OSU Game Preview and Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
catl

Re: OSU Game Preview and Thread

Post by catl » February 11th, 2020, 11:17 pm

This team is really bad on offense and extremely hard to watch. Maybe the worst offensive team since pre-Huggins. Cats have never been an offensive juggernaut, but this team is awful

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » February 11th, 2020, 11:19 pm

Piedmontcat wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 11:16 pm
We got good shots all night. This team just can’t shoot.

Our experienced guys played OK (not great, but OK), but the 3 Freshmen have hit the wall and we got nothing from them.
So your statement implies that they were good at some point. I don’t know if any of these freshman will ever be more than role players.

Ksustephens

Post by Ksustephens » February 11th, 2020, 11:33 pm

KState now is the “easy win” on everyone’s schedule - from first to worst in one year...has that even happened to a team in the history of Big 12?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 11th, 2020, 11:52 pm

Ksustephens wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 11:33 pm
KState now is the “easy win” on everyone’s schedule - from first to worst in one year...has that even happened to a team in the history of Big 12?
Well seeing how ku has owned most of those titles I’m going with no.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 12th, 2020, 2:48 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 11:02 pm
LoL...Waters drains a three as the buzzer sounds....dagger!
You may not believe this, but I laughed out loud so half the gym could hear when Waters hit that shot at the shot clock buzzer. There’s a black cloud hanging over this team.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » February 12th, 2020, 4:41 am

If Carti isn't unconscious from 3, there's no O. As noted, the offense generated what looked to be a lot of good shots.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 12th, 2020, 9:53 am

https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/ ... 9_book.PDF
Interesting stats.
1. 12 for 22 from the free throw line at home is a big part of the loss. (I would like to see one player shooting some free throws during warm ups. If I was Weber I would make it a requirement that everyone of the guys getting playing time make some during warm ups. They spend the entire session shooting threes and dunks. Then when they get to the line where feel and rhythm are required, they fire blanks.)

2, OSU 22 for 43 from the field. KSU 20 for 56. Sneed again 3 for 11. As much as I like Sneed, his attrocious shooting during Big 12 play is a major reason we are not winning a few of these. Freshmen were a combined 1 for 10 from the field. Need to get more than that from them. As a team we have to shoot better.

3, I really like what Sloan did last night. For the first time he actually got up on a ball handler and pressured him. I hope he keeps doing that. Still need him to be able to knock down a few outside shots and he is not doing that presently.

4, D Gordon is not strong enough to finish inside. Going to take physical development plus just more experience against Big 12 level players.

Finally, no excuse for us losing but OSU is a better team since Likekele recovered from mono a couple of games ago. I watched them take Baylor to the buzzer in Waco and so was not surprised to see a much better team than their record indicated.

This is some commentary from an OSU sports reporter regarding Likekeles mono that he came down with after OSU started 7 and 0. Written after they started the Big 12 season 0 and 7.

The loss of Likekele, which coincided with a far more difficult stretch of games than the first seven, not only cost OSU it’s best defender, it left them without their only true point guard on the roster.

While Likekele may be back on the court, no one could watch him perform in the last two games and say he looks like the guy who was slashing and dishing against teams before he got sick.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 12th, 2020, 10:13 am

Before I comment on the game, I have to mention how profoundly sorry I am for our players. They haven't quit and they work very hard. They fight right to the buzzer and can't seem to catch a break when they need one.

I qualify my following thoughts right off the bat. I don't wish to read the usual, "don't make excuses". Without a doubt, this is not a good team so I don't need anyone pointing that out. As puffdad noted, on another thread, this team simply could not overcome losing three 1,000 plus scorers. That's a big blow for any program. I thought one of our newcomers, at the least, would step up and be a double digit scorer, but it ain't happening.

1. The college game is becoming more and more physical. As a result, the game is becoming more and more ugly. Many pundits have noted how down basketball is this year. They want to blame it on the NCAA's archaic rules of not paying players. But, the ugliness is due to the physicality of the game. The game, last night, was a wrestling match from the git go. It was clear to me that Oklahoma State, not being able to compete, has chosen to become very physical to muddy up the game. #14, for Oklahoma State, was so physical, WWE grapplers would have been jealous. From the tip, he locked arms with Mak and they were pushing each other around that I was expecting a pile driver any second. Mak got the worse of it and was promptly sent to the bench with two fouls. Their # 14 should have been fouled out of the game. One time, in the first half, Mak pulled down a rebound with no one around and #14 came across both his arms with a karate chop that would make Chuck Norris proud. No whistle. This is not to knock the refs as they gave us ample opportunities, early in second half, to get back into the game. This is to say that the game is way too physical and ugly. It wasn't much better out on the perimeter. Every time someone takes off, they shove their defender with two hands. Every time some one tries to get around a screen, they manhandle someone or get manhandled. In a game, like this, it's very surprising to me that anyone can shoot the ball at a good percentage. How can you wrestle for 20 seconds and then shoot well when you finally find yourself able to break loose? This affects freshmen more than anyone because they're not used to this kind of physicality when they get into College.

2. Yes, this team is offensively challenged. They're not a good team, but there's not that big of a difference between bad and good, especially this year. If this team wasn't competitive and within a few possessions almost every game, I would be willing to just dismiss them as being terrible. Try as I may, however, I cannot explain the phenomena I've witnessed this year in almost every game. I speak of this team's ability to come back time and time again only to have something happen that keeps them from getting over the hump. I'm willing to bet that this team has come back from double digit deficits to get within one possession and not get over the hump fifty times this year. It happened five or six times last night. They would be down 8-9-10 points and come back to within 1-2 or 3 points. During the comebacks, they play decent basketball. They force turnovers, get defensive stops, and knock down shots. Then, when they are about to take the lead, something happens. Xavier misses a dunk and they end up with a fast break on the other end. Waters throws in a 3 as the shot clock buzzer. We miss two wide open three's when we just hit two in a row to pull within a possession. The other team, having missed 3's or not having gotten any open looks, suddenly blows hot from three just as we're about to take the lead. A ref misses a foul when one of our players drives for a lay up. We step up to the foul line and hit 4 in a row to come back, then when we're ready to tie, we miss. There simply has been countless times when this team plays very good ball and charges back to take the game over only to have some series of events take place that keeps them at bay. I know I'm despised for suggesting this but, sometimes, it's not in the cards. Again, if this team simply wasn't competitive; if this team hardly ever fought back to within a possession, or two, during crunch time; if this team was never in a position to win if a shot here went in or a bounce there would have gone differently so that victory could have happened, I could just walk away and say, "they're horrible". It would be much easier if I could.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 12th, 2020, 10:15 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:53 am
https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/ ... 9_book.PDF
Interesting stats.
1. 12 for 22 from the free throw line at home is a big part of the loss. (I would like to see one player shooting some free throws during warm ups. If I was Weber I would make it a requirement that everyone of the guys getting playing time make some during warm ups. They spend the entire session shooting threes and dunks. Then when they get to the line where feel and rhythm are required, they fire blanks.)

2, OSU 22 for 43 from the field. KSU 20 for 56. Sneed again 3 for 11. As much as I like Sneed, his attrocious shooting during Big 12 play is a major reason we are not winning a few of these. Freshmen were a combined 1 for 10 from the field. Need to get more than that from them. As a team we have to shoot better.

3, I really like what Sloan did last night. For the first time he actually got up on a ball handler and pressured him. I hope he keeps doing that. Still need him to be able to knock down a few outside shots and he is not doing that presently.

4, D Gordon is not strong enough to finish inside. Going to take physical development plus just more experience against Big 12 level players.

Finally, no excuse for us losing but OSU is a better team since Likekele recovered from mono a couple of games ago. I watched them take Baylor to the buzzer in Waco and so was not surprised to see a much better team than their record indicated.

This is some commentary from an OSU sports reporter regarding Likekeles mono that he came down with after OSU started 7 and 0. Written after they started the Big 12 season 0 and 7.

The loss of Likekele, which coincided with a far more difficult stretch of games than the first seven, not only cost OSU it’s best defender, it left them without their only true point guard on the roster.

While Likekele may be back on the court, no one could watch him perform in the last two games and say he looks like the guy who was slashing and dishing against teams before he got sick.
Yes, I've watched Oklahoma State play their last 2 games and I knew this was not going to be easy.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 12th, 2020, 10:47 am

the posts above are full of insightful comments. i said earlier this team has seemingly lost its moxie, mojo, whatever you want to call it. and yes, the three freshmen have hit a wall. that's not unusual. what they need to hit, and hard, is the weight room. unfortunately, xavier is just having an awful senior season. and carti can't carry the team alone, he needs help. bright spot - the season is coming to a close and help is on the way.
Why is there something rather than nothing?