Baylor v ku

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: Baylor v ku

Post by learnin » February 25th, 2020, 9:07 am

Hand it to Self. He has worked and found a niche that works very well for what he has this year. First of all, he spruced up the defense knowing quite well that his guys weren't going to score 80 points per game because Dok is the most important offensive weapon. It's hard to score on KU this year and that is going to keep them in every game. Now, add to the fact that you have the best 5 in the nation who is stronger than any one down there.
Now, add to the equation that Self knows how to adjust his offense to keep getting him the ball because he has a very strong point guard with role players who are not bad and you have success. This is one of the best teams KU has had in 5 years.

Now. It's easy to say that some team will come up in the dance and knock them off. it won't be because KU is not that good because they are as good as any team in the land. If I had to bet my house on KU winning it all against the field, I'm taking the field because anything can happen in one game. There are 20 teams, in the land, who can take them to the wire and that means they'll need for those teams to not get unconscious shooting the 3 ball in one game. They'll need the game to be officiated according to the way they would like it to be officiated. For instance, will some team have a big or two who can get real physical with Dok and get away with it? Will Dok get in foul trouble?

KU is a legitimate # 1, but anything can happen in one game.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 25th, 2020, 9:12 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:02 am
They've attempted the 2nd fewest 3s in the league and their overall FG% is ridiculous. It's more a product of facing poor defenses and getting layups, dunks, and WIDE open 3s. Again I could be wrong but I believe they will be knocked out by someone with the size and athleticism to challenge Azubuike down low and make them shoot jump shots. Braun is the one addition that could get hot and carry them from outside in a game or 2. Dotson spends all game making layups or throwing alley oops. Also against the only high quality team in the conf imo they shot a paltry 7-28 from 3 in 2 games.
Baylor won the first game by holding Doke down. They fronted him and had the weak side defender overplay the lane so he was there to steal or knock down any entry passes. Self adjusted in this game by having his guards drive the lane and lob over the man fronting Doke. Great adjustment and hard to stop. Baylor needed to shoot better to win this game.
Next time they play their will be more adjustments made. Maybe Baylor shoots better. Maybe KU does. Looks like about a toss up match up to me.

Not sure how we stop Doke Saturday. Maybe double him as much as possible and take a chance on a couple of their guards missing shots. Then they will drive the lane and finish if don't pick them up or lob to Doke if we do.

I hope we do use Shadd just to go in and bang some and be very physical. If he fouls out and sends Dok to the line, that won't hurt us anymore than watching him dunk it.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 25th, 2020, 9:14 am

I hope Diarra uses his step back three in this game. He and Sneed getting hot from three is our best shot. And don't turn it over.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 25th, 2020, 9:20 am

Shadd didn’t even go through warmups with the team Saturday. Stood there grinning and talking to a manager.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 25th, 2020, 9:51 am

Puffdad wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 9:20 am
Shadd didn’t even go through warmups with the team Saturday. Stood there grinning and talking to a manager.
At this point, highly doubt Shadd sees the floor this year, and maybe ever again, for KSU. He practices less then the transfer who can't even play till next year.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » February 25th, 2020, 10:51 am

"Will Dok get in foul trouble?"

Only those who are older than dirt will remember back in the day when we were played Texas Western(at least i think that was their name then) and they had a player, a center, by the name of Bad News Barnes. I dont know how tall he was but he was a freakin' beast.

We were given little chance to win. Again, I am going way back, but it seems to me when he fouled out early in the game he had more fouls than points.

So, it can happen that the beast goes down. Not often and i doubt that it will happen Saturday. In fact, i am suspecting Dok will be dunkin' on our pumpkin heads the entire game and get fouled in the process.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 25th, 2020, 11:47 am

If we get off to a good start (not down 14-2 right off the bat as usual) and get the place rowdy, we may be able to hang around, but with the Big 12 race still on the line, KU will be primed and ready. Not good for us.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 25th, 2020, 12:49 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 9:12 am
gdgjr78 wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:02 am
They've attempted the 2nd fewest 3s in the league and their overall FG% is ridiculous. It's more a product of facing poor defenses and getting layups, dunks, and WIDE open 3s. Again I could be wrong but I believe they will be knocked out by someone with the size and athleticism to challenge Azubuike down low and make them shoot jump shots. Braun is the one addition that could get hot and carry them from outside in a game or 2. Dotson spends all game making layups or throwing alley oops. Also against the only high quality team in the conf imo they shot a paltry 7-28 from 3 in 2 games.
Baylor won the first game by holding Doke down. They fronted him and had the weak side defender overplay the lane so he was there to steal or knock down any entry passes. Self adjusted in this game by having his guards drive the lane and lob over the man fronting Doke. Great adjustment and hard to stop. Baylor needed to shoot better to win this game.
Next time they play their will be more adjustments made. Maybe Baylor shoots better. Maybe KU does. Looks like about a toss up match up to me.

Not sure how we stop Doke Saturday. Maybe double him as much as possible and take a chance on a couple of their guards missing shots. Then they will drive the lane and finish if don't pick them up or lob to Doke if we do.

I hope we do use Shadd just to go in and bang some and be very physical. If he fouls out and sends Dok to the line, that won't hurt us anymore than watching him dunk it.
From what I read, Baylor missed too many free throws or they would have won this game. I don't think they missed against us and won't miss any tonight.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 25th, 2020, 12:59 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 9:14 am
I hope Diarra uses his step back three in this game. He and Sneed getting hot from three is our best shot. And don't turn it over.
Put both Diarra and Sneed in the opposite corners. They'll have to come out and guard, which will leave the paint more open. Mak at the high post to the left or right of the free throw line to draw Dok out. If Dok hedges, let Mak shoot free throws. Same for Stockard. David at the point to drive the ball opposite side of where Mak is posting. If Dok commits, pass to Mak for a free throw. If Xavier or Cartier's defenders commit, pass out to the open man in the corner and DEMAND they shoot the three even if they miss three in a row. D. Gordon, or A. Gordon out on the wing to get back or take a shot if the ball is back out at them.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 25th, 2020, 3:07 pm

learnin wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 12:59 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 9:14 am
Put both Diarra and Sneed in the opposite corners. They'll have to come out and guard, which will leave the paint more open. Mak at the high post to the left or right of the free throw line to draw Dok out. If Dok hedges, let Mak shoot free throws. Same for Stockard. David at the point to drive the ball opposite side of where Mak is posting. If Dok commits, pass to Mak for a free throw. If Xavier or Cartier's defenders commit, pass out to the open man in the corner and DEMAND they shoot the three even if they miss three in a row. D. Gordon, or A. Gordon out on the wing to get back or take a shot if the ball is back out at them.
Don't see any of that working. They don't need to double anybody, anywhere. We aren't good enough to get deep dribble penetration outside of Diarra and if he does, he will get swatted or dump to a guy that can't catch. Our only prayer is trying to penetrate a little and kick, imo. We have to hit 4-5 3's per half to stay in this game, I think. To supplement that getting 3-4 transition baskets, and crashing the boards for 3-4 second chance putbacks per half is the formula. McGuirl, Diarra, and Sneed need to all be in double figures.