Donavan Williams - Do these guys know something?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Highway26north

Re: Donavan Williams - Do these guys know something?

Post by Highway26north » April 19th, 2020, 10:09 pm

I was OK with him as a recruit.

I was even OK with him when he reneged. I did that once or twice in my youth and looking for the right job. Wasn't proud of it but I did it and I recognized I was leaving people hanging.

When I became NOT OK was when I read his interview with Kellis. NOT OK, ok?
I'm looking forward to seeing him in Bramlage. Maybe I'll even have to drive out to see that if some of you can get me a decent seat!

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 20th, 2020, 9:17 am

I'm sure we can get you a good seat. You're right, it could just be youthful impulse and indecision. But his statements indicate otherwise. I think he has a lot of growing up to do to be a positive force. We have a great class we don't need to bring in a potential bad apple. Instead we should be after players to compliment and fill out the class. A really good inside player or a versatile 3/4 player would make sense. We can afford to be patient right now. If a good prospect can be uncovered then great. Otherwise we can just get to work for next year.

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 20th, 2020, 2:29 pm

So PDave, what you are saying is that the coaches didn't recognize the potential problems and failed to move on from a kid they shouldn't have been recruiting whereas I was saying they failed to close on the kid. A miss defined two different ways, but a miss nonetheless. Either way, we can agree we are both excited about the guys they did get, and just saddened they didn't land that cherry on top kid.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 20th, 2020, 4:00 pm

bigdeal wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 2:29 pm
So PDave, what you are saying is that the coaches didn't recognize the potential problems and failed to move on from a kid they shouldn't have been recruiting whereas I was saying they failed to close on the kid. A miss defined two different ways, but a miss nonetheless. Either way, we can agree we are both excited about the guys they did get, and just saddened they didn't land that cherry on top kid.
Cherries have pits known to contain cyanide. Not enough to make you sick if consumed, but nasty none the less.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 20th, 2020, 4:52 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 4:00 pm
bigdeal wrote:
Cherries have pits known to contain cyanide. Not enough to make you sick if consumed, but nasty none the less.
Sticking with the fruit analogy, "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch."
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 20th, 2020, 5:33 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 4:52 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Sticking with the fruit analogy, "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch."
Why not.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 20th, 2020, 6:15 pm

bigdeal wrote:
I think what may have happened to some extent is that our coaches could see he was talented and pursued him. With a very good class already signed they were about adding depth and value. When guys decided to transfer there were more spots to fill and they were going after talented kids. Then I think they got caught up in the recruiting battle and were just trying to close the deal. The corona virus screwed up the visits and the decision was delayed. As time went by it began to seem that there was reason for concern but nothing glaring, no major red flags. The kid just didn't seem like he really wanted to be here. That's when I really began to feel we'd be better off w/o him. I don't blame Coach Weber and the other recruiters. to the contrary I thank them and congratulate them for there amazing efforts and accomplishments on the recruiting trail.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 24th, 2020, 2:44 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Texas only has 1 spot open I believe, and they think they are getting the 9th player in the nation in Greg Brown. So he couldn't choose UT until that was decided. He was their backup plan.
And Greg Brown picked Texas.