This year is inexcusable

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Re: This year is inexcusable

Post by Puffdad » February 12th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Here’s what I know about that Highway. Self picks kids he wants to recruit and then his assistants are supposed to set up the contacts. And each state is divided up by states to his assistants to get the process started. And he was livid that his assistant didn’t get in early enough. And he remains livid to this day.

And yes Dean played AAU and his recruiting intensified during that summer after his junior year after nearly winning a couple tournaments in Dallas and Las Vegas with all Kansas kids. Dean signed early right before several blue bloods were officially recruiting him. But they were ready. He was no surprise.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » February 12th, 2020, 8:44 pm

What has any fan's opinion have to do with this teams performance.

The "force" works in mysterious ways though, so I've been told, so maybe we fans have some unfathomable influence .

I expected a crappy season but not this crappy - did my low expectations preordain a worse outcome, yeah probably since I may have some latent "force" LOL

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 12th, 2020, 10:06 pm

I've stayed off the board all season as I was pretty concerned early on (saw some really concerning things early in the season against weaker opponents). Just decided to stay away. I do watch the games, but don't comment on here (or anywhere). Honestly, I'm apathetic. I'm not trying to pile on. Just making a rare appearance on the season. When the team is this bad, there's not a lot of bright spots to be positive about. I think we have some athletic younger players with potential. That's about all I have for positivity.
EMAW

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 12th, 2020, 10:20 pm

I still ENJOY watching KSU BB teams play. That's the whole purpose for me. Frustrated? Yep. Quitting on team? Nope!

My biggest concern is that this year's frosh will get disillusioned and transfer before next year's highly ranked recruits get here.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 13th, 2020, 12:48 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:20 pm
I still ENJOY watching KSU BB teams play. That's the whole purpose for me. Frustrated? Yep. Quitting on team? Nope!

My biggest concern is that this year's frosh will get disillusioned and transfer before next year's highly ranked recruits get here.
Good points, but I have not enjoyed watching this team much. Poor shooting, lazy passes, and poor starts isn't very enjoyable. I'll keep watching, but enjoyable it isn't, imo.

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » February 13th, 2020, 6:18 am

AJcat7755 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 4:43 pm
learnin wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:31 pm
2. I think your thinking that Dean Wade could have been so much more had he gone to a blueblood program is nothing more than a wild guess.
First of all, how many blue blood programs offered? It is reported that Self, after he committed to K-State, was steamed his coaches never got
on Dean's bandwagon. Secondly, if he had gone to a blueblood, he might have found himself riding the bench, especially if he had been reluctant
to shoot much as he was when he came here. Keep in mind, blue bloods have a plethora of talent sitting on the bench and they're eager to put up
shots. We have no way of knowing what might have taken place if...……..
Wade isn't flashy, wasn't a 5*, and is from KS. Blue blood fans would have eat him up and spit him out as they root to get the next one and done MCDAA in there to replace him.

Which school that did offer Wade would he have developed into a higher draft pick?

Boise State, Creighton, Evansville, Iowa, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon State, South Dakota, TCU, UTEP, Vandy, Washington State, Wichita State

Maybe Oklahoma, due to some recent history of Griffins and Osby, but they aren't a blue blood. Wichita State could have gone farther in the tournament with Wade during their run, so maybe his stock rises there as a result of the visibility. Big white guy at Iowa, seems to fit their demographics, but they aren't known for 1st round picks.

As for KU, they signed Diallo (5*), Bragg (5*) and Vick (4*) in their 2015 class. Now looking back, they missed on some of those, but at the time, who was KU going to not sign to get a 3* in Wade? Keep in mind, Cliff Alexander (5*) was already on the team the year prior at the PF position. Wade going to KU probably means they don't go after Lightfoot in 2016, but in 2017, Wade would be over recruited with Preston and De Sousa. We know what happened with them, but it just shows how quickly players can get over recruited.
Just stating my opinion but I personally think player development under Weber is lacking. That is the point I was trying to make. I see some regression in players and read comments on here about it and agree. And yes my GUT feeling is he would have been a much better player with the coaches at KU. I have no proof of that though correct. I am certainly glad he didnt go there as I despise the beaks as much as the next guy. I think Dean picked up some of Webers tentativeness and sometimes couldn't get him to shoot. Lack of confidence whatever. His talents just seemed a bit wasted. I'm not a basketball guru but enjoy to watch it and certainly cheer for the Cats when I'm able to watch.

I'm not saying fire Weber at all, because not sure who they would get. Just saying I am a little indifferent on whether he stays or goes. He'll probably make me eat my words in a year or 2. He has before.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 13th, 2020, 9:17 am

It does seem to me that the huge emphasis on defense takes away from our offensive performance. It also seems that we don't shoot with enough freedom and confidence. The shooting doesn't seem to get better for most players while here. Not sure this is true but just my impressions.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » February 13th, 2020, 9:39 am

KsJoey wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:01 am
Our defense is the only thing that has kept us in games. It's been respectable a lot of the time. It also shows the Cats are putting in good effort.. but that doesn't translate to good or even average offense. In past years, I would place a lot of the blame at Webers feet for having an offense that doesn't fit the players he has. But I don't think that's the issue this year. Besides the turnover prone and offense stalling Diarra, these guys just aren't natural scorers.

Only plus side is that next year we have incoming guards that are natural scorers. It still may not show up in win column next year, but as long as 2021 is a solid recruiting class, it'll start showing up after that. Too many recruiting whifs are the reason this team is so bad right now.
Our defense was atrocious against a bad team.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 13th, 2020, 10:48 am

bigpurpleman wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 9:39 am
KsJoey wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:01 am
Our defense is the only thing that has kept us in games. It's been respectable a lot of the time. It also shows the Cats are putting in good effort.. but that doesn't translate to good or even average offense. In past years, I would place a lot of the blame at Webers feet for having an offense that doesn't fit the players he has. But I don't think that's the issue this year. Besides the turnover prone and offense stalling Diarra, these guys just aren't natural scorers.

Only plus side is that next year we have incoming guards that are natural scorers. It still may not show up in win column next year, but as long as 2021 is a solid recruiting class, it'll start showing up after that. Too many recruiting whifs are the reason this team is so bad right now.
Our defense was atrocious against a bad team.
Agreed 100%. Apparently Joey's idea quality defense and ours aren't in alignment.
EMAW

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 13th, 2020, 10:53 am

DeereCatFan wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 6:18 am
AJcat7755 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Wade isn't flashy, wasn't a 5*, and is from KS. Blue blood fans would have eat him up and spit him out as they root to get the next one and done MCDAA in there to replace him.

Which school that did offer Wade would he have developed into a higher draft pick?

Boise State, Creighton, Evansville, Iowa, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon State, South Dakota, TCU, UTEP, Vandy, Washington State, Wichita State

Maybe Oklahoma, due to some recent history of Griffins and Osby, but they aren't a blue blood. Wichita State could have gone farther in the tournament with Wade during their run, so maybe his stock rises there as a result of the visibility. Big white guy at Iowa, seems to fit their demographics, but they aren't known for 1st round picks.

As for KU, they signed Diallo (5*), Bragg (5*) and Vick (4*) in their 2015 class. Now looking back, they missed on some of those, but at the time, who was KU going to not sign to get a 3* in Wade? Keep in mind, Cliff Alexander (5*) was already on the team the year prior at the PF position. Wade going to KU probably means they don't go after Lightfoot in 2016, but in 2017, Wade would be over recruited with Preston and De Sousa. We know what happened with them, but it just shows how quickly players can get over recruited.
Just stating my opinion but I personally think player development under Weber is lacking. That is the point I was trying to make. I see some regression in players and read comments on here about it and agree. And yes my GUT feeling is he would have been a much better player with the coaches at KU. I have no proof of that though correct. I am certainly glad he didnt go there as I despise the beaks as much as the next guy. I think Dean picked up some of Webers tentativeness and sometimes couldn't get him to shoot. Lack of confidence whatever. His talents just seemed a bit wasted. I'm not a basketball guru but enjoy to watch it and certainly cheer for the Cats when I'm able to watch.

I'm not saying fire Weber at all, because not sure who they would get. Just saying I am a little indifferent on whether he stays or goes. He'll probably make me eat my words in a year or 2. He has before.
Dean Wade was one of the most fundamentally sound, well coached high profile HS kids I have ever seen in college basketball (almost a throwback '80's type player). Most kids of his skill level don't get the quality coaching and develop fundamentals because their talent level is so much better than the other players around them, they don't need to be as fundamentally sound to succeed in HS, so they don't get it then. Had it not been for his good foundation, I have serious doubts he would have gotten that development under Weber. JMHO.
EMAW