David Sloan in transfer portal

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Re: David Sloan in transfer portal

Post by gdgjr78 » April 20th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Horses_n_Hoops wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 9:02 pm
David Sloan just committed to ETSU. That’s a great choice.

They had a phenomenal season for 19-20. For reference for most of the season they were probably better than Kansas State. They’re losing a few seniors but I think they’re reloading pretty well with transfers and guys who redshirted. I don’t think they’ll be quite as good next year, but still one of the best in the SoCon. They’re right up there with UNCG and Furman. Steve Forbes has been a great coach for ETSU, and he’s gotten himself a solid player in Sloan.

Sloan landed the best of the 4 guys who transferred out, and rightfully so because he’s the best of the 4 IMO. I really hope he does well here.
In my mind Sloan was 100% pushed out, he had a great shot to be the starting PG at least at the beginning of the year and now he's playing at ETSU? That just makes zero sense unless he fully hated the coaching staff and if that was the case why wait so long to declare your intention to transfer? Nothing makes sense except he was told he needed to find another place to play.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Horses_n_Hoops

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » April 21st, 2020, 1:23 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 11:47 pm
Horses_n_Hoops wrote:

They had a phenomenal season for 19-20. For reference for most of the season they were probably better than Kansas State. They’re losing a few seniors but I think they’re reloading pretty well with transfers and guys who redshirted. I don’t think they’ll be quite as good next year, but still one of the best in the SoCon. They’re right up there with UNCG and Furman. Steve Forbes has been a great coach for ETSU, and he’s gotten himself a solid player in Sloan.

Sloan landed the best of the 4 guys who transferred out, and rightfully so because he’s the best of the 4 IMO. I really hope he does well here.
In my mind Sloan was 100% pushed out, he had a great shot to be the starting PG at least at the beginning of the year and now he's playing at ETSU? That just makes zero sense unless he fully hated the coaching staff and if that was the case why wait so long to declare your intention to transfer? Nothing makes sense except he was told he needed to find another place to play.
I honestly have no idea what happened. But I enjoyed watching him play, and ETSU, for mid major standards is very good. They have a great coach, and they play in a very solid league that is developing at large teams. Plus they have a nice arena and they’ve enjoyed a lot of recent success.

Quietstorm5

Post by Quietstorm5 » April 21st, 2020, 7:15 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 11:47 pm
Horses_n_Hoops wrote:

From comments that have been made publicly that doesn't seem to be the case. In one article they indicated that they asked him to hold off on entering the portal. Essentially wanting to see if he would change his mind on transferring. Then there was this one below alluding to them wanting him to stay but maybe had people back home in his ear. So they went and got a replacement who they thought would be as good or better because of his size.
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2020/ ... art-2.aspx

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 21st, 2020, 9:24 am

Yeah doesn’t sound like Sloan was pushed but just decided to go play elsewhere, whether totally his own decision or was swayed by others who knows. But sounds like Weber and staff wanted him to return.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 21st, 2020, 9:53 am

ETSU is an great landing spot for Sloan.

Forbes is an excellent coach and definitely needs to be on the short list when Weber decides to hang it up.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 21st, 2020, 10:24 am

Why is there something rather than nothing?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 21st, 2020, 12:02 pm

Just maybe Sloan was told this - we're shoring up the point guard position and the competition will be fierce for playing time. Is that something you want to do?

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 12:02 pm
Just maybe Sloan was told this - we're shoring up the point guard position and the competition will be fierce for playing time. Is that something you want to do?
I would certainly buy this and it would make sense since he declared his intention to transfer right after Williams committed.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Coach314

Post by Coach314 » April 21st, 2020, 3:19 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 12:02 pm
I would certainly buy this and it would make sense since he declared his intention to transfer right after Williams committed.
Lol no. Sloan declared his intention to transfer to Weber well before Williams committed. Just like Weber knew Stockard was planning on leaving over a week ago. Weber went out and found replacements after they made their intentions known.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm

Coach314 wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 3:19 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm

Lol no. Sloan declared his intention to transfer to Weber well before Williams committed. Just like Weber knew Stockard was planning on leaving over a week ago. Weber went out and found replacements after they made their intentions known.
You seem to have some "inside" knowledge about the program. I appreciate you sharing that with us.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln