Donavan Williams - Do these guys know something?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pulitzerdave

Re: Donavan Williams - Do these guys know something?

Post by pulitzerdave » April 18th, 2020, 10:55 am

katlander wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 9:36 am
I think a lot of high school kids in sports, academics, and other areas often have themselves or their abilities over rated. He seems to think he is a finished product when in reality he is a work in progress. DW likely has a lot to learn. The question is how and if he will learn it, or will he continue to rank himself higher than his pay grade? It likely it comes down to one thing, immaturity. How quickly will he grow up? Will he continue to be a bad actor? Only time will tell. This is pretty common among high school heroes. As the old saying goes "Welcome to the Big 8"
He was hot stuff in Nebraska ... not exactly a basketball Mecca. But probably a pretty good place to stroke your ego while scoring 30 points a game.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Below are the top 20 rated athletes from Nebraska as per The Omaha World-Herald. Surprising how many are not from the gridiron. We got their best round baller in #4 Bob Boozer. Their top rated football player #2 Gayle Sayers went to KU, of all places. :shock:

20 Gilbert Dodds Gilbert Dodds Track & Field Falls City
19 Lloyd Cardwell Lloyd Cardwell Football Seward
18 Erick Strickland Erick Strickland Multi-sport Bellevue
17 Marlin Briscoe Marlin Briscoe Football Omaha
16 Allison Weston Allison Weston Volleyball Papillion
15 Mike McGee Mike McGee Basketball Omaha
14 Sam Crawford Sam Crawford Baseball Wahoo
13 Ike Mahoney Ike Mahoney Multi-sport Omaha
12 Dazzy Vance Dazzy Vance Baseball Cowles
11 Jim Hartung Jim Hartung Gymnastics Omaha
10 Jordan Larson Jordan Larson Volleyball Hooper
9 Tom Kropp Tom Kropp Multi-sport Aurora
8 Ahman Green Ahman Green Football Omaha
7 Richie Ashburn Richie Ashburn Baseball Tilden
6 Lloyd Hahn Lloyd Hahn Track & Field Falls City
5 Johnny Rodgers Johnny Rodgers Football Omaha
4 Bob Boozer Bob Boozer Basketball Omaha
3 Grover Cleveland Alexander Grover Cleveland Alexander Baseball Elba
2 Gale Sayers Gale Sayers Football Omaha
1 Bob Gibson Bob Gibson Baseball Omaha
You can still access the complete 2005 rankings, but The World-Herald’s updated Nebraska 100 was released

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 18th, 2020, 5:22 pm

katlander wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm
Below are the top 20 rated athletes from Nebraska as per The Omaha World-Herald. Surprising how many are not from the gridiron. We got their best round baller in #4 Bob Boozer. Their top rated football player #2 Gayle Sayers went to KU, of all places. :shock:

20 Gilbert Dodds Gilbert Dodds Track & Field Falls City
19 Lloyd Cardwell Lloyd Cardwell Football Seward
18 Erick Strickland Erick Strickland Multi-sport Bellevue
17 Marlin Briscoe Marlin Briscoe Football Omaha
16 Allison Weston Allison Weston Volleyball Papillion
15 Mike McGee Mike McGee Basketball Omaha
14 Sam Crawford Sam Crawford Baseball Wahoo
13 Ike Mahoney Ike Mahoney Multi-sport Omaha
12 Dazzy Vance Dazzy Vance Baseball Cowles
11 Jim Hartung Jim Hartung Gymnastics Omaha
10 Jordan Larson Jordan Larson Volleyball Hooper
9 Tom Kropp Tom Kropp Multi-sport Aurora
8 Ahman Green Ahman Green Football Omaha
7 Richie Ashburn Richie Ashburn Baseball Tilden
6 Lloyd Hahn Lloyd Hahn Track & Field Falls City
5 Johnny Rodgers Johnny Rodgers Football Omaha
4 Bob Boozer Bob Boozer Basketball Omaha
3 Grover Cleveland Alexander Grover Cleveland Alexander Baseball Elba
2 Gale Sayers Gale Sayers Football Omaha
1 Bob Gibson Bob Gibson Baseball Omaha
You can still access the complete 2005 rankings, but The World-Herald’s updated Nebraska 100 was released
Only two basketball players. And who is Mike McGee (15). Makes my point about Nebraska not being a basketball Mecca. I suppose we'll see the great Donavan Williams on the list someday.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 18th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Surprising to me that Scott Frost isn't on there. Football stud but also shot put champion and held the state record for awhile at 61' 6".

That isn't enough to unseat Bob Gibson, Boozer, Green, or Rodgers, but Ive never even heard of several on that list.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 19th, 2020, 12:03 am

Here's the whole list of top 100 Nebraska athletes. Frost is #48.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrC3O_ ... Zl2UHgqj0-

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 19th, 2020, 8:49 am

A lot of mess and problems can come with a cute new puppy. Evidently Weber thought he was trainable. The group coming is about the we and not the Me. Hope Boyton gets good value from his lease because if transfer with no wait goes through, he is gone if he has a good year. Loyalty to self is his mantra

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » April 19th, 2020, 9:23 am

SCKSCat wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 8:49 am
A lot of mess and problems can come with a cute new puppy. Evidently Weber thought he was trainable. The group coming is about the we and not the Me. Hope Boyton gets good value from his lease because if transfer with no wait goes through, he is gone if he has a good year. Loyalty to self is his mantra
“Evidently Weber thought he was trainable.” I would have taken the under on that one.

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 19th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Clearly it is a recruiting miss, no matter what you think. Coach Weber and the staff put a lot work into getting this kid so they clearly wanted him. If you really want a kid and you don't get him, it is a miss. If you put a lot of time and effort into chasing him and he spurns you at the last minute and may have cost you other recruits while you chase him, it is clearly a recruiting miss. Now, does he turn out to be an attitude problem or not fulfill potential then we dodged a bullet, but it is a miss, even though it could turn out for the best. That bring said,I do like the kids we got in this class.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 19th, 2020, 9:06 pm

I know what you mean but sometimes it turns out great to miss. We’ll see. Hopefully.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 19th, 2020, 9:36 pm

I think it all depends on how you look at what transpired. We were all excited about getting him before all the facts were in. Yes, the staff worked hard for him, but what does it say about him that he pledged then reneged? What does it say about him that he described his recruiting experience as a "business". Things about the kid's character were revealed BECAUSE he changed his mind with one day to go before his announcement date. It's OK that he changed his mind. He has a right to do that. But why should we feel we missed out on something that had the potential to go so wrong. I don't see that as a recruiting miss. I see that as a harbinger. Maybe after that story in the KC Star, the coaching staff feels the same way.