Serena Sundell

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
AlabamaLane

Serena Sundell

Post by AlabamaLane » March 29th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Commits to the Cats today for the class of 21. 6’ shooting guard who averaged 24 points and 6 rebounds for Maryville Missouri. Added in with the Glenn sisters and we have three perimeter players in the 20-21 class. Had offers from Providence, St. Louis, Drake, several of the Dakota schools and Kansas City ( formerly UMKC).

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » March 29th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Anyone seen her play? I saw she scored 52 in a game this year.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 30th, 2020, 9:31 am

Sounds good on paper. Let's hope for a fine career for her at KSU.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » March 30th, 2020, 9:53 am

i have not seen her play, but from what i have read i think she plays a lot of point guard but does so with a score first mentality. i'm not sure what class maryville plays in, so i don' know what level of competition she plays against. i think she does play at top level aau in the summer. without some attrition and depending on what happens with this 2020 class this would appear to fill the 2021 class. however, i do know they have several offers out there to players that are uncommitted. now they back off of those offers with the commitment from sundell. here are the players i know they have offered:
makiayah williams 6'0" f chicago, ill.
jersey wolfenberger 6'2" g fort smith, ark.
kaysia woods 6'0" f lincoln, neb.
sonia cistron 6'1" g new rochelle, n.y.
melanie daley 6'0" g hastings n.y.

there may be others, and some of these may have cut us from there list of interest. if any of you have any input, please chime in.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 30th, 2020, 10:28 am

maryville is a class 3 school meaning middle-sized. there are five classes.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » March 30th, 2020, 10:55 am

melanie daley, on the players i listed today, commited to northwestern over the weekend. incidently, there was an interesting interview with coach mittie regarding recruiting last friday on the k-state sports .com site. perhaps one of you more tech savvy than me could post it over to here.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 30th, 2020, 11:20 am

Why is there something rather than nothing?

oldcat59
Has thanked: 0

Post by oldcat59 » March 30th, 2020, 3:15 pm

We stopped in Maryville, Mo Tuesday evening, January 21st to watch Sundell play....... When we arrived the game had been postponed because of bad weather! Maryville is a Division 3 ( I believe) They were playing in the Missouri State Tournament when all games were canceled. Believe they were ready for their sweet 16 round. Maryville is same division as the Glenn Twin's high school. Should be fun to have all 3 of them in the same class! Yes, there are others still on the WATCH LIST... Think the Norman, OK girls is still on KSU radar, but she in on lots of schools radar! (We did watch her play in Norman and was not impressed, but every player has a bad night occasionally!) K-State coaches are still high on her.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm

greycat68 wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 9:53 am
i have not seen her play, but from what i have read i think she plays a lot of point guard but does so with a score first mentality. i'm not sure what class maryville plays in, so i don' know what level of competition she plays against. i think she does play at top level aau in the summer. without some attrition and depending on what happens with this 2020 class this would appear to fill the 2021 class. however, i do know they have several offers out there to players that are uncommitted. now they back off of those offers with the commitment from sundell. here are the players i know they have offered:
makiayah williams 6'0" f chicago, ill.
jersey wolfenberger 6'2" g fort smith, ark.
kaysia woods 6'0" f lincoln, neb.
sonia cistron 6'1" g new rochelle, n.y.
melanie daley 6'0" g hastings n.y.

there may be others, and some of these may have cut us from there list of interest. if any of you have any input, please chime in.
Wow, 6’ to 6’2” guards? The guards in the women’s game are getting to be as big as those in the men’s game.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » April 20th, 2020, 7:11 am

I've officiated her several times. I was told she was going D1 in volleyball. Good genes, her Dad played at Northwest Mo State. Probably with the proliferation of lower D1 schools today, he'd have played some D1 ball. Maryville is a big Class 3 school. Plays conference in the MEC which is mostly class 3 and 4 schools. (Don't get me started, before long everyone gets a trophy).

Very slender. I wouldn't say she's a great shooter but she's pretty darn good. Her team this year made it to the quarterfinal round of the state tournament in MO. They did finish the Classes 1,2 and 3 tournament. Classes 4&5 were halted before they played the state semis and finals. I also wouldn't call her shoot first. She passes well and rebounds out of the 1 well. She played with several freshman starters this year and for her whole career has been the marked player. The game she got 52 in, the opponent let her get out and run. I had their next meeting, ended up like 42-19. They got physical with her and the inexperience of her teammates showed.

From what I've seen, there's lots of potential. With her size (not height) I doubt if she plays any underneath. I could see her as a stretch 3, passer from the wing, 2 or 1 although I'm not sure how she would handle the ball against the quickness of D1 points. She could certainly handle it some. She seems to be a very "nice" girl so I'd think she'd need to get some attitude but maybe she's got it and can't really show it with the talent she plays high school ball with.