TCU Game Notes and Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: TCU Game Notes and Thread

Post by tmcats » February 16th, 2020, 9:38 am

just wait till next season. :mrgreen:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 16th, 2020, 9:40 am

Puffdad wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 5:40 am
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/b ... 06656.html

Notice the “make your own luck” comment by Weber and lots of other comments on luck by Weber.
Thanks for sharing Puff. I'm glad this is Weber's approach. Thank God he isn't addressing the team with the "Poor us, excuse making" mentality of some in here. I'd never, ever want my kid playing for someone like that.

As frustrated as I am with this team, I am one that believes we will be better than people expect next year. A tough, roll up the sleeves mentality from Weber gives me more encouragement that my feeling will come to fruition.

I hope our staff never, for one second, has suggested anything other than challenging each other, getting better, and don't you dare bring a feeling sorry for yourself attitude in this locker room.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 16th, 2020, 9:41 am

Horses_n_Hoops wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 11:23 pm
I'm going to start taking shots for every time you guys say "wait for next years class" or "next years class is amazing."

Hope you can make it to my funeral.
If I've become the voice of optimism on this board we are indeed in very dark days. 😂
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 16th, 2020, 9:53 am

In some ways, this has been a good coaching job by Weber this season. Hard to keep pushing and hold the team together when you are not getting wins.

Good comments to a team that can't get over the hump.
From the article:
Still, he’s ready for the Wildcats to benefit from some good fortune. He thinks he knows how that can happen, and that was the main message he shared with his team when this game was over.

“You make your own luck,” Weber said. “That’s the game and how you treat it and how you love it and how you play it and how you practice it. That is how you make your own luck. That is all we can do, just keep trying and battling and getting better and seeing if we can make some strides.”

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 16th, 2020, 10:00 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 9:41 am
Horses_n_Hoops wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 11:23 pm
I'm going to start taking shots for every time you guys say "wait for next years class" or "next years class is amazing."

Hope you can make it to my funeral.
If I've become the voice of optimism on this board we are indeed in very dark days. 😂
That's because too many are consumed with "poor us" and saying the Royals we're just full of luck. BS. Did they have some things bounce their way? Sure, but they also had a few bounce against them. They still lost 60 some games. The difference is.... They had talent and had a PLAN AND IDENTITY that was a winning mentality. Get ahead and turn it over to your bullpen. "Get ahead" is the key. That is a winner mentality.

I think our players think like some of our fans. Get ahead isn't their thought process. Instead it seems like it's, "let's see what happens", then before you know it, were down 8-10 and it's "well shucks, poor us." Bad luck follows misery.

If I was Bruce, I'd tell these guys "We are playing eight, 5 minute games every time we play. You need to win at least five of them. The most important are game 1 (the first 5 minutes), game 5 (first 5 minutes of 2nd half) , and game 8 (closing the game out) Win those 5 minute segments. Put emphasis on it and talk about it throughout the game. Will it change anything? I don't know, but it takes the focus off of the dismal play and "poor us".

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 16th, 2020, 10:07 am

The approach that was very successful for us was to play all one possession games.... win each possession ....1-0.... and if you lose one it’s OVER!! And if you win one it’s over! Play the next one possession each game!! Don’t dwell on it! Win the next one!! It is a MIND SET.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 16th, 2020, 10:52 am

wild@nite wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 10:00 am
gdgjr78 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 9:41 am

That's because too many are consumed with "poor us" and saying the Royals we're just full of luck. BS. Did they have some things bounce their way? Sure, but they also had a few bounce against them. They still lost 60 some games. The difference is.... They had talent and had a PLAN AND IDENTITY that was a winning mentality. Get ahead and turn it over to your bullpen. "Get ahead" is the key. That is a winner mentality.

I think our players think like some of our fans. Get ahead isn't their thought process. Instead it seems like it's, "let's see what happens", then before you know it, were down 8-10 and it's "well shucks, poor us." Bad luck follows misery.

If I was Bruce, I'd tell these guys "We are playing eight, 5 minute games every time we play. You need to win at least five of them. The most important are game 1 (the first 5 minutes), game 5 (first 5 minutes of 2nd half) , and game 8 (closing the game out) Win those 5 minute segments. Put emphasis on it and talk about it throughout the game. Will it change anything? I don't know, but it takes the focus off of the dismal play and "poor us".
I'm pretty sure that is what Weber does alreay as he has talked about winning 4 minute segments of various games.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 16th, 2020, 11:27 am

KSU basketball fans = KU football fans.

Sad, indeed.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » February 16th, 2020, 11:48 am

My impression of this team is they panic (trying too hard?) the last 5 minutes of most games. MO is to start slow, catch up then wilt at the end. There simply isn’t the leader to bring the ball down, set the play and begin the execution. We seem to become very nervous/disorganized, then the AAU mentality kicks in. We simply cannot close.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 16th, 2020, 12:29 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 11:27 am
KSU basketball fans = KU football fans.

Sad, indeed.
No. KU football fans know they suck and don't use excuses of bad luck as the reasons why. It's a shameful approach to building a winner to use excuses to mask inefficiencies. Attack the weaknesses. That's how you get better.

Thankfully, as much I think BW needs to change his offensive approach, he's intelligent enough to keep expecting the "nose to the grindstone" attitude. I applaud him for that. That will serve the freshmen on this team well. That's leadership.