This year is inexcusable

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: This year is inexcusable

Post by learnin » February 13th, 2020, 11:05 am

They tried to clean the game up about 3-4 years ago. They were going to make it less physical, but that was short lived. Now, the game is even more physical than it was before as every team tries to get an advantage by being physical. The game is ugly and it's not just Kansas State that is ugly.
Consider KU. Where are the old KU offensive juggernauts? Do you remember when KU would easily put up 90 points per game? Their offense, generally, looked like a well oiled machine. Last night, at West Virginia, KU had 21 points with under one minute to go in the first half. They looked ugly, but Self has stepped up their defense. The sad fact of the matter is that you step up defense by becoming more physical.

Yes, they tried to clean the game up, but the fans didn't like the whistles. "Let em' play". That was the battle cry across the nation. And this is what we are faced with. I'm about to give up on the game I love. It's just too ugly any more and the refs are reduced to baby sitters where they let six fouls go by and then call the 7th just so it doesn't become a tag team match. Every rebound that is pulled down is challenged by six hands flailing at the rebounder. Dok, for KU, is the best big man in the nation and he looked like a bumbling idiot last night at Morgantown.

And for all the K-State fans, here and Twitter, who love to praise other programs, and other coaches, while they love to bash the ugly ball of K-State and their coach, consider that Bob Huggins has done more to ugly the game up than any coach across the nation. Why? Because he has to compete with the blue bloods who have bought players for years and have had a distinct advantage over all other programs. This is what monopoly does to all sphere's of life.

I think the only answer is to go to the 24 second shot clock like the NBA. At least, the physicality can only go on for about 20 seconds per possession and the game will be more fluid.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » February 13th, 2020, 11:22 am

learnin wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 11:05 am
I think the only answer is to go to the 24 second shot clock like the NBA. At least, the physicality can only go on for about 20 seconds per possession and the game will be more fluid.
I think the shot clock got us more to this point than anything. a shorter clock won't help.

if you think the mugging going on in college is 'something' have you been watching the pros?

consider this: without a shot clock, a team could milk several fouls on a posession. unless the defense plays smarter. not necessarily harder.

smarter. and those teams that could maintain composure, focus, discipline? they'll consistently do well.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 13th, 2020, 1:34 pm

DeereCatFan wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 6:18 am
Just stating my opinion but I personally think player development under Weber is lacking. That is the point I was trying to make. I see some regression in players and read comments on here about it and agree. And yes my GUT feeling is he would have been a much better player with the coaches at KU. I have no proof of that though correct. I am certainly glad he didnt go there as I despise the beaks as much as the next guy. I think Dean picked up some of Webers tentativeness and sometimes couldn't get him to shoot. Lack of confidence whatever. His talents just seemed a bit wasted. I'm not a basketball guru but enjoy to watch it and certainly cheer for the Cats when I'm able to watch.

I'm not saying fire Weber at all, because not sure who they would get. Just saying I am a little indifferent on whether he stays or goes. He'll probably make me eat my words in a year or 2. He has before.
I do agree that if he were able to play at KU and not get over recruited, he would have developed into a higher draft pick. Both from KU's notoriety, and because the coaches would have been able to develop bigs better. I was just saying that he probably wouldn't have seen much of the floor at KU given the players around him, both before him, and after him. Mitch Lightfoot was a 4* and he doesn't see the floor much (although he is RS this year), so it will be interesting to see what his professional career looks like.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 13th, 2020, 2:45 pm

KITNooga wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 11:22 am
learnin wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 11:05 am
I think the shot clock got us more to this point than anything. a shorter clock won't help.

if you think the mugging going on in college is 'something' have you been watching the pros?

consider this: without a shot clock, a team could milk several fouls on a posession. unless the defense plays smarter. not necessarily harder.

smarter. and those teams that could maintain composure, focus, discipline? they'll consistently do well.

Let's go back to no shot clock so we can have two or three minutes of wrestling.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Nobody wants to guard that long. The shorter the shot clock the easier it is on the defense. Or the wrestling.

Ksustephens

Post by Ksustephens » February 13th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Was talking to a coach the other day of a highly ranked kansas team with like 3 d1 players. Basically he didn’t even get contacted - it’s the summer AAU coach - and basically the shoe companies bagmen drop the bags of cash on the doorstep of the recruit - they all live in section 8 housing and carry fancy iPhones beats headphones, nice clothes, drive decent cars, etc. This particular kid is part of Mo Can spice who is ran by Nike and Kevin Durant and lo and behold all schools recruiting him are Nike schools. Such a cesspool

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 13th, 2020, 7:40 pm

I'll confess I didn't read the thread, so apologies up front.

This season is forgivable:

1. 2 Big XII titles
2. 1 Elite Eight
3. Runs a clean program fans can be proud of.
4. Bruce is one of the nicest most generous people you'll ever meet.

*SIGH*

With that said this season has been crushingly disappointing, and stirs up very disturbing ghosts that makes fans understandably anxious,

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 13th, 2020, 9:43 pm

Mostly agree with your viewpoint, WWC.

I'll take clean over winning at all costs any day of the week.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 13th, 2020, 10:18 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 9:43 pm
Mostly agree with your viewpoint, WWC.

I'll take clean over winning at all costs any day of the week.
I appreciate the clean program as well and if KSU had just won in the 1st rd of the years with the shared conf championships I would feel very different. I'm not calling for Weber to be fired I'm just tired of the rollercoaster AND the faceplants in the ncaa tourney. I just want some consistency, PLEASE!!!
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 13th, 2020, 11:36 pm

I hear ya man....I hear ya. Apparently it is a luxury to not have to watch the team crater every three or four years.