Scottie Hazleton is leaving

The defending Big XII Champions
AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: Scottie Hazleton is leaving

Post by AJcat7755 » March 10th, 2020, 10:02 am

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2020/03/mi ... -year.html

$400k raise and $250k more then any other assistant.

What's interesting is that his title is Secchia Family Defensive Coordinator as the he is Michigan State's first endowed coaching position funded by prominent donors. Looks like Michigan State probably couldn't have paid that much without the donation.

Hazelton also won't owe a buyout if he leaves to be a HC at another school.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 10th, 2020, 12:16 pm

You guys call it job hopping, I call it being a good coach and wanting to better yourself and your family. Until he reaches a dream position, he will hop because he's good and there will be a demand. People seek him out, offer him far more $, and you expect him to stay? C'mon guys.... Bill Snyder was rare. He will be a HC, if he wants to in 3-4 years, if not sooner. Good for him.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » March 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm

wild@nite wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 12:16 pm
You guys call it job hopping, I call it being a good coach and wanting to better yourself and your family. Until he reaches a dream position, he will hop because he's good and there will be a demand. People seek him out, offer him far more $, and you expect him to stay? C'mon guys.... Bill Snyder was rare. He will be a HC, if he wants to in 3-4 years, if not sooner. Good for him.

Yes and no. Obviously looking to improve your lot is a part of life, but it also can bring a reputation as a job hopper, which is what Hazelton has since he has moved so much. That is fine, but it can also potentially be a negative as he looks to be a head coach. Will an AD be comfortable hiring a guy that has had 7 jobs in 10 years or whatever it is? Some will, but some won't. It is one thing to job hop as a DC, people can recover pretty smoothly if a guy leaves after a year or two as the DC. But as a head coach, even though an AD might not expect someone to stay forever like Coach Snyder, they also might not like the idea of a guy bolting at the very first opportunity that opens up if it is more money or whatever.

Bill Snyder is rare, but a guy that has had 7 jobs in 10 years can be classified as a job hopper and it is a legitimate stigma.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 10th, 2020, 2:31 pm

IMO, it all depends on why they change jobs and how long they stay at each job.

For example, if they leave a job because their HC was fired, and maybe the new HC didn't retain them, or they were demoted, then I don't think that is a hit to their career. (ex. Blake Seiler)

Or if they are at a job for 3 or more years, then it's more acceptable that they move. (My company doesn't even let you move internally till you have been in a position for 2 years).

Or if they are "forced out" without actually being fired, and have to take a lateral or lower position to save face.

Or if their alma mater, hometown, or a family matter requires them to make a move. (ex. Bob Huggins)

I took a job out of college, and 6 months later, I was offered a 55% raise so I put in my 2 weeks that day so I'm never going to blame someone for taking a pay raise. It just comes down to how frequently you make those jumps.

With his clause built in, I would not be surprised to see Hazelton jump to a HC, in the NFL or college, in 3-5 years.

powercat5000

Post by powercat5000 » March 10th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Sorry, but if I was offered to double my salary at another location and my current job wouldn’t come even close to matching that amount.... I’d be gone. With Hazelton I can understand why he left and I can understand why ad gene Taylor didn’t try to match- especially if Hazelton wasn't a recruiter, and one year at ksu isn’t enough to prove he’d be good year in and year out
Our Freedom Does Not End where Fear Begins

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 11th, 2020, 2:36 am

Gorhoops wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm
wild@nite wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Yes and no. Obviously looking to improve your lot is a part of life, but it also can bring a reputation as a job hopper, which is what Hazelton has since he has moved so much. That is fine, but it can also potentially be a negative as he looks to be a head coach. Will an AD be comfortable hiring a guy that has had 7 jobs in 10 years or whatever it is? Some will, but some won't. It is one thing to job hop as a DC, people can recover pretty smoothly if a guy leaves after a year or two as the DC. But as a head coach, even though an AD might not expect someone to stay forever like Coach Snyder, they also might not like the idea of a guy bolting at the very first opportunity that opens up if it is more money or whatever.

Bill Snyder is rare, but a guy that has had 7 jobs in 10 years can be classified as a job hopper and it is a legitimate stigma.
In the coaching profession, as long as you are moving up and getting sought after for good performance, it isn't looked at as job hopping.