The defending Big XII Champions
Hypeman

Re: Spring Practice?

Post by Hypeman » March 17th, 2020, 5:28 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 11:00 am
Hypeman wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Athletics has ‘big’ salaries and contracts to pay. They need your money, play or no play. Pony up man, if you’re a true fan.
I'm assuming this is sarcasm.
You assume correctly. But I’m not so sure that’s far from the thinking in the athletics dept. You won’t be getting your money back for games not played just like the university isn’t giving money back to the kids that have been kicked out of the dorm.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 18th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Guess I was a few days too early in asking:

With recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the season ticket priority deadline for the 2020 football season, originally set for April 17, has been extended to May 1.

“These are certainly unprecedented times that have impacted our entire country, and we want to do everything we can to be of assistance to our fans,” Taylor said. “While we are firmly focused on the health and well-being of our country by maintaining flexibility and adaptability each and every day, we do look forward to returning to a degree of normalcy which includes an exciting 2020 football season.”

Along with the deadline extension, a new three-month payment plan will be introduced. This payment plan will give fans the flexibility of being able to secure their seats but won’t require them to make a payment toward their balance until May 1.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 18th, 2020, 2:49 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 1:16 pm

With recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the season ticket priority deadline for the 2020 football season, originally set for April 17, has been extended to May 1.

“These are certainly unprecedented times that have impacted our entire country, and we want to do everything we can to be of assistance to our fans,” Taylor said. “While we are firmly focused on the health and well-being of our country by maintaining flexibility and adaptability each and every day, we do look forward to returning to a degree of normalcy which includes an exciting 2020 football season.”

Along with the deadline extension, a new three-month payment plan will be introduced. This payment plan will give fans the flexibility of being able to secure their seats but won’t require them to make a payment toward their balance until May 1.
Do you get your money back if they don’t play?

On another note ... does this not sum up what’s wrong with America today? Get on a payment plan for your football tickets! If you can’t afford them, don’t buy them.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 18th, 2020, 3:05 pm

besides the rest of america, this c'virus will likely put a pinch on athletic departments across the land and here as well if people don't renew their tickets and ahearn contributions. a lot of jobs are dependent upon ongoing support.

athletics is little different than the airline, auto dealer, grocery, cafe, or bar right now. the ncaa tournament cancellation will cost an unknown revenue stream as well.

thankfully, k-state athletics financials have had an operating surplus the past few years and was sitting on $44 million in cash at the end of last reporting cycle.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 18th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 2:49 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 1:16 pm

On another note ... does this not sum up what’s wrong with America today? Get on a payment plan for your football tickets! If you can’t afford them, don’t buy them.
I would assume that we would not get back any Ahearn donations as while they are needed for football tickets, they aren't directly tied to football tickets. It is unfortunate they cut back the amount of this you can claim on taxes as well.

Now if they don't play, do we get the money back for tickets? That is a good question. Right now, everyone seems to be operating that this will die down due to quarantines, social distancing, as well as the summer heat so they are expecting football season to happen. So they are probably not thinking about not playing.

Many companies, from utilities, mortages, etc are removing late fees, or giving a month off, or other remedy to help people not get too far behind. It's not unheard of for them to push the payment plan back.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 18th, 2020, 7:45 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Hypeman wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 2:49 pm

I would assume that we would not get back any Ahearn donations as while they are needed for football tickets, they aren't directly tied to football tickets. It is unfortunate they cut back the amount of this you can claim on taxes as well.

Now if they don't play, do we get the money back for tickets? That is a good question. Right now, everyone seems to be operating that this will die down due to quarantines, social distancing, as well as the summer heat so they are expecting football season to happen. So they are probably not thinking about not playing.

Many companies, from utilities, mortages, etc are removing late fees, or giving a month off, or other remedy to help people not get too far behind. It's not unheard of for them to push the payment plan back.
The equivalent of reducing fees etc. would be reducing your Ahearn contribution. I don’t see that happening or any discussion of that.

What I see is some fans might be short money due to business downturns, investment losses, getting laid off etc. and the response to that is ... put it on a payment plan! AKA, a mortgage for seats.

The problem with society is that many people that can’t really afford the tickets will look at the new payment plan and assume the do. One more step to bankruptcy.

Side note, I’ve always been shocked that athletic departments have been able to make part of their ticket price tax deductible. Quite a scam that fleeces the average taxpayer.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 18th, 2020, 7:49 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 3:05 pm
besides the rest of america, this c'virus will likely put a pinch on athletic departments across the land and here as well if people don't renew their tickets and ahearn contributions. a lot of jobs are dependent upon ongoing support.

athletics is little different than the airline, auto dealer, grocery, cafe, or bar right now. the ncaa tournament cancellation will cost an unknown revenue stream as well.

thankfully, k-state athletics financials have had an operating surplus the past few years and was sitting on $44 million in cash at the end of last reporting cycle.
Do you think coaches and AD’s should take a pay cut to save those jobs? KSU keeps taking in more money but sending it out the door by way of coaches salaries. Maybe it’s time to revisit the model? I hope many athletics depts. get into financial trouble so the insanity stops.

Also, the general rule of non-profit management is that they shouldn’t sit on cash. It tends to get misappropriated when they do.

As you can probably guess, I’m not going to renew and buy game by game instead. I’m not going to risk it based in part on how the university admin is treating students. Kicking them out of the dorms for example, while keeping the rents. Despicable.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 19th, 2020, 11:38 am

it's a little early to be making long term decisions about athletics department budgets. this c'virus could end quickly or go on for much longer and take millions of lives. we don't know.

if i'm gene taylor, i hold my water to see what comes of it. personally, i believe we'll have a fix for the virus within weeks. if that happens, markets will rally and everything will return to normal. if not, only god knows the ramifications.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 19th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 7:45 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 4:39 pm

The equivalent of reducing fees etc. would be reducing your Ahearn contribution. I don’t see that happening or any discussion of that.

What I see is some fans might be short money due to business downturns, investment losses, getting laid off etc. and the response to that is ... put it on a payment plan! AKA, a mortgage for seats.

The problem with society is that many people that can’t really afford the tickets will look at the new payment plan and assume the do. One more step to bankruptcy.

Side note, I’ve always been shocked that athletic departments have been able to make part of their ticket price tax deductible. Quite a scam that fleeces the average taxpayer.
Well to start, Ahearn Fund is only loosely associated with tickets. You can donate to it, and not buy any tickets, and you can donate to it and it applies to your Ahearn level for multiple sports. It used to be 100% tax deductible until that last year or so. It is not a scam as it is no different then donating to any other scholarship, except for the fact that you have to be a certain level of member to get higher level tickets. There are perks that come with donating to many charities, like access to special events, higher status, etc. so this is no different. No one is forcing you to pay to the Ahearn membership to buy tickets, but if you want the more premium seats, or a parking spot, then you have to be a certain level of donor. They also use donations to help rank priority for tickets, which makes sense, because those that pay more should get better access to tickets.

If they reduce the Ahearn fund, that is less $$ for sports, for equipment, for coaches, etc. I would have to guess that donations probably fund more of the budget then the ticket sales.

The payment plan is nothing new either. Previously, they had 5 and 4 month plans. What they are offering in relief is a delay in the start of the payment plan and offering a 3 month plan so fans can delay that first payment while funds are tight right now. Payment plans have been going on for many years, you don't have to pay it all up front. Makes me question if you have ever even bought season tickets if you don't understand this. BTW, a mortgage also has interest, the ticket payment plan does not. They are not getting anything extra for you to spread out your payments, just making it more accessible then trying to pay 1 large sum.

As for the average taxpayer, no one is getting fleeced by others using charities as a deduction just like no one is getting fleeced by a farmer buying a $70k truck with leather seats and writing that off when they could do just the same with a cheaper truck, or a small business writing off utilities in their home office.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 19th, 2020, 5:05 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Hypeman wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Well to start, Ahearn Fund is only loosely associated with tickets. You can donate to it, and not buy any tickets, and you can donate to it and it applies to your Ahearn level for multiple sports. It used to be 100% tax deductible until that last year or so. It is not a scam as it is no different then donating to any other scholarship, except for the fact that you have to be a certain level of member to get higher level tickets. There are perks that come with donating to many charities, like access to special events, higher status, etc. so this is no different. No one is forcing you to pay to the Ahearn membership to buy tickets, but if you want the more premium seats, or a parking spot, then you have to be a certain level of donor. They also use donations to help rank priority for tickets, which makes sense, because those that pay more should get better access to tickets.

If they reduce the Ahearn fund, that is less $$ for sports, for equipment, for coaches, etc. I would have to guess that donations probably fund more of the budget then the ticket sales.

The payment plan is nothing new either. Previously, they had 5 and 4 month plans. What they are offering in relief is a delay in the start of the payment plan and offering a 3 month plan so fans can delay that first payment while funds are tight right now. Payment plans have been going on for many years, you don't have to pay it all up front. Makes me question if you have ever even bought season tickets if you don't understand this. BTW, a mortgage also has interest, the ticket payment plan does not. They are not getting anything extra for you to spread out your payments, just making it more accessible then trying to pay 1 large sum.

As for the average taxpayer, no one is getting fleeced by others using charities as a deduction just like no one is getting fleeced by a farmer buying a $70k truck with leather seats and writing that off when they could do just the same with a cheaper truck, or a small business writing off utilities in their home office.
I completely disagree with your entire post.