Next Seasons Scheduled Games

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Horses_n_Hoops

Next Seasons Scheduled Games

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » April 10th, 2020, 4:27 pm

I've been thinking about next years scheduled games. Here is what we have (known) so far for the upcoming year (in no particular order):

UMKC (Home)

For UMKC standards, they had a pretty decent season for 2020. Above .500 and 4th place in conference play. They're rejoining the Summit League in 2020 They have a few seniors graduating and a few new guys coming in. It should be a fun game and a likely Wildcats win.

Central Arkansas (Home)

Rough season for the the Bears in 2020. I think they'll improve, but not enough to give us a huge challenge. Typical buy game and a likely Wildcat win.

Jacksonville (Home)

Jacksonville was 7-9 in ASUN play and they had somewhat of a disappointing season. Their best player, David Bell, who was Power 6 quality is graduating in May and it's hard to see them doing better without him. Should be a likely Wildcat win.

UNLV (Home)

Pretty solid first season for TJ Otzelberger. 12-6 in conference play and they beat San Diego State. The have a nice recruiting class coming in, not as good as ours but still pretty good. They are losing some very good production in Mitrou-Long and Hardy. I think we still have an edge here, but I wouldn't sleep on UNLV.

Nebraska (Neutral at the Sprint Center)

I personally feel that Fred Hoiberg is going to kill it at Nebraska. I think it was always expected that he was going to do amazing in the transfer market at Nebraska and he's certainly fulfilling those expectations. They have 5 transfers coming in right now. Two are top 10 JUCO kids, then there's Kobe King, a solid player from Wisconsin, Kobe Webster, a grad transfer from Western Illinois who scored 17 ppg, and Trey McGowens, one of the top sit one transfers on the market from Pitt. The NCAA is supposed to have a vote later this month on whether to allow kids the right to play immediately following a transfer. Not sure how that'll turn out but if they vote to allow it, Nebraska may have a solid squad. Even if they don't, there is at least a case for Kobe King to get a waiver (IMO) so they could at least have on of their sit one transfers. If the NCAA votes to allow transfers to play immediately, I would say Nebraska is the likely favorite going into this game. Still to early to tell. Nebraska isn't done recruiting either. They're still in the market for another 1 or 2 transfers, and they appear on so many high profile players short lists. I'll add that they have a few guys coming off the sit one for 2021, but none of them are real needle movers.

Cayman Islands Classic (Neutral in Paradise)

The bracket hasn't been revealed yet, but the teams playing are us, Miami, Oregon State, UNI, Ole Miss, Nevada, La Salle, and WKU. A lot better field than last year for this tournament (where the best team was NM State). The best team from this group may actually be Western Kentucky. Their best player, Charles Bassey , hurt himself and missed most of this past season but it looks as though he's not planning to leave even though he could be a good pro player. The team isn't losing a lot of production and they are adding a top 50 PG. 5'9 kid who was heavily recruited by KU but chose to stay in state (bag dropped). They could end up being an AP Top 25 team this year. Miami and Ole Miss should also improve this upcoming year and are probably contenders to win this holiday tournament. UNI probably would have won this with last years team, but they're losing some production and won't be as good, still competitive though. Oregon State is losing their best player, and while they're bringing a lot of guys back, I'm not a fan of Wayne Tinkle and I'm not a believer in this team. Nevada and La Salle are rebuilding and probably won't be significant competitors. This isn't a very challenging field, so if the Wildcats begin clicking early we might be able to make some noise here. Winning 2 games would be a good goal. However we all felt that way for the Fort Meyers Tip Off and we all saw how well that went.

Big12/SEC Challenge (Home, Probably)

We don't know who were playing yet but it should be a home game, so that's fun! We do know that it won't be Missouri, Vandy, Georgia, or Ole Miss because they won't qualify. Probably won't be Kentucky, LSU, or Auburn as they'll be headed to play teams at the top of the conference. That leaves Tennessee, Mississippi State, Florida, SC, TAMU, Alabama, and Arkansas. I think many of us want to play South Carolina. We're tied for the most losses in the Big12 at 5 in the challenge. Hope we can improve.

Big12/Big East Alliance (Away)

Big12 got slaughtered in this last year 8-2. The only reason I think we ended up playing Marquette was because we had already agreed to the home and home. This year we likely won't play Villanova and Creighton. I hope we don't play at Marquette again. Big East should be very good again next year. Top heavy, but still a 5 or so league. Should be a good series again.

I'll update the list as more games or matchups come out. Should be a fun year.
Last edited by Horses_n_Hoops on April 11th, 2020, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 10th, 2020, 5:38 pm

if usc,e we could retire pullen's number with his wish to have frank present. that would be great theater on so many levels.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 10th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Thanks HnH. That’s quite a write up.

I like this schedule with this young team. Should be challenging but not overly. Not going into Cameron or Rupp or the like and not a holiday tournament with half the field in or near the top 20. And lots of home games.

Just too bad Weber didn’t get to take this group on that Europe trip that was planned for this summer. That would have done a world of good for a young, inexperienced team.

Do they still have the choice on the scrimmages vs those early non cons against teams like Pitt St and Emporia St? Thinking the scrimmages may be more beneficial.

Horses_n_Hoops

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » April 10th, 2020, 7:11 pm

bhoovy wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 6:47 pm
Thanks HnH. That’s quite a write up.

I like this schedule with this young team. Should be challenging but not overly. Not going into Cameron or Rupp or the like and not a holiday tournament with half the field in or near the top 20. And lots of home games.

Just too bad Weber didn’t get to take this group on that Europe trip that was planned for this summer. That would have done a world of good for a young, inexperienced team.

Do they still have the choice on the scrimmages vs those early non cons against teams like Pitt St and Emporia St? Thinking the scrimmages may be more beneficial.
I agree with ya! I like this schedule too. I’ve been a little critical of KState scheduling but this one is very good so far. The holiday tourney is just right for these guys, Nebraska will be fun too. UMKC will be a good one too. Hope we get a few more Q3 games on there and then one more P6 team. Hope we also get someone good for the Sprint Center game too. Another A10/Q2 opponent would be good.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » April 10th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Horses_n_Hoops wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 4:27 pm
I've been thinking about next years scheduled games. Here is what we have (known) so far for the upcoming year (in no particular order):

UMKC (Home)

For UMKC standards, they had a pretty decent season for 2020. Above .500 and 4th place in conference play. They're rejoining the Summit League in 2020 They have a few seniors graduating and a few new guys coming in. It should be a fun game and a likely Wildcats win.

Central Arkansas (Home)

Rough season for the the Bears in 2020. I think they'll improve, but not enough to give us a huge challenge. Typical buy game and a likely Wildcat win.

UNLV (Home)

Pretty solid first season for TJ Otzelberger. 12-6 in conference play and they beat San Diego State. The have a nice recruiting class coming in, not as good as ours but still pretty good. They are losing some very good production in Mitrou-Long and Hardy. I think we still have an edge here, but I wouldn't sleep on UNLV.

Nebraska (Neutral at the Sprint Center)

I personally feel that Fred Hoiberg is going to kill it at Nebraska. I think it was always expected that he was going to do amazing in the transfer market at Nebraska and he's certainly fulfilling those expectations. They have 5 transfers coming in right now. Two are top 10 JUCO kids, then there's Kobe King, a solid player from Wisconsin, Kobe Webster, a grad transfer from Western Illinois who scored 17 ppg, and Trey McGowens, one of the top sit one transfers on the market from Pitt. The NCAA is supposed to have a vote later this month on whether to allow kids the right to play immediately following a transfer. Not sure how that'll turn out but if they vote to allow it, Nebraska may have a solid squad. Even if they don't, there is at least a case for Kobe King to get a waiver (IMO) so they could at least have on of their sit one transfers. If the NCAA votes to allow transfers to play immediately, I would say Nebraska is the likely favorite going into this game. Still to early to tell. Nebraska isn't done recruiting either. They're still in the market for another 1 or 2 transfers, and they appear on so many high profile players short lists. I'll add that they have a few guys coming off the sit one for 2021, but none of them are real needle movers.

Cayman Islands Classic (Neutral in Paradise)

The bracket hasn't been revealed yet, but the teams playing are us, Miami, Oregon State, UNI, Ole Miss, Nevada, La Salle, and WKU. A lot better field than last year for this tournament (where the best team was NM State). The best team from this group may actually be Western Kentucky. Their best player, Charles Bassey , hurt himself and missed most of this past season but it looks as though he's not planning to leave even though he could be a good pro player. The team isn't losing a lot of production and they are adding a top 50 PG. 5'9 kid who was heavily recruited by KU but chose to stay in state (bag dropped). They could end up being an AP Top 25 team this year. Miami and Ole Miss should also improve this upcoming year and are probably contenders to win this holiday tournament. UNI probably would have won this with last years team, but they're losing some production and won't be as good, still competitive though. Oregon State is losing their best player, and while they're bringing a lot of guys back, I'm not a fan of Wayne Tinkle and I'm not a believer in this team. Nevada and La Salle are rebuilding and probably won't be significant competitors. This isn't a very challenging field, so if the Wildcats begin clicking early we might be able to make some noise here. Winning 2 games would be a good goal. However we all felt that way for the Fort Meyers Tip Off and we all saw how well that went.

We don't know who were playing yet but it should be a home game, so that's fun! We do know that it won't be Missouri, Vandy, Georgia, or Ole Miss because they won't qualify. Probably won't be Kentucky, LSU, or Auburn as they'll be headed to play teams at the top of the conference. That leaves Tennessee, Mississippi State, Florida, SC, TAMU, Alabama, and Arkansas. I think many of us want to play South Carolina. We're tied for the most losses in the Big12 at 5 in the challenge. Hope we can improve.

Big12/Big East Alliance (Away)

Big12 got slaughtered in this last year 8-2. The only reason I think we ended up playing Marquette was because we had already agreed to the home and home. This year we likely won't play Villanova and Creighton. I hope we don't play at Marquette again. Big East should be very good again next year. Top heavy, but still a 5 or so league. Should be a good series again.

I'll update the list as more games or matchups come out. Should be a fun year.
This seems like a decent schedule any year but will be challenging for a group of young players. UNLV is down but it’s still UNLV so that is a big plus playing them for publicity. Hopefully big 12 can show up against the big East and SEC this year. It can’t get worse than last year. Cayman island looks interesting and dangerous. WKU would be really tough and UNI will be a top 20 caliber team with an all-american, so hopefully we can avoid both of those two and the potential bad losses. I really like playing Nebraska again, even if they suck. Nice playing some teams in our region again.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 10th, 2020, 9:39 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 5:38 pm
if usc,e we could retire pullen's number with his wish to have frank present. that would be great theater on so many levels.
I don't understand why they haven't matched K-State with South Carolina, unless the coaches and ADs from both schools didn't want it to happen.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 11th, 2020, 10:43 am

stlcatfan wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 9:39 pm
tmcats wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 5:38 pm
I don't understand why they haven't matched K-State with South Carolina, unless the coaches and ADs from both schools didn't want it to happen.
that and usc,e has been so crappy that they haven't been in the sec's top 10 thus not qualified for the b12 challenge.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Horses_n_Hoops

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » April 11th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Just reported that we'll be hosting Jacksonville for 20-21.

Jacksonville was 7-9 in ASUN play and they had somewhat of a disappointing season. Their best player, David Bell, who was Power 6 quality is graduating in May and it's hard to see them doing better without him. Should be a likely Wildcat win.

Will add that Jacksonville had one of my favorite uniforms from this past season. They did a throwback uni which you can check out here:

https://www.uniswag.com/blog/jacksonvil ... ro-uniform

Would be cool to see these and our lavenders on the court at the same time.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 12th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Horses_n_Hoops wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 4:27 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the SEC sets their teams on a 2 year basis to give their teams a home and away game. So I would think the teams being excluded would be the same teams excluded last year which was Georgia, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and South Carolina. If KSU is to get a home game, that means they would be matched up against a SEC team that played a home game last year, which was: Auburn, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Alabama or Florida.

If you look back, in 2016-17, the bottom 4 were Auburn, LSU, Missouri and Mississippi State. So they were left out in the following 2017-18 season. However, the bottom 4 in 2017-18 were Georgia, South Carolina, Vandy and Ole Miss, yet in 2018-19 the same 4 of Auburn, LSU, Missouri and Mississippi State were left out again because of the 2 year rotation.

Unless the SEC has changed this, it can't be South Carolina. KSU has already played Texas A&M (2018-19) and Alabama (2019-20) in recent seasons. Auburn and Florida seem like marquee matchups. So I would think my betting favorite would lean towards Arkansas.

Count at least 1 of Emporia State, Washburn, Pitt State, Fort Hays State, Newman in an exhibition game in Bramledge. Every year since Martin's 1st year (maybe before) at least 1 of these games has been played. Not that those matter much in W/L.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » May 27th, 2020, 5:11 pm

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/b ... 03606.html

Another article about the schedule for next season.