ISU Game Thread and Notes

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: ISU Game Thread and Notes

Post by xtrawildcat » February 9th, 2020, 9:46 am

Very disappointing game. That makes two games where Solomon Young had a career game against us. Both losses. We need to get a little more production from our freshmen if we are going to win more. Need D Gordon to get a little stronger and more experienced so he makes those follow shots he is missing now. He is a very quick player but not explosive with the jump.
And need Sneed to either make more of his threes or don't take as many.
Final stats.
https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/ ... 3_book.PDF

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » February 9th, 2020, 9:46 am

wild@nite wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 2:41 am
Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:24 am

I guess it was dense sandwiches for dinner night. Again, never said a post game isn't important, that you can't win with one, etc. What I said is that you can win without one. And, there are plenty of examples beyond the Warriors.

Back to the original point - there is essentially zero potential for consistent post play/production on the offensive side of the ball with this team. Bruce can/should try a small ball lineup for most of a game.
I'm all ears on "plenty of examples". Especially, when you factor in we shoot like a team of Hellen Keller's. Yes, you can win without posts, but the teams that do have scorers. Guys that can create. I think that's the point we're trying to make. No need for the "dense" BS. Just talking sensiblly. Sorry, if that's too much.
If you repeatedly misconstrue something I said, I'm going to call you dense.

As for other examples, there are plenty. Virginia won the title last year with minimal post game while playing a four-guard lineup. They beat Texas Tech in the title game, who had rim protectors inside, but not much offensive punch. Villanova won the title in 2016 with a guard-dominated lineup. That's just off the top of my head.

Mawien and Stockard are combining to shoot under 50% from 2-point range. Might as well let our players chuck up 3s if they can't hit 50%. Sneed has definitely struggled with his shot in Big 12 play, but Diarra, McGuirl, D. Gordon & Murphy are all above 33%, which - as bizarre as it sounds to say for our not-so-stellar-shooting team - the math works out to take more 3s. If you consider the overall inability of our guards to consistently finish at the rim coupled with their overall low 2-point FG percentages, taking more 3s makes even more sense.

Again, the overall message to Bruce is simply to try something - anything - different other than just tweaking the starting lineup.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 9th, 2020, 10:08 am

wash, rinse, repeat. :|
Why is there something rather than nothing?

WIldWIllieCat
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 9th, 2020, 10:08 am

Sure didn't look to me like that team ever thought they could win.

I've seen teams like this before, that literally can't play well until they're down big and the pressure is off because the game is already hopelessly out of hand.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 9th, 2020, 11:23 am

Basketball games are determined by putting the ball in the hoop -- shooters.

KSU simply need more shooters. Scorers put points in from the inside. Shooters put points in from the outside. That's why we need shooters.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 9th, 2020, 12:02 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:23 am
Basketball games are determined by putting the ball in the hoop -- shooters.

KSU simply need more shooters. Scorers put points in from the inside. Shooters put points in from the outside. That's why we need shooters.
Bingo. Just get this damn season over with. It's worse than Wooly basketball.

Kid In the Hall

Post by Kid In the Hall » February 9th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Back when Wooly was coaching, we had 16 game league seasons. He went 6-10 four times and 4-12 twice. This team could finish with four (or fewer) league wins, which would make it the worst K-State team since Asbury went 2-14 in the 1999-2000 season. Bruce's worst year (so far) was 5-13 in 2015-16.

ksustars754

Post by ksustars754 » February 9th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:17 pm
Back when Wooly was coaching, we had 16 game league seasons. He went 6-10 four times and 4-12 twice. This team could finish with four (or fewer) league wins, which would make it the worst K-State team since Asbury went 2-14 in the 1999-2000 season. Bruce's worst year (so far) was 5-13 in 2015-16.
I really don’t think people grasp the magnitude of this sort of information. This is legitimately one of the worst teams from a non 1-bid league in the entire nation. It’s not ok and it’s not something to just wash away and say “well we’ve got good recruits next year.”

LincolnLarry

Post by LincolnLarry » February 9th, 2020, 1:05 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:52 pm
bhoovy wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Pretty much agree with everything except that ISU never felt threatened. I think they did but each time just made plays we haven’t this year.

And now we play OSU Tuesday to see who will be the cellar dweller. I really thought these days were over. Can remember going to the big 12 tournament being the 10 and 11 seed just hoping I could see the cats play more than that opening day game. More times than not I did not. Nothing in me expects more than one game in it this year either.

From champs to last. Good programs just don’t do that. I thought we had become a good program but we’re just not there yet.
Good programs are consistently good, the only thing we are consistent about is being inconsistent. This staff must stop giving out scholarships to players that shouldn't be playing at this level of basketball.
Bruce has never been consistently good. He’s a feast or famine coach, and typically eats well when someone else has done the grocery shopping for him.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 9th, 2020, 1:20 pm

meh....can't say I buy that second part "Lincoln Larry", his deepest run in the NCAA tourney at K-State was with a team of his own recruiting as well as one of his two Big XII titles

feast or famine? maybe