COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: The intangibles I like about the incoming team

Post by xtrawildcat » June 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm

tmcats wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 1:36 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 8:53 am

Regarding athleticism on last years team.
We lost some athletic guys and not sure if I see anybody coming in to match Sneed and Diarra:
Losses:
Sneed
Diarra
Shadd
SNW
Even Sloan was pretty athletic although did not have much size. Probably as athletic as Rudi or Pack.
Obviously Love and Levi were not athletic.

I am hoping we have players coming in with better individual basketball skills who can be coached into good team players.
sneed is an incredible athlete.
diarra lost his composure and thus many times the edge he had over opponents.
snw and shadd never played.
sloan was an enigma: really good at times, a no-show at others, but i wouldn't call him anything special athletically
I was only talking about athleticism. SNW and Shadd were athletic and never played. Point is that athleticism last year was not the issue. Playing good solid team basketball, not turning it over and knocking down some shots was the issue.
Regarding Sloan. He was not anything special athletically but probably about the same as Rudi and Pack. But Sloan turned it over too much and didn't make shots until the last couple of games.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 11th, 2020, 2:33 pm

agree, extra, except i don't know what the two incoming point guards will bring having not seen them bounce a single ball yet. i would have liked to have seen last year's team finish the season. i thought they played well in the b12 tournament win and may have pulled some more surprises since that was mawein's house from time2time. but alas, perhaps it was a merciful closer to a disastrous season. i will always feel sorry for sneed during his senior season. he didn't deserve that sort of ending.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » June 13th, 2020, 1:40 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
gdgjr78 wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 3:30 pm
I don't know what to expect 🤷‍♂️ I know we'll have 5 guys on the floor and overall team athleticism should be considerably improved.
We lost some athletic guys and not sure if I see anybody coming in to match Sneed and Diarra:
Losses:
Sneed
Diarra
Shadd
SNW
Even Sloan was pretty athletic although did not have much size. Probably as athletic as Rudi or Pack.

I am hoping we have players coming in with better individual basketball skills who can be coached into good team players.
Sneed and Diarra were both fantastic athletes but our frontcourt was so devoid of athleticism it was hard to believe. From top to bottom I think the roster gets a solid upgrade
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 13th, 2020, 9:23 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 1:40 am
xtrawildcat wrote:

Losses:
Sneed
Diarra
Shadd
SNW

Sneed and Diarra were both fantastic athletes but our frontcourt was so devoid of athleticism it was hard to believe. From top to bottom I think the roster gets a solid upgrade
Maybe you are right.
At the 5 we are trading Mawiens athleticism at center for Ezeagu, Bradford and Linguard. I think Mawien is more athletic than Ezeagu and Bradford. I don't know about Linguard. All of these guys may be more athletic or at least as athletic as Levi. But Shadd was very athletic even if not skilled. I have watched a couple of clips of Ezeagu at Utep and thought he had slow footwork. I don't know about athleticism but the biggest thing we gain at the 5 is size and length.

At the 4 we have added Lewis to Tony and Murph and that is adding what film shows to be a very athletic guy so that should be a nice upgrade. Lewis may be better than expected imo.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » June 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 9:23 am
gdgjr78 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 1:40 am

Maybe you are right.
At the 5 we are trading Mawiens athleticism at center for Ezeagu, Bradford and Linguard. I think Mawien is more athletic than Ezeagu and Bradford. I don't know about Linguard. All of these guys may be more athletic or at least as athletic as Levi. But Shadd was very athletic even if not skilled. I have watched a couple of clips of Ezeagu at Utep and thought he had slow footwork. I don't know about athleticism but the biggest thing we gain at the 5 is size and length.

At the 4 we have added Lewis to Tony and Murph and that is adding what film shows to be a very athletic guy so that should be a nice upgrade. Lewis may be better than expected imo.
Appreciate everything Mawien did in his time at KSU but if you struggle to catch the ball and miss dunks consistently at 6'9 then you arent very athletic. The other big guys last year probably don't see any minutes at any other school in the big 12. If the new big guys aren't an upgrade we are in real trouble.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 14th, 2020, 12:53 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 9:23 am

Maybe you are right.

Appreciate everything Mawien did in his time at KSU but if you struggle to catch the ball and miss dunks consistently at 6'9 then you arent very athletic. The other big guys last year probably don't see any minutes at any other school in the big 12. If the new big guys aren't an upgrade we are in real trouble.
Just my opinion but athleticism is not the same thing as skill. Shooting the ball is a skill. Catching the ball is a skill. A very unathletic player can catch the ball.
Mawien missed a few dunks but most of the perception he missed dunks consistently comes from a few games last year where he struggled to dunk including the one game where he missed three. That was painful to watch as a fan.
I wish he had been aggressive and attempted more dunks but he still made most of them except for a stretch in 2019 conference season.
Here are some highlights from 17/18 where he makes a few dunks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJXR1MaAnA4

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » June 14th, 2020, 3:51 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 12:53 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Just my opinion but athleticism is not the same thing as skill. Shooting the ball is a skill. Catching the ball is a skill. A very unathletic player can catch the ball.
Mawien missed a few dunks but most of the perception he missed dunks consistently comes from a few games last year where he struggled to dunk including the one game where he missed three. That was painful to watch as a fan.
I wish he had been aggressive and attempted more dunks but he still made most of them except for a stretch in 2019 conference season.
We'll just have to agree to disagree i guess except for the part about shooting being more of a skill. I certainly agree with that POV.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 14th, 2020, 4:49 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 3:51 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 12:53 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree i guess except for the part about shooting being more of a skill. I certainly agree with that POV.
Sounds good.