Way too early Big 12 power rankings

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: Way too early Big 12 power rankings

Post by tmcats » May 1st, 2020, 5:35 pm

you make my point, quietstorm. it's pervasive in american culture today. do not rock the boat or you'll pay the price because the privileged have firewalls in place.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 1st, 2020, 6:02 pm

Quietstorm5 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm
wild@nite wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 3:59 pm
Nobody said it would be easy. Rarely is anything worthwhile, easy.

I don't think anyone is suggesting naming recruits, but be outspoken about the rampid cheating amongst certain schools. The A.D's and presidents too. Bruce has been around long enough that recruits and parents know he's not on the take, so negative recruiting? Big deal. Bruce woukd also get some kids if he took a stance. I know one thing, if my job performance was being effected by dishonest people around me, I'd take offense to it. I guess the ludicrous paycheck speaks volumes and why nobody is willing to fight it. Sad.
There is more to negative recruiting than being called dirty. There have been a couple of very horrible things implied about him for just being assumed to be a coach that was the source for pointing out the dirtiness of one recruits family and the school he went to. Nothing good or useful came from it. So why would anyone risk it? As you stated people all know his is clean and he has been voted one of the 10 cleanest coaches by other coaches in a couple of anonymous polls. He has that reputation while also essentially averaging a conference championship every 4 years over the course of a 20 year career. There just isn't any upside to being the "loser coach just complaining because he can't recruit well". It would be great if there was and if the NCAA would put more effort into cleaning it up but history has shown the risk/reward isn't there especially if you are doing pretty decent anyway.
Why would anyone risk it? Because it's ruining college basketball. Pretty simple. I'm not saying go alone, but form a committee and start the ball rolling. I'd rather be the "loser" coach complaining to try and regain the integrity of the game then coaching with no real shot, but I'm not making 3 million either.

I think many, many people would respect him for it. Who cares what people would say. Do what's right. I'm not saying this is Bruce's responsibility, but I do think he owns a share of it.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 1st, 2020, 6:06 pm

tmcats wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 5:35 pm
you make my point, quietstorm. it's pervasive in american culture today. do not rock the boat or you'll pay the price because the privileged have firewalls in place.
Indeed, which is why you don't go alone. American culture takes advantage of those who won't stand up for themselves but gives plenty of attention to groups who speak the truth.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » May 2nd, 2020, 2:15 am

This is a very good discussion. There's a "don't kill the Golden Goose" aspect to this. The people who would have tremendous influence to fix it are the charter members of the ESPN hype machine-Bilas, Dickie V. Those two are such whores you can't really expect better of them. But there are a couple of renegades who are smart and might plausibly have the guts to call it out: Dakich, Bardo. But they are small potatoes and they're making a good living not rocking the boat. Barkley could certainly do it and he'd be a good candidate. He'd have to wait until Pearl leaves Auburn.

A major problem is that a huge beneficiary of the system is the African American community and you're not going to make much of a living as a winning NCAA coach if you piss off the African American community. It's not realistic to expect someone with Weber's stature to take it on alone. You'd need a "coalition of the honest." I know nothing but I'd think the roster could include, say, Bennett, Belein, Beard, Painter...But none of them has anything like the stature of a Bobby Knight. And the hype machine would call it sour grapes. They stay silent and get pats on the head for being "great coaches" but not for being "honest great coaches."

I infer that the new rule allowing player endorsements is designed to be a reform but I think it's far more likely to make things worse. That will become an adjunct of the ESPN hype machine and it will only enhance the stature of the cheating coaches. Their players will draw the biggest endorsement checks because they are "Coach K's boys" and come with the ESPN seal of approval. Imagine Zion doing ads for Nike. Wow.

Only the best 1% of fans even give a damn about who's a successful honest coach. That will never change as long as the marketing department considers it taboo even to mention honesty. And if you mention it pretty soon you're talking about icons like Wooden and Coach K and everybody wants to change the subject. I think Self and Cal are the two that are SO notoriously dirty that even casual fans understand they are crooks. Pearl is one rung lower on the ladder only because he's not as well-known. So subtle shots occasionally get taken at Pearl, but never at Self or K. The NCAA championship game when those two matched up was the perfect storm, but I bet if you go back and listen to the broadcast you won't find a mention of the scumbag coaches on both benches. You can't reward honesty and integrity if nobody marketing the game is willing to talk about it. Do I wish Bruce would speak out a little about it from time to time for publication? Yes. But I understand why he doesn't.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 2nd, 2020, 7:58 am

5th place in league due to team depth. We will be better at shooting and free throws. We lost close games at the line.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 2nd, 2020, 9:43 am

SCKSCat wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 7:58 am
5th place in league due to team depth. We will be better at shooting and free throws. We lost close games at the line.
If you are right we are in for a nice ride the next 2 or 3 years.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 2nd, 2020, 9:45 am

Its not Weber's job to clean up this mess. Its the NCAA. Until they do their job nothing will change. They are the worst, IMO. They alllll need to be fired and bring in honest folk. Unwillingness to do this speaks volumes. If the NCAA has their back I suspect some honest coaches will speak up.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 2nd, 2020, 10:29 am

remember, the ncaa is a euphemism for college presidents, who are amongst the most focused and skilled looters of american wealth. we talk about the ncaa as some remote institution led by corrupt officials administering from grand offices in naptown. when it fact, the ncaa is the presidents' cabal for sports administration, finance, and regulation. their primary role is to generate money.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 2nd, 2020, 11:15 am

You want clean programs, then make each league commissioner responsible for doing so. Require the commissioner must certify prior to end of the year and prior to tournaments all programs in the league are clean. If ANY team is found not to be, none of teams get any tv revenue. Independents have to affiliate with a league for certification and right to participate in the tournaments

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » May 2nd, 2020, 5:20 pm

O-o-o Cat, I like the sound of that! Never happen, but it's a great idea. C'mish job would come with a bodyguard or two.