Competition for playing time will be fierce

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pulitzerdave

Re: Competition for playing time will be fierce

Post by pulitzerdave » April 11th, 2020, 7:32 pm

The cream will rise. D.Williams and Selton Miguel are better than any players we have right now.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 12th, 2020, 8:51 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Regarding Merriweather and Colon. Every minute they got was too many for me.
Yet KSU won an absolute classic sweet 16 game, its reasonable to acknowledge a fantastic ncaa tourney game under someone other than weber.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 13th, 2020, 8:45 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 8:51 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
Yet KSU won an absolute classic sweet 16 game, its reasonable to acknowledge a fantastic ncaa tourney game under someone other than weber.
Merriewether only got 8.1 mpg. Not sure why anyone would be upset with him given he was just in there for a brief rest for the starters. To be fair, to anyone hating on him for the Xavier game, his foul should have been called.

Colon wasn't in the game for anything but rebounds, give some fouls, body up on other bigs and wear them down and give starters a rest. KSU didn't need him to score in the paint. He could play opposite Kelly or Samuels and just clear the lane and go after a board. He basically got 1 rebound every 3.8 minutes of playing time. That was actually the most efficient on the team. Although he also averaged the 2nd least efficient fouls per minute behind Wally Judge.

Every team needs those role players with the mentality to do the little things to help others succeed because not everyone is going to score.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 13th, 2020, 9:33 am

merriweather comes up not because he wasn't a good kid or tough baller but because he played ahead of 4* freshman rodney mcgruder in the classic ncaa sweet 16 match v. xavier. 16 minutes for chris versus 2 for rodney. thus, all these incoming 4* guys may find themselves playing behind d'gordon, mike, and rudi. merriweather was just an example of experience oft times trumping talent, nothing else.

colon was the classic banger and only further illustrates the point that experience wins out over talent - in this case j.o. and particularly at the 5 spot. nothing beyond that. colon was fun to watch for nothing other than his desire to win, gumption, and fear of frank. :lol:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 13th, 2020, 10:00 am

tmcats wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 9:33 am
merriweather comes up not because he wasn't a good kid or tough baller but because he played ahead of 4* freshman rodney mcgruder in the classic ncaa sweet 16 match v. xavier. 16 minutes for chris versus 2 for rodney. thus, all these incoming 4* guys may find themselves playing behind d'gordon, mike, and rudi. merriweather was just an example of experience oft times trumping talent, nothing else.

colon was the classic banger and only further illustrates the point that experience wins out over talent - in this case j.o. and particularly at the 5 spot. nothing beyond that. colon was fun to watch for nothing other than his desire to win, gumption, and fear of frank. :lol:
As much as I love McGruder, before the Xavier game, what had he done that would give anyone confidence he should be playing? He had a string of 4 games early in conference play getting 10+ ppg, but he also had some bad games getting 0-2. The 2 tournament games prior to Xavier, he played 13 and 12 minutes and got 3 points each game and the game after against Butler he played 14 minutes for 4 points. Now Merriewether wasn't a scorer either, but neither of them were needed to score (had 4 scorers on the team already). What was needed was a player that could play sound defense in reserve minutes, and coaches typically prefer upperclassmen leadership to understand that so I get why the decision was made.

I'm not sure KSU will be in the position this year where they have games of that magnitude in which the coach can't risk a freshman mistake. I think KSU could afford a lot more flexibility with the roster, if they wanted to, because the expectations will be a lot lower. With Merriwether, we were also talking about swapping out a reserve guard in a team that had several proven scorers to provide those extra things, like defense. I'm not sure yet this years upcoming team has those proven scorers set right now, so that leaves a lot of room for flexibility to help find that right mix of starters.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 13th, 2020, 10:16 am

these are great problems to have. for example, iowa state has 4 open scholarships presently with no names attached. they're competing with the likes of missouri and marquette for transfers to fill roster holes. hatin' on steve prohm is pretty intense up there in names. same with c'martin in como.

nickcyv
Apr 29, 2009

Cyforce said: ↑
WTF am I in support of? But whining like a little ***** changes nothing.
Calling our fan base vulgar names for being frustrated for the complete collapse of our basketball program changes things?

I think by calling them names and supporting Prohm actually changes even less...

Reminds me of the people who quoted “honor before victory” when Rhoads lost to UNI. People should complain, they should complain even louder than they are.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 13th, 2020, 10:34 am

No doubt that there will be transfers. It's just the reality of college sports nowadays. The 4-year (same school) senior is almost like finding a unicorn anymore.

I've seen guys make negative posts about players only in it to make the NBA. They all THINK they are going pro and they all think they should be playing in front of the guy that is playing. It's just not reality and it settles in very slowly and guys transfer out.

Now if these guys are all solid college players immediately, the coaches need to sell them on playing hard all the time. The guys that work their tails off (effectively) will be the ones getting the time.

I would point them to the kids on Kentucky in 14-15. No one on Kentucky averaged 26 minutes a game but that team played really hard all year (tough to get kids that highly ranked to work as hard as they did). They knew if they didn't put in the work, someone else would.

I know these kids are no where near that level, but if they have the talent that is advertised (very good, but no where near elite), they will know that they have to work hard, or their spot will be taken by the next guy.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 13th, 2020, 10:39 am

Things could definitely be worse.

Bruce Weber @ KSU (8 years):
161-110 (72-72)
2 Big 12 titles
5 NCAA tournament invites
1 Elite 8
1 Sweet 16
2019 FIBA Under-19 Gold Medal
Currently 23rd ranked 2020 class

Steve Prohm @ ISU (5 years):
95-73 (40-50)
3 NCAA tournament invites
1 Sweet 16
Currently 24th ranked 2020 class

Cuonzo Martin @ MU (3 years):
50-46 (22-32)
1 NCAA tournament invite
Currently 139th ranked 2020 class

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 13th, 2020, 5:14 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
Thats pretty harsh considering the commitment and time they devoted to KSU bball especially considering players are bailing left and right on programs. I think you and tmcats, etc just hate who their coach was so its a passive aggressive way to attack him. 🤷‍♂️
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 14th, 2020, 10:58 am

woof, look who's talking passive-aggressive here. ;-)

i used those guys as examples of why experience matters, nothing else.