Cursed season anyone?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Cursed season anyone?

Post by learnin » February 18th, 2020, 11:24 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ ... li=BBnb7Kz

Roy Williams is experiencing the same type of cursed season that K-State is. The Tar Heels have lost 3 games out of 4 in the last second.
I watched quite a bit of their game last night and North Carolina was playing well. They have a very nice freshman who is averaging 19 points per game. I turned it off with about 5 minutes to go and North Carolina in control. Well, it happened to them again.

As Williams said: "You keep working hard or you crawl up into a fetal position and cry."

As responsible human beings, we roll up our sleeves and we continue working. But, there are times in everyone's life when try as you may, there is some force that says, "it ain't happening."

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 18th, 2020, 11:40 am

To me, a cursed season is 1 that was set up to succeed but then things largely out of your control, happen and your season takes a hit. Certain unexpected things like Injuries, not qualifying, personal leave for family related items, etc. But this team doesn't hasn't been affected much by those. This season took a hit largely because of a mostly controllable aspect... recruiting.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 18th, 2020, 11:44 am

Watching all the Cats' games, I still maintain they are the victims of simply bad luck a lot of time. The team is not championship material, but it is good enough for a .500 conference season with any luck at all.
Last edited by ToledoCat#2 on February 18th, 2020, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 18th, 2020, 12:14 pm

KsJoey wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:40 am
To me, a cursed season is 1 that was set up to succeed but then things largely out of your control, happen and your season takes a hit. Certain unexpected things like Injuries, not qualifying, personal leave for family related items, etc. But this team doesn't hasn't been affected much by those. This season took a hit largely because of a mostly controllable aspect... recruiting.
No argument from me that two poor recruiting seasons have led to this bad season. Likewise, North Carolina is not a very good team.
The point is that North Carolina is not that horrible. They lost 3 of their last 4 games in the last second.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 18th, 2020, 12:28 pm

we're not very talented
we don't play very smart
there appears to literally be no chemistry at all

beyond that, I would agree that we've been a little unlucky as well

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 18th, 2020, 12:34 pm

KsJoey wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:40 am
Recruiting and beginning every game in a hole. Agreed, the injury bug, like what Dean had, I consider cursed, but what I've watched is 90% on us, not some ridiculous curse. I've seen piss poor start after start, terrible shooting, lack of an inside game, and inconsistent passing. Guess it depends on your perspective. If a shot not going every now and then or a team having one good shooting game from the 3 pt line means your cursed, then I guess every team in the nation is cursed. Because that happens to everybody, does it not?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 18th, 2020, 12:38 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:44 am
Watching all the Cats' games, I still maintain they are the victims 9f simply bad luck a lot of time. The team is not championship material, but it is good enough for a .500 conference season with any luck at all.
I've watched most of them and I whole heartedly agree that they could be .500. Bad luck isn't the reason they aren't. No way, no how.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 18th, 2020, 12:39 pm

my takes on this year ...

1. xavier is having a less-than-expected year at three
2. freshmen are playing like it
3. d'gordon may be a four-star down the road
4. losing shane southwell and chester frazier was a big, big dual-negative
5. totally unsettled throughout at both guard spots
6. weber being away to usa basketball this summer is showing
7. team has no alpha dog
8. two scholarships wasted on love and shadd
9. carti never got beyond his mercurial persona
10. and worst of all - losing became a habit.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » February 18th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Recruiting suffered when Coach was on the hot seat after the Foster problems.

It is difficult for any coach to recruit good players when the players think the coach will be gone before they even get to the school.

As a blue collar program, it affects us more than a blue-blood program.
Last edited by Sir Ocelot on February 18th, 2020, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 18th, 2020, 2:33 pm

If your example with UNC is simply to say seasons like this can even happen to the blue bloods, I agree completely. If you’re comparing their reasons for having a down season to the Cats, there is no comparison.

UNC has dealt with injuries to significant contributing players, the Cats have not. The Tar Heels top recruit, Cole Anthony, #4 in the 2019 class and projected as an NBA lottery pick, going in the back end of the first 10 drafted, missed two months, from early December to early February. They have a senior 4 star starting shooting guard in Brandon Robinson who has also missed time. And another one of their recruits who was top 75, Anthony Harris hasn’t even played this year. Those are significant losses. The cats have not experienced anything like that.

And when you’ve won 3 NC’s gone to 5 Final Fours and won 9 conference championships in the last 15 years, its gives you a lot more forgiveness when you have a bad season once every 10 years or so, as they had a similar season in 2009-10.

You might say they have been cursed a bit because of their injuries, but the cats losses are just self inflicted. And while they have a couple close losses that could have gone the other way with a bounce here or there, they could have loss the Tulsa game had the ref not swallowed his whistle on the last play and had there been a few different bounces with unlv.

This is just not a very good team. It has decent parts, but unfortunately they don’t really seem to fit real well together and are missing a big part with a true leader.

No curse here for the cats, just some pretty poor basketball for too long of stretches nearly every game.