Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats

Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

Davion Bradford
3%
Luke Kasubke
5%
Seryee Lewis
3%
Carlton Linguard
3%
Kaosi Ezeagu
8%
Nijel Pack
49%
Selton Miguel
8%
Rueadale Williams
22%

Total votes: 37

katlander

Pick 'Em

Re: Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

Post by katlander » May 13th, 2020, 8:59 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 3:40 pm
If its not Pack then I'm afraid next year will be a big big struggle.
Not necessarily. Hopefully Pack is fantastic and Rudy is amazing.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 13th, 2020, 9:04 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Rudy
I'm surprised. That's high praise for Rudy knowing how high You are on Selton Miguel. I sure hope we're right about these guys.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » May 14th, 2020, 4:58 am

katlander wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 8:59 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 3:40 pm
If its not Pack then I'm afraid next year will be a big big struggle.
I'm not near as sold on Williams as some on this board. I mean not all of these guys are going to be good no matter how much we all drink the purple kool-aid.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 14th, 2020, 9:49 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:58 am
katlander wrote:

I'm not near as sold on Williams as some on this board. I mean not all of these guys are going to be good no matter how much we all drink the purple kool-aid
You're likely correct. I'm looking for next year to be pretty rough but am hopeful that we get lucky and many do not play like first year D1 players and true freshmen. Hopefully a couple, or even a few, are really good right out of the gate. Many of us are hopeful that by season end we are coming together and 21/22 looks promising. However I will be a little disappointed if Rudy and Nigel are not good right away. I.m worried about both ends of the floor but especially team defense. It could take a little time to get to the level Weber demands.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 14th, 2020, 10:14 am

I went with Kaosi Ezeagu. I'm basing it off from when he is available to play, he will make the biggest impact and not necessarily the biggest impact across the whole season as he can't play till 2nd semester. My reasons:

- Only player with DI experience, and starting game experience, even if it was limited and at UTEP
- Will be one of the oldest players on the team, so his body has had more time to develop. He will be 21 when he is ready to play his first game.
- Joined the team last year so has been learning the system, working with strength coaches, etc. JUCOs under Weber haven't really hit the ground running and freshman hit a wall eventually in Big 12 play
- Seems to be unique in his body type/position that there isn't a lot of competition for currently on the team compared to guards
- Was reportedly a very physical player in practices, which makes me think he will be ready for the rigors of college basketball
- Having to sit out another semester can be both good and bad. Bad in that he won't have game experience, but good in that he will be fresh when he is ready to play. In addition, Big 12 teams won't have a lot of tape on him when he first starts playing, so he could be a surprise for a while until they adjust.
- Spent time on a 8-21 UTEP team so losing isn't a shock to him. By that I mean that a lot of freshman come off great HS teams and get hit in the face when they come to a college team that losses games. It's quite an adjustment from being the top dog in HS to being the newcomer and beat up in college.
- Is a high activity/high intensity player so he is going to be going after the ball a lot
- Was the defensive player of the year in the prep ranks before college, and you know Weber loves defense

Now I don't expect him to be a scoring threat at all, so his impact is going to have to be in other areas.

PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleWildcat » May 14th, 2020, 10:34 am

I'll go with Kaosi Ezeagu also. I belive that is why Levi Stockard III probably left. I think he saw and felt that Kaosi was better than him and that he was going to be back to not playing very many minutes. In order for this to happen though, they still have to have a couple others to hit a little more consistent from the out side.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 14th, 2020, 11:13 am

Good post. I like Ezeagu as well. Great to hear he is a good defender. My biggest concern is his staying out of foul trouble. Its going to be a lot of fun seeing all of these new players next year, probably also frustrating at times.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » May 14th, 2020, 11:50 am

katlander wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 9:04 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Rudy
I'm surprised. That's high praise for Rudy knowing how high You are on Selton Miguel. I sure hope we're right about these guys.
Miguel would be my second choice. Rudy will have the ball in his hands more and will directly impact more players. The question was about impact, not ability. We desperately need a pass-first point guard to set up the other talent that we have. The volume of Rudy's JC assist numbers leads me to believe that he's that guy, and most new players are anxious to fit in - which necessitates that they be unselfish. Although he can also score, I expect with this team, he will be asked to first be the facilitator.

Pack would be my third choice as an impactful player. My only concern for him is the same I had, and still have for D.Gordon. He has to grow out of his high school body. Both Rudy and Selton are college-ready in terms of their physical maturity. That's why, along with their ability, I have slightly higher hopes for them in this first, new season.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » May 14th, 2020, 11:56 am

AJcat7755 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 10:14 am
I went with Kaosi Ezeagu. I'm basing it off from when he is available to play, he will make the biggest impact and not necessarily the biggest impact across the whole season as he can't play till 2nd semester. My reasons:

- Only player with DI experience, and starting game experience, even if it was limited and at UTEP
- Will be one of the oldest players on the team, so his body has had more time to develop. He will be 21 when he is ready to play his first game.
- Joined the team last year so has been learning the system, working with strength coaches, etc. JUCOs under Weber haven't really hit the ground running and freshman hit a wall eventually in Big 12 play
- Seems to be unique in his body type/position that there isn't a lot of competition for currently on the team compared to guards
- Was reportedly a very physical player in practices, which makes me think he will be ready for the rigors of college basketball
- Having to sit out another semester can be both good and bad. Bad in that he won't have game experience, but good in that he will be fresh when he is ready to play. In addition, Big 12 teams won't have a lot of tape on him when he first starts playing, so he could be a surprise for a while until they adjust.
- Spent time on a 8-21 UTEP team so losing isn't a shock to him. By that I mean that a lot of freshman come off great HS teams and get hit in the face when they come to a college team that losses games. It's quite an adjustment from being the top dog in HS to being the newcomer and beat up in college.
- Is a high activity/high intensity player so he is going to be going after the ball a lot
- Was the defensive player of the year in the prep ranks before college, and you know Weber loves defense

Now I don't expect him to be a scoring threat at all, so his impact is going to have to be in other areas.
Good post. You have solid, well thought out reasons. My take is different, choosing perimeter players, but if what you wrote comes to pass, then we will be a much better team. I appreciate all opinions if they are backed up with measured and logical thinking.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 14th, 2020, 12:13 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:58 am
katlander wrote:

I'm not near as sold on Williams as some on this board. I mean not all of these guys are going to be good no matter how much we all drink the purple kool-aid.
Ok? Your point? Some of us have the opinion that Rudi is going to be very impactful. Nobody has said every new player is going to be good? Where did that even come from?