I was a kid and a little in my twenties. The market is glutted with product and it is not as fun as it was when I was young. I spent hours at Dev’s Dugout. I didn’t even know he used to work at KSU until I had been going for over a year.

Favorite KSU cards: Ed Nealy Kansas City Kings rookie card and a Veryl Switzer card that I eventually got autographed.

Non-KSU: Dennis Eckersley rookie and a Bob Uecker card that I traded a Dwight Goodwin rookie card to get - not my best move.
Nah!! Really. Couldn't tell by your forum name you were a Nealy fan :-). If you haven't watched it yet, there is an excellent documentary on baseball cards on Netflix "Jack of All Trades". Nostalgia for sure. And a little bit of anger regarding the outright deception in the industry at the time.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » November 6th, 2020, 1:18 am

I collected baseball cards (and some hockey and football cards) in the 1960s and early 1970s.

It was so much fun opening the bubble gum wrapper and seeing what cards were in the package.

I sold them all last year.

I understand that anything after 1980 is not worth much except maybe a mint rookie card of a player who turned out to be Hall of Fame player.

There is a good market for pre-1980 cards, though.

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » November 7th, 2020, 4:47 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:00 pm
NealyFan wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Nah!! Really. Couldn't tell by your forum name you were a Nealy fan :-). If you haven't watched it yet, there is an excellent documentary on baseball cards on Netflix "Jack of All Trades". Nostalgia for sure. And a little bit of anger regarding the outright deception in the industry at the time.
The industry was ruined after the Eighties by overproduction and limited runs. It was more like buying a lottery ticket than collecting. I don’t buy as much as I used to, but I focus on getting KSU players.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder