transfer nonsense getting completely out of control ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

transfer nonsense getting completely out of control ...

Post by tmcats » March 24th, 2020, 1:08 pm

While most were expected, a total of four Bulldogs on scholarship have entered the transfer portal since the end of the season, and they all did so around the same time. Freshman guard Devin Butts, freshman guard/wing Elias King, sophomore forward Prince Oduro and junior forward KeyShawn Feazell announced their intentions to transfer and continue their careers elsewhere. Butts, King and Oduro all entered the transfer portal last week followed by Feazell this week.

Also of note, rising senior E.J Datcher has also elected to transfer and entered the portal this week. Datcher was not on scholarship this past season and did not play at all during the season. Datcher redshirted and will be a graduate transfer.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 24th, 2020, 2:20 pm

I see the easing of transfer rules as having a mostly negative outcome. Immature 18 year olds who think they are much more ready then they actually are will bail for playing time. Very good upper classmen who see an opportunity to play for all the marbles will transfer to blue bloods in hopes of a final 4 run. I think the increased freedoms will be over shadowed by the excessive volatility and other unintended consequences.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 24th, 2020, 3:00 pm

this reminds me of isaiah moss who left a very good iowa team for ku. i mean how good would the hawkeyes have been with him on the wing? and how in the world does he justify leaving iowa city and his teammates for lawrence? i just don't get it. who the hell parents these youngsters?

Horses_n_Hoops

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » March 24th, 2020, 3:25 pm

There's a million reasons why a player might transfer. For some of them it might have nothing to do with basketball. If a guy wants to transfer than so be it, no reason to shame them for making a decision that could better their lives.

Per the Department of Education 25% of students who start at a four year college transfer. It's not really a big deal.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 24th, 2020, 3:34 pm

25% of college students do not transfer their senior year. the number is actually half that and a third that number for 5th year students. i agree though that moss may have had issues, otherwise, why would he ever leave his teammates and a really good iowa team? that's why i conclude this whole transfer thing is out of control and often illogical, isaiah moss being a case in point.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 24th, 2020, 4:13 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:34 pm
25% of college students do not transfer their senior year. the number is actually half that and a third that number for 5th year students. i agree though that moss may have had issues, otherwise, why would he ever leave his teammates and a really good iowa team? that's why i conclude this whole transfer thing is out of control and often illogical, isaiah moss being a case in point.

Those transferring their senior year have mostly already graduated. It is what it is.

Horses_n_Hoops

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » March 24th, 2020, 4:32 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:34 pm

25% of college students transfer throughout their college career. That’s not going to include students who grad transfer, that’s a completely different situation.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » March 24th, 2020, 8:03 pm

All this is doing is shining an even brighter spotlight on the fact that so many of these kids have no business being on a COLLEGE campus. They have no interest whatsoever in the academics at the SCHOOL. They all think they are going to get paid. All they want to do is ball. So they jump around now trying to find minutes. And a "player's coach" that will let them do whatever, whenever they want. It is systematically ruining COLLEGE athletics and it is a joke. And quite frankly, very sad.

Can you IMAGINE the bag men behind the scenes right now and how much money is being presented under the table?!?!?!
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » March 25th, 2020, 9:46 am

I think we should just pay players, that will solve this transfer issue, kind of like free agency helped team stability in MLB.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 25th, 2020, 10:09 am

epicsnyder wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 8:03 pm
All this is doing is shining an even brighter spotlight on the fact that so many of these kids have no business being on a COLLEGE campus. They have no interest whatsoever in the academics at the SCHOOL. They all think they are going to get paid. All they want to do is ball. So they jump around now trying to find minutes. And a "player's coach" that will let them do whatever, whenever they want. It is systematically ruining COLLEGE athletics and it is a joke. And quite frankly, very sad.

Can you IMAGINE the bag men behind the scenes right now and how much money is being presented under the table?!?!?!
Its been that way for 50 years, Transferring or not transferring doesn't change that.

Many of these players do end up getting degrees and if they transfer and have to sit out a year, the chance of that happening is enhanced.

I don't see a problem with players who think either they are better off at a different institution. Maybe it is a bad decision but it is their decision.
Why would we want a player on our roster who doesn't want to be there.

IE: We are fine and everyone hoping Shadd transfers. How about when Angel decided to transfer.

Typical fan reactions:
Shadd - (Not good enough even though we gave him a scholarship and needs to transfer out.)
Angel - (That has to be a bad move for him. Must have somebody at Miami paying him to transfer. etc.)