So what do we think of Fran's comments

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Gorhoops

Re: So what do we think of Fran's comments

Post by Gorhoops » February 5th, 2020, 10:58 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 9:31 am
I hope that those critical of Carti also remember some of the criticism about Kam and Barry Brown during the junior year. Selfish players out to get their own, etc.
I talked to another poster about that criticism of those two and suggested the narrative won't change til we win more games. And it didn't til we were into the Big 12 race their junior year and then criticism of Brown came around. Criticism of Stokes continued til about half way through the Big 12 season his senior year. The posts are all there for those who want to search for them.

Diarra is in the same spot. Team is losing and as the highest usage player he catches the most blame. Body language is studied and used as proof he doesn't care every time he makes a bad pass or takes a shot that is forced. (If it was at the end of the shot clock, it is because he dribbled the ball out top til the shot clock ran out, never because a team mate didn't get open or passed up a better shot.)

An example of this: Remember all the comments about Stokes smiling after the over threw a lob pass. So bad execution must be explained away by attitude, facial expression, lack of team leadership, playing to go pro, etc.

And it will continue with Carti til we start winning more.

No question things really get nit-picked when you aren't winning games. When things aren't going well we start to look at every little crumble of information and dissect it, looking for reasons.

When I was able to be front row and in the tunnel during the Tulsa game, it was actually fun watching Carti interact with people. He was talking to older fans in the tunnel, talking to people on the front row, heck I even told him to get in that corner and look for his shot because it was his spot and he was on fire and he looked at me and smiled and shook his head. But he was also in the lockerroom a good bit of the time when the rest of the team was warming up, went in early, came out late, and sometimes that kind of stuff makes people think you are doing your own thing and not what is expected of the entire team. Honestly, he acted more like you would see an NBA player act as they prepared themselves for a game.

Body language is ridiculed more when things don't go well, simple as that. I am not sure I see bad attitude body language from Carti as much as I see frustration body language from him a lot of times.

To me there is no comparison to Foster. Carti is still playing hard and trying, in my opinion and that is why Fran's insistence was over the top.

But if you are going to ask me what the biggest issues with this team are, I am not going to get to a lack of commitment from Carti Diarra until down the list a ways. We can't shoot the ball. That is the biggest issue, in my opinion. We are overall just sloppy with the ball, and that includes but is not limited to Carti. We have done a poor job of closing out games.

This team has a multitude of issues, only some of which are with Carti.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 5th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 10:58 am

But if you are going to ask me what the biggest issues with this team are, I am not going to get to a lack of commitment from Carti Diarra until down the list a ways. We can't shoot the ball. That is the biggest issue, in my opinion. We are overall just sloppy with the ball, and that includes but is not limited to Carti. We have done a poor job of closing out games.

This team has a multitude of issues, only some of which are with Carti.
You nailed it. Don't turn it over and shoot a little better. Defense is not as good as it was last year but still good enough to win.

Second half of the Big 12 season includes 4 games against ISU and OSU. Nothing guaranteed but a chance to win a few more games.

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » February 6th, 2020, 10:22 am

bigpurpleman wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 10:12 am
Not sure about his attitude, I've just never been impressed with his ability. I keep hearing he is so athletic, but he always looked to me to be very awkward out on the court. To me, he is no leader and certainly not a difference maker.
Cardier at best is a role player. I could say the same for all the returning starters or those who logged considerable minutes last season. We saw or should have seen this coming after Barry Brown.

In fairness I question who would have taken up the mantle of leader other than Barry Brown for the past few seasons. Dean Wade did not show a comfort level as being a vocal leader, and Kamau Stokes I don't believe had the full confidence of the team. Diarra did not show improvement as a player from last year, but neither did the others. Throwing him in an unwanted role to be leader is unfair.

If there is a freshman willing to take up the mantle of leader, no one whether player or coach should have an issue. This topic is no different than the focus just a few weeks ago, after the KU brawl. If this is all we can focus on, what does that say about the season? Maybe the media and fans should consider that forcing the role on the kid is causing the issues with Cartier.
Last edited by Jax on February 6th, 2020, 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

danvet82

Pick 'Em

Post by danvet82 » February 6th, 2020, 10:31 am

The sad thing is, xtra, that ISU and OSU are thinking the same about the opportunity to play us.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 6th, 2020, 11:55 am

danvet82 wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 10:31 am
The sad thing is, xtra, that ISU and OSU are thinking the same about the opportunity to play us.
That is absolutely true. However, I have watched both play and unless they have one of those nights shooting threes like ISU did last year at Bramlage, we are better than they are. But better does not always mean you win.

Wildwilly73

Post by Wildwilly73 » February 7th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Jax wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 10:22 am
bigpurpleman wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 10:12 am
Not sure about his attitude, I've just never been impressed with his ability. I keep hearing he is so athletic, but he always looked to me to be very awkward out on the court. To me, he is no leader and certainly not a difference maker.
Cardier at best is a role player. I could say the same for all the returning starters or those who logged considerable minutes last season. We saw or should have seen this coming after Barry Brown.

In fairness I question who would have taken up the mantle of leader other than Barry Brown for the past few seasons. Dean Wade did not show a comfort level as being a vocal leader, and Kamau Stokes I don't believe had the full confidence of the team. Diarra did not show improvement as a player from last year, but neither did the others. Throwing him in an unwanted role to be leader is unfair.

If there is a freshman willing to take up the mantle of leader, no one whether player or coach should have an issue. This topic is no different than the focus just a few weeks ago, after the KU brawl. If this is all we can focus on, what does that say about the season? Maybe the media and fans should consider that forcing the role on the kid is causing the issues with Cartier.
Jax you are exactly right! Carti in my mind played better when he wasn't under pressure to lead. I think that he was happy to come into games and just "play".

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 9th, 2020, 10:48 am

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 9th, 2020, 11:19 am

It's not really a commentator's job to speculate what's in a player's mind.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Diarra had an interview back in October where he said that to be able to go pro, he needs to be on a winning team . He is saying the same thing now. Keep improving his game but also needs to win.
To do that, he needs others on the team to make shots and stop turning it over just like he needs to keep improving on those two aspects of his game. Can't have Sneed come out and miss a guarded three on the first possession of the game and then throw it away on the next three possessions like he did against ISU.
If you compare how Diarra played against UNLV and how he is playing now, it is night and day different. We will be a good team if he is back next year. If he is not back, we may struggle unless one of the freshman steps up as a playmaker.

mustang

Post by mustang » February 9th, 2020, 8:47 pm

He’s an articulate guy, well spoken and a good rep for KSU