What to Expect next year:

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
kcsinger

What to Expect next year:

Post by kcsinger » March 24th, 2020, 8:19 am

With all this social distancing, I need something non-covid 19 to discuss:
Was wondering what those in the know think about what we will have next year: I know we have Yoki , Rankin, and Carr back but will miss Williams and Harris. Who do we have to take some of the pressure off Yoki on the inside and will Rankin return from injury. Carr needs to be more consistant. I have no idea if Simmons is the answer at point or who we have that will step up

Just a couple of discusion starters to help me get through this boardum

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 24th, 2020, 8:51 am

There is a 6’6” post from Wisconsin coming in and then Ashley Ray should be back from injury. Of course they aren’t Peyton Williams but will supply some size. A redshirt freshman fromChicago??? And recruit from Denver will supply some guard help. We need a couple from Macke, Goodrich, Ebert, and Chapman to take a big step forward. I think we might still have one scholarship left plus any transfers (Wiggins)?

kcsinger

Post by kcsinger » March 24th, 2020, 10:13 am

AlabamaLane wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 8:51 am
There is a 6’6” post from Wisconsin coming in and then Ashley Ray should be back from injury. Of course they aren’t Peyton Williams but will supply some size. A redshirt freshman fromChicago??? And recruit from Denver will supply some guard help. We need a couple from Macke, Goodrich, Ebert, and Chapman to take a big step forward. I think we might still have one scholarship left plus any transfers (Wiggins)?
Didn't Wiggins talk about transferring last year???

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » March 24th, 2020, 10:19 am

from what i have seen which isn't alot, the girl from denver looks like a player that can step in and play as a freshman. she is a scorer, but don't know if she is a true point guard. if they don't find a jucp or grad transfer point guard, i wouldn't be surprised to see ebert get a real shot at it. if she works hard, gets stronger and develops her skills i think they see her as having a chance to be the point guard of the future. i have heard him compare her to kayla goth as a freshman. the 6'6" post from wisconsin appears to me to be a project who is going to take some time. she has good hands and shootsing touch but needs to improve her footwork and get much-much stronger. wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of current players leave the program, but won't speculate on who they are. i know before the covid-19 shutdown they were looking at several juco players and they are always looking at the everchanging transfer portal. if they don't find some immediate help to replace peyton, macke andchapman are going to have to step up big time, or we are going to have to go with yokie and 4 guards.

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » March 24th, 2020, 10:24 am

Losing Williams and Harris is gonna be hard! Harris was so quick and would really push the ball. Maybe they can bring in another PG grad transfer. I only watched maybe 1/2 dozen games this year, so I don't know what I am talking about, but I did not see depth from the bench that will provide much next year. Just not much athleticism .

kcsinger

Post by kcsinger » March 24th, 2020, 10:25 am

greycat68 wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 10:19 am
from what i have seen which isn't alot, the girl from denver looks like a player that can step in and play as a freshman. she is a scorer, but don't know if she is a true point guard. if they don't find a jucp or grad transfer point guard, i wouldn't be surprised to see ebert get a real shot at it. if she works hard, gets stronger and develops her skills i think they see her as having a chance to be the point guard of the future. i have heard him compare her to kayla goth as a freshman. the 6'6" post from wisconsin appears to me to be a project who is going to take some time. she has good hands and shootsing touch but needs to improve her footwork and get much-much stronger. wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of current players leave the program, but won't speculate on who they are. i know before the covid-19 shutdown they were looking at several juco players and they are always looking at the everchanging transfer portal. if they don't find some immediate help to replace peyton, macke andchapman are going to have to step up big time, or we are going to have to go with yokie and 4 guards.
Thanks Greycat, this is the kind of discussion I was hoping would happen with a little more info than I have. I would love to see Rankin come back with a chip on her shoulder and take it to the next level. Same with Carr, then Yoki would have a heyday in the middle.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » March 24th, 2020, 1:42 pm

I expect another NIT season at best. Yoki will get all the attention. We dont have anyone else who "scares" opponents. Peyton will be sorely missed. Not only for her pts and rebounds, but she was one of the few who could get the ball to Lee consistently. Macke, Ray, Chapman, Lauterbach are all huge downgrades at the 4 position. Our current guards (Ranke, Carr, Goodrich, Simmons) are no threat to drive into the paint and score like Harris gave us this year. They will be a predominately jump shooting team. And we've seen how inconsistent our guards are at shooting. Hoping Thorpe or Moore has penetrating ability, if not, another mediocre Mittie year.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 24th, 2020, 3:26 pm

hope is that rachael ranke comes back with a strong senior season, her last go-around. she has a sweet jumper something that was thoroughly absent from this year's squad. christiana carr might also find her game with added maturity. if they do and point guard can be solved, this next team could be good. peyton was a fabulous student-athlete and will certainly be missed.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 24th, 2020, 4:17 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:26 pm
hope is that rachael ranke comes back with a strong senior season, her last go-around. she has a sweet jumper something that was thoroughly absent from this year's squad. christiana carr might also find her game with added maturity. if they do and point guard can be solved, this next team could be good. peyton was a fabulous student-athlete and will certainly be missed.
I would hope that Ranke would have a redshirt season available if she chooses and will be classified as a junior next year.

catl

Post by catl » March 24th, 2020, 9:14 pm

They need consistent outside shooting to take the pressure off Lee, particularly without Williams. Otherwise, she will always be double or triple teamed. Need Ranke and Carr or Simmons to hit at least 35% from 3 range. Other big need is a point guard who can drive and dish without excessive turnovers.