Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats

Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

Davion Bradford
3%
Luke Kasubke
5%
Seryee Lewis
3%
Carlton Linguard
3%
Kaosi Ezeagu
8%
Nijel Pack
49%
Selton Miguel
8%
Rueadale Williams
22%

Total votes: 37

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Re: Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

Post by gdgjr78 » May 14th, 2020, 3:10 pm

wild@nite wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:13 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:58 am

I'm not near as sold on Williams as some on this board. I mean not all of these guys are going to be good no matter how much we all drink the purple kool-aid.
Ok? Your point? Some of us have the opinion that Rudi is going to be very impactful. Nobody has said every new player is going to be good? Where did that even come from?
Relax, I'm just saying I'm not as sold on Rudi as others. Also this board is hyping these guys up to the point there is no way they can achieve those expectations. This class was very good but it also was ranked in the middle of the Big 12 by almost every recruiting service and everyone in the Big 12 is returning more talent than KSU. We might want to temper our wildly optimistic outlook a little.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

learnin

Post by learnin » May 14th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Piedmontcat wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 9:52 pm
I went with Pack because we badly need a point guard and I think he will play ahead of R Williams. But there will be a lot of minutes available all over the floor. Much like the year Kam, Barry & Dean showed up, there is great opportunity for some young guys to step up and make a name for themselves.
I, too, went with Pack now that Cartier and David have transferred. This is going to present the young man with more opportunity and I think he has the moxie, and desire, to put that opportunity to good use. There will be a learning curve (too bad he doesn't have a summer of practice and the overseas trip), but he, who assumes the point guard duties, generally has the best opportunity to make a difference if he has the skills.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 14th, 2020, 11:41 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 10:14 am
I went with Kaosi Ezeagu. I'm basing it off from when he is available to play, he will make the biggest impact and not necessarily the biggest impact across the whole season as he can't play till 2nd semester. My reasons:

- Only player with DI experience, and starting game experience, even if it was limited and at UTEP
- Will be one of the oldest players on the team, so his body has had more time to develop. He will be 21 when he is ready to play his first game.
- Joined the team last year so has been learning the system, working with strength coaches, etc. JUCOs under Weber haven't really hit the ground running and freshman hit a wall eventually in Big 12 play
- Seems to be unique in his body type/position that there isn't a lot of competition for currently on the team compared to guards
- Was reportedly a very physical player in practices, which makes me think he will be ready for the rigors of college basketball
- Having to sit out another semester can be both good and bad. Bad in that he won't have game experience, but good in that he will be fresh when he is ready to play. In addition, Big 12 teams won't have a lot of tape on him when he first starts playing, so he could be a surprise for a while until they adjust.
- Spent time on a 8-21 UTEP team so losing isn't a shock to him. By that I mean that a lot of freshman come off great HS teams and get hit in the face when they come to a college team that losses games. It's quite an adjustment from being the top dog in HS to being the newcomer and beat up in college.
- Is a high activity/high intensity player so he is going to be going after the ball a lot
- Was the defensive player of the year in the prep ranks before college, and you know Weber loves defense

Now I don't expect him to be a scoring threat at all, so his impact is going to have to be in other areas.
You score some good points, here.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 15th, 2020, 2:43 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:10 pm
wild@nite wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Ok? Your point? Some of us have the opinion that Rudi is going to be very impactful. Nobody has said every new player is going to be good? Where did that even come from?
Relax, I'm just saying I'm not as sold on Rudi as others. Also this board is hyping these guys up to the point there is no way they can achieve those expectations. This class was very good but it also was ranked in the middle of the Big 12 by almost every recruiting service and everyone in the Big 12 is returning more talent than KSU. We might want to temper our wildly optimistic outlook a little.
Which might be why most of us have predicted a 6-8 finish? I'm excited about this class for two reasons. #1 because it's new blood from the suck show we watched last year and #2 because it's a great building block for the future.

I'm not sure I get your "wildly optimistic" comment. What has been said that is so wild? I've not seen anyone predict a top 3 finish or NCAA tourney run. Only optimism that this is a pretty good signing class for the future.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » May 15th, 2020, 12:33 pm

wild@nite wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 2:43 am
gdgjr78 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Which might be why most of us have predicted a 6-8 finish? I'm excited about this class for two reasons. #1 because it's new blood from the suck show we watched last year and #2 because it's a great building block for the future.

I'm not sure I get your "wildly optimistic" comment. What has been said that is so wild? I've not seen anyone predict a top 3 finish or NCAA tourney run. Only optimism that this is a pretty good signing class for the future.
If we finish in 6th or above its been a wildly successful year imo. 8-10 is where I see us unfortunately

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 12:33 pm
wild@nite wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 2:43 am

If we finish in 6th or above its been a wildly successful year imo. 8-10 is where I see us unfortunately
Above 6th, yes. 6th or below no, which is where most on here have us pegges. "Wildly" optimistic? LOL....

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » May 15th, 2020, 7:50 pm

wild@nite wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Above 6th, yes. 6th or below no, which is where most on here have us pegges. "Wildly" optimistic? LOL....
We finished dead last in the conference and return the least amount of talent in the conference combined with a class generally considered in the middle of the conference. Predicting KSU finishes higher than 8th in conf is being very optimistic. The Big 12 is going to be really tough next year.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 15th, 2020, 10:50 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 7:50 pm
wild@nite wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm

We finished dead last in the conference and return the least amount of talent in the conference combined with a class generally considered in the middle of the conference. Predicting KSU finishes higher than 8th in conf is being very optimistic. The Big 12 is going to be really tough next year.
Play the games. I believe we will be improved at PG, athletically, and bball IQ wise. Having said that, I think 7th place is about right. Not returning players from a miserable team is a good thing, imo, but you are more than entitled to think as you wish. I still don't see where anyone is being "wildly" optimistic. What I see is fans who are glad for the turnover and what we believe will be a young, energetic, and smarter team.

Guess we shall see, but I'm going to remain "cautiously" optimistic since we've never seen this group on the floor together.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 15th, 2020, 11:53 pm

Give me four or five double digit scorers and I see a certain amount of success. I don't believe that's an unreasonable expectation when you don't have two guys taking most of the shots. It seems as if Pack, Kasubke, Miguel, McGuirl all can shoot well. There's no reason why D. Gordon can't put 4 more points up on the board. The key, in my book, is always: Defend well. Shoot 40% plus from the field and 75% from the free throw line. Do this and they can surprise.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 16th, 2020, 9:48 am

yeah, this is all conjecture, obviously. we won't know a thing until we see these youngsters on the court and if d'gordon improves as much as some of us believe he will. the best thing about freshmen, said al acquire, is that they become sophomores. that cuts both ways for this squad.
Why is there something rather than nothing?