David Sloan in transfer portal

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Re: David Sloan in transfer portal

Post by gdgjr78 » April 10th, 2020, 7:38 pm

It's odd to see posters bash on clearly the 2 best players (basketball ability) on a last place team. If those two guys hadn't been playing we would have been a national embarrassment.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 10th, 2020, 8:27 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 7:38 pm
It's odd to see posters bash on clearly the 2 best players (basketball ability) on a last place team. If those two guys hadn't been playing we would have been a national embarrassment.
We were already a national embarrassment.

Bashing? How about telling the truth about their play. Apparently one of the "2 best players" was a horrible example for the other, younger players. What upperclassman barks at his head coach in front of the team. What upperclassman sits at the end of the bench during a huddled timeout. Talk about an embarrassment!

And as far as Sneed is concerned, he turned into a volume shooting, reckless gunner ... I guess because he thought he had to. I can't wait to see the new blood. Maybe we'll see some team work and good shot selection again. The thing that won us a Big 12 championship just a year ago.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 11th, 2020, 1:12 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 8:27 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:

Bashing? How about telling the truth about their play. Apparently one of the "2 best players" was a horrible example for the other, younger players. What upperclassman barks at his head coach in front of the team. What upperclassman sits at the end of the bench during a huddled timeout. Talk about an embarrassment!

And as far as Sneed is concerned, he turned into a volume shooting, reckless gunner ... I guess because he thought he had to. I can't wait to see the new blood. Maybe we'll see some team work and good shot selection again. The thing that won us a Big 12 championship just a year ago.
I called out the players total disrespect for their head coach and I'm fairly certain I was told by you and other posters that I overreacted. Sneed turned into a volume shooter because there were literally zero other options. Don't blame the players for a literal face plant on the recruiting trail by the staff. BTW how many games would KSU have won without those 2 guys? It would have been single digits.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 11th, 2020, 9:17 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 1:12 am
pulitzerdave wrote:

I called out the players total disrespect for their head coach and I'm fairly certain I was told by you and other posters that I overreacted. Sneed turned into a volume shooter because there were literally zero other options. Don't blame the players for a literal face plant on the recruiting trail by the staff. BTW how many games would KSU have won without those 2 guys? It would have been single digits.
Nope, wasn't me. And I have no problem with volume shooters, as long as they make better than 30% from deep. Towards the end of the season, Sneed, who was ill-suited as our go-to guy, got more and more trigger happy to the detriment of the team. And Diarra got more petulant as the season wore on. And these two guys were indispensable? Give me a break.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 11th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Hypeman wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 7:25 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 1:31 pm

So half of Sneeds missed shots were because of Diarra.
You can’t put a number on it of course but you ask anyone who played the game what a timely pass, on target does for the shot. It makes an ‘huge’ difference.

Setting up shooters is skill ‘real’ point guards develop and a another one of the lost arts of today’s game, just like simple post moves.
I played a little bit and understand the value. I would question how many of Sneeds misses were the result of a bad pass from Diarra. For a good part of the year he was hestitating with his shot. Would start up with it. Stop and then go up with it. How much did Sneed missing shots reduce Diarra assist numbers,

learnin

Post by learnin » April 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
I won’t criticize Xavier except to say that he forced too many shots. He would have been better served by insisting others take more shots and I’m not talking about Cartier. I do believe last year’s team would have done better had Cartier transferred last summer. I believe they would have been better served with Sloan at point and Mike taking on more of a scoring role.

learnin

Post by learnin » April 11th, 2020, 3:02 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
pulitzerdave wrote:

You’re basing that assessment on the fact that Xavier and Cartier put up the bulk of the shots. It seems to me that Mak, Mike and Dajuan had the best shooting percentages. How do yo know they wouldn’t have done better with those 3 putting up more of the shots?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 11th, 2020, 4:07 pm

The portal will strike again.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 11th, 2020, 7:40 pm

learnin wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 3:02 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:

You’re basing that assessment on the fact that Xavier and Cartier put up the bulk of the shots. It seems to me that Mak, Mike and Dajuan had the best shooting percentages. How do yo know they wouldn’t have done better with those 3 putting up more of the shots?
Yes, those two "veterans" had career worst shooting percentage last year. And we would have been worse without them? What's worse than really bad? And what about all the careless turnovers. Think of all the wasted possessions that we could have turned into points, especially down the stretch of close games.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 11th, 2020, 8:47 pm

In retrospect it’s not really surprising that X and Carti’s shooting% went down this year. I said that would happen early this year. Defensive scouting reports are going to make that happen. But they should have made enough adjustments to correct that and counter the scouting reports. That involves several things including other players stepping up and taking the pressure off and that just never happened. That pretty much goes on the whole team and recruiting misses. And to be fair I don’t believe the horses were there to do that (make the adjustments) with what was available. And frankly as we saw, X and Carti weren’t good enough to overcome that on their own talents. And one of them got super frustrated about that.