bsfs south side progress ...

The defending Big XII Champions
hilltopwildcat

Re: bsfs south side progress ...

Post by hilltopwildcat » June 6th, 2020, 4:47 pm

With the placement of the scoreboards, it's obvious that there will probably never be a total enclosed 2nd level as some had expected at 1 time. Will really be exciting to see what it looks like after the south end zone addition.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 6th, 2020, 7:13 pm

john currie felt 50,000 was the right size for k-state's fanbase. and i believe that's true. it takes a major effort to fill bsfs. currie did it routinely probably with some gimmicks that gene taylor isn't implementing. but that seems to be the level of support that a good k-state team can expect to see in the stands week after week.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 6th, 2020, 9:46 pm

tmcats wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 7:13 pm
john currie felt 50,000 was the right size for k-state's fanbase. and i believe that's true. it takes a major effort to fill bsfs. currie did it routinely probably with some gimmicks that gene taylor isn't implementing. but that seems to be the level of support that a good k-state team can expect to see in the stands week after week.

I agree. 50-55,000 is about right for our fanbase. Downsizing seems to be the plan for a lot of schools who are renovating or building new facilities, especially since attendance has been dropping in recent years around the country. I appreciate Currie having the foresight to not go crazy with expansion, but to instead focus on the fan experience.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 7th, 2020, 10:46 am

i've held season tickets in both major sports here for decades now and have been in college stadiums across the land from philly for the army/navy game, notre dame, to southern california for k-state. but i never been in a stadium better than bsfs. it's smallish, loud, fan-friendly, wonderful sight-lines, and great tailgating. when it's finished, it will be awesome. both john and gene deserve credit.

i wish i could say the same for characterless bramlage. it was a bad design from the getgo with two or three thousand too many seats. although a great environment for big games and very loud, that's about all it has going for it. dark. dreary. entry, exit, and access to facilities that are horrid for older folks who fund the enterprise. it's unfortunate that designers didn't take their clues from ahearn and build a new but smaller fieldhouse the way baylor (7,000) and texas (10,000) are doing today.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 7th, 2020, 12:42 pm

tmcats wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:46 am
i've held season tickets in both major sports here for decades now and have been in college stadiums across the land from philly for the army/navy game, notre dame, to southern california for k-state. but i never been in a stadium better than bsfs. it's smallish, loud, fan-friendly, wonderful sight-lines, and great tailgating. when it's finished, it will be awesome. both john and gene deserve credit.

i wish i could say the same for characterless bramlage. it was a bad design from the getgo with two or three thousand too many seats. although a great environment for big games and very loud, that's about all it has going for it. dark. dreary. entry, exit, and access to facilities that are horrid for older folks who fund the enterprise. it's unfortunate that designers didn't take their clues from ahearn and build a new but smaller fieldhouse the way baylor (7,000) and texas (10,000) are doing today.

I'm going on memory here, but it seemed like the concern at the time with Ahearn was not only was the aging structure, but that new regulations/fire codes were causing reduced capacity. To justify building a new basketball arena, I believe the original plan was for Bramlage to have a capacity of 16,000, but that was reduced to 13,500 because the original version was too expensive. Now it seems that almost everyone is scaling back on seating capacity, except for some of the blue bloods in football and basketball. Hopefully, the South Endzone project will not only enhance BSFS, but will be the beginning of enhancing Bramlage.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » June 7th, 2020, 7:48 pm

I agree that The Bram is dark and dreary. Which brings to mind, would it be possible to have skylights retrofitted into the ceiling/roof? I think that would help a bit. Also, a few windows to the outside from the corridors would brighten The Bram. Just thinkin' outloud.

Rusty7777

Post by Rusty7777 » June 8th, 2020, 9:27 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:48 pm
I agree that The Bram is dark and dreary. Which brings to mind, would it be possible to have skylights retrofitted into the ceiling/roof? I think that would help a bit. Also, a few windows to the outside from the corridors would brighten The Bram. Just thinkin' outloud.
Wouldn't be very doomish.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 9th, 2020, 2:20 pm

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 9th, 2020, 2:21 pm

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » June 9th, 2020, 3:46 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 12:42 pm
tmcats wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:46 am

I'm going on memory here, but it seemed like the concern at the time with Ahearn was not only was the aging structure, but that new regulations/fire codes were causing reduced capacity. To justify building a new basketball arena, I believe the original plan was for Bramlage to have a capacity of 16,000, but that was reduced to 13,500 because the original version was too expensive. Now it seems that almost everyone is scaling back on seating capacity, except for some of the blue bloods in football and basketball. Hopefully, the South Endzone project will not only enhance BSFS, but will be the beginning of enhancing Bramlage.
I agree. I hope an enhancment of Bramlage is next in line, when discussing new improvements to Athletic facilities.