New one time transfer waiver

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

New one time transfer waiver

Post by bhoovy » April 30th, 2020, 10:57 pm

Horses_n_Hoops

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » May 1st, 2020, 1:10 am

Not sure how the board feels about this, but I’m disappointed. Let the kids transfer.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 1st, 2020, 10:10 am

I prefer it as it is. Once you commit and sign an LOI, if you want to transfer you have to sit a year unless you’ve graduated and then you’re free to transfer without sitting.

The transfer situation is already out of control IMO. Allowing players one time to transfer at will without having to sit I think will take an already very heavy transfer rate and just blow it out of the water.

But I would also like college basketball adopt the same rules and guidelines baseball does with allowing players to sign right out of HS if they believe they have the ability, but are committed for 3 years once they walk on campus and begin a college career. Which doesn’t change anything in regards to transferring. They still have to sit a year unless they have graduated.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 1st, 2020, 10:33 am

here, here. this transfer rule is just one more step toward the individual being greater than the team. it today's message. and it's nonsense. but oh so politically correct. can you imagine the bagmen running around getting in athlete's ears? geezzz.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » May 1st, 2020, 11:46 am

The problem is that it was widely reported that it would pass, so players and teams made transfer decisions that they might not have made otherwise. FWIW, there was also some discussion about exceptions due to Covid-19 as well when this reversal was reported. As usual, it is an NCAA mess.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » May 1st, 2020, 12:34 pm

Good. It seems to be the only thing right now that stops the "portal" ( I think I throw up in my mouth now every time I say that word) from going from a thousand kids, to three thousand kids, ......... These guys are supposed be in college to get a degree. That is the mission of a university. Right? To EDUCATE it's students. It's not like they are not letting them continue to GET PAID GOING TO CLASS and enjoy every other privilege that comes with being on campus.
Sometimes the discussion of transfers makes it sound like they aren't able to do anything at all. Their FREE life continues. If they have to sit a year (and they don't really sit, they just don't play for a short period of time) then so be it.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » May 1st, 2020, 2:03 pm

bhoovy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:10 am
But I would also like college basketball adopt the same rules and guidelines baseball does with allowing players to sign right out of HS if they believe they have the ability, but are committed for 3 years once they walk on campus and begin a college career. Which doesn’t change anything in regards to transferring. They still have to sit a year unless they have graduated.
That's not a college rule. It is what is decided by the NBA & MLB. The NBA is likely going to change it back to allowing the kids to go straight to the league in a couple years (mistake imo & I know I'm in the minority on this board). The MLB rule would be great, but I am not sure it would work for the NBA. HS kids that skip college for MLB usually toll for 3+ years in the minors. The NBA kids are thrown to the wolves immediately.

What I do wonder about when the NBA starts allowing HS kids again, what happens to the kids that go to college??? Are they still drafting kids to the NBA after 1 year, or are they making them go a couple years???

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » May 1st, 2020, 2:10 pm

Leaving a school you committed to should hold a penalty. Otherwise, college basketball is going to turn into a calamity. There has to be some sort of safeguard in place, and what we have now should remain that safeguard. If you think college basketball is corrupt now, just wait until players start hopping like frogs from one patch of green grass to the other.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » May 1st, 2020, 4:59 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 2:10 pm
Leaving a school you committed to should hold a penalty. Otherwise, college basketball is going to turn into a calamity. There has to be some sort of safeguard in place, and what we have now should remain that safeguard. If you think college basketball is corrupt now, just wait until players start hopping like frogs from one patch of green grass to the other.
Yep...the portal is already obscenely over-crowded. Just wait til free agency! It's already tough enough for the Maine Black Bears to build anything. Wait till they have a freshman average 20 shooting 40% from 3 that can leave & be immediately eligible at Syracuse.

Would there have been any chance Steph Curry stayed at Davidson???

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » May 2nd, 2020, 8:03 pm

There needed to be some changes made to the whole process, but man, the process just opened to pipes to pretty close to anything. If star player can get 10x the endorsments playing at Kentucky or KU vs the smaller school he is currently at, it's going to be a no brainer for a lot of these players to transfer, especially considering they can do it without sitting out.

I feel like the playing field just got more lopsided... rich get richer, poor get poorer. Especially in Basketball. Football, that could be different.