Scottie Hazleton is leaving

The defending Big XII Champions
Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scottie Hazleton is leaving

Post by Opensource » February 28th, 2020, 3:21 pm

The reality is if you pay Haze a million then you have to up the Head Coaches salary and everyone elses. It is more likely that people get upset and leave if things are out of balance Tucker is making more than 5 million a year and his contract give him a 6 million dollar assistant coach salary pool. For example, Michigan State football paying new OL coach/run game guru Chris Kapilovic $700,000 a year.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 28th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Opensource wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 3:21 pm
The reality is if you pay Haze a million then you have to up the Head Coaches salary and everyone elses. It is more likely that people get upset and leave if things are out of balance Tucker is making more than 5 million a year and his contract give him a 6 million dollar assistant coach salary pool. For example, Michigan State football paying new OL coach/run game guru Chris Kapilovic $700,000 a year.
$700k to coach some blockers. Isn’t that double the salary of the President of the United States? That makes you want to puke.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » February 28th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Ha ha, he was not even CK's first choice. He did a fine job. Who could blame him for taking a big pay raise. CK will find a new coach who will do a fine job. We will be fine. Our OC is just OK and we managed to win 8 games LOL. If CK leaves then I will start to worry about our programs future.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 28th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Matt Entz seems like a logical possibility. KSU could easily give him a pay raise, and him and Klieman are obviously very family in working with each other.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 28th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Hypeman wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 4:43 pm
Opensource wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 3:21 pm
$700k to coach some blockers. Isn’t that double the salary of the President of the United States? That makes you want to puke.
And compare that to what the average professor is getting paid at MSU. I'm sure it is no where near 700K. Look at how many middle school and high school teachers have to work part-time second jobs because they can't make ends meet on their full-time salary. Another reminder of how out of whack things have become.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 28th, 2020, 5:32 pm

KsJoey wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Matt Entz seems like a logical possibility. KSU could easily give him a pay raise, and him and Klieman are obviously very family in working with each other.
Entz made a base of $380k last year, but with bonuses for winning the conference and the FCS championship he got $419k. Hazleton was making $550k base (not sure what bonuses he had) and was KSU's highest paid assistant. I honestly don't think that is enough of a pay raise to leave as he should routinely get the bonuses at NDSU if he keeps winning and now that the path has been shown with Bohl and CK, if he keeps it going he could have a shot at a FBS HC job sooner then being a DC. And trying to be impartial, he might get more visibility winning NC at NDSU then being the DC at KSU and winning 6-8 games in the Big 12. Big (maybe biggest) fish in the small FCS pond, or a small fish in a really big pond of FBS.

For comparison, CK was making $475k at NDSU before he left for KSU to make $2.3 million. That seems like a jump that may be worth waiting for then jumping now for maybe $150k more year.

Texan4KSU

Post by Texan4KSU » February 28th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Unless Entz just wants to coach with Coach Klieman he would need more than $600k for it to be any kind of financial move. Sales tax in North Dakota is like 5% or so and state income tax is around 3%. North Dakota much easier on you tax wise. I think we will promote from within. When does Spring ball start? I would think we would know before then.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 29th, 2020, 11:47 am

Texan4KSU wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 7:10 pm
Unless Entz just wants to coach with Coach Klieman he would need more than $600k for it to be any kind of financial move. Sales tax in North Dakota is like 5% or so and state income tax is around 3%. North Dakota much easier on you tax wise. I think we will promote from within. When does Spring ball start? I would think we would know before then.
Somehow our athletic department is going to have to find a way to be competitive in salaries without going nuts in how much we pay our coaches. Along with paying off the former football staff and putting money toward building and updating athletic facilities, there is only so much money to go around without breaking the bank.

I know Hazelton was paid a base salary of 550K last season, but does anyone know what he made with bonuses? I wonder also how much K-State offered to match when Washington St. and Miss. St. came calling. I don't blame our AD for saying, "Sorry Scottie. We just can't match the kind of money Michigan State is offering you." Sadly, major college athletics is caught up in a huge arms race.

I agree with you. I think we will promote from within (most likely Klanderman or Malone), although there are plenty of good DCs out there coaching at smaller schools who would see coaching here as a step up in their careers.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 29th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 10:30 pm
I'm bummed to see Haz go, but I knew it would happen next year if it didn't happen this year. He's a job hopper. Great coach, but job hopper. I wish him well.
You weren't kidding. Check out his college coaching career history. If I counted correctly, he has been coaching for 24 years on the collegiate level. Michigan State will be his 12th stop in that time frame! I wonder how long he will stay at MSU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottie_Hazelton

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » March 3rd, 2020, 6:24 am

A huge point, from a business standpoint, is watching if the Peter Principle bites Haze.

All too often we see this bite the Azzes of FeetBall Helpers.
Peter Principle: Observation that in an hierarchy people tend to rise to "their level of incompetence." Thus, as people are promoted, they become progressively less-effective because good performance in one job does not guarantee similar performance in another.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed