bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: ISU Game Thread and Notes

Post by bhoovy » February 8th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:17 pm
wild@nite wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Well, in the game of basketball, you have to have an inside game. You have to enter it in to have success. It collapses defenses and opens up thefloor. t's extremely stressful on guards who don't have a reliable big that can catch the ball, let alone score it. Don't blame our guards. Blame the staff. This is a damn joke.
Actually, you don't (see Golden State Warriors). Regardless, this team isn't equipped to have an inside/out game because our two upperclassmen bigs can't consistently catch the ball/not turn it over. At this point, Bruce should really just go small ball with Sneed at the 4 and rotate Murphy/Gordon at the 5 (with spot subbing for Sneed at the 4). Mawien and Stockard should get no more than 10 minutes a game.

What do we have to lose? We've seen what happens when we try and play a more traditional lineup.
So you’re using a team that’s been in the nba finals the last 5 years, winning 3 of them? We’ll get back to me when Diarra transforms into Steph Curry, Sneed transforms into Clay Thompson and Mawien transforms into Kevin Durant. I’m mean they’re only 3 of best players and shooters in the NBA. And while Durant may not be your traditional post player, he’s still at least 6’9”. And with those 3 they were able to put pretty much anyone into the low post and they would be effective with all the attention those other 3 were released receiving.

Having a post game in college basketball is important. Check Baylor, Gonzaga, ku, San Diego St and Louisville. They all have both guard play and post play. And those 5 are only the current top 5 teams in the country. So I think it’s important.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 8th, 2020, 10:43 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:24 pm
Just a pathetic performance tonight. ISU NEVER felt threatened and was just playing with KSU. I could say more but it will just get me in trouble. I'm disgusted with what I saw tonight in Ames.
Pretty much agree with everything except that ISU never felt threatened. I think they did but each time just made plays we haven’t this year.

And now we play OSU Tuesday to see who will be the cellar dweller. I really thought these days were over. Can remember going to the big 12 tournament being the 10 and 11 seed just hoping I could see the cats play more than that opening day game. More times than not I did not. Nothing in me expects more than one game in it this year either.

From champs to last. Good programs just don’t do that. I thought we had become a good program but we’re just not there yet.

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » February 8th, 2020, 10:47 pm

bhoovy wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:35 pm
Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Actually, you don't (see Golden State Warriors). Regardless, this team isn't equipped to have an inside/out game because our two upperclassmen bigs can't consistently catch the ball/not turn it over. At this point, Bruce should really just go small ball with Sneed at the 4 and rotate Murphy/Gordon at the 5 (with spot subbing for Sneed at the 4). Mawien and Stockard should get no more than 10 minutes a game.

What do we have to lose? We've seen what happens when we try and play a more traditional lineup.
So you’re using a team that’s been in the nba finals the last 5 years, winning 3 of them? We’ll get back to me when Diarra transforms into Steph Curry, Sneed transforms into Clay Thompson and Mawien transforms into Kevin Durant. I’m mean they’re only 3 of best players and shooters in the NBA. And while Durant may not be your traditional post player, he’s still at least 6’9”. And with those 3 they were able to put pretty much anyone into the low post and they would be effective with all the attention those other 3 were released receiving.

Having a post game in college basketball is important. Check Baylor, Gonzaga, ku, San Diego St and Louisville. They all have both guard play and post play. And those 5 are only the current top 5 teams in the country. So I think it’s important.
Don't be dense... I didn't say it wasn't important or that you can't win with a post game. Obviously, you can. But, obviously, you can win without much of a post game too.

The reality is that this team doesn't have a single player on the roster that is a competent post player. And, you could argue that Bruce has never recruited anything more than a mediocre true post player in his entire K-State tenure (Dean's a stretch 4; DJ Johnson is probably the best of the lot).

So, again, why can't/won't Bruce change things up and play small ball? What do we have to lose (other than more games by sticking with the status quo)?

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 8th, 2020, 10:52 pm

bhoovy wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:43 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:24 pm
Just a pathetic performance tonight. ISU NEVER felt threatened and was just playing with KSU. I could say more but it will just get me in trouble. I'm disgusted with what I saw tonight in Ames.
Pretty much agree with everything except that ISU never felt threatened. I think they did but each time just made plays we haven’t this year.

And now we play OSU Tuesday to see who will be the cellar dweller. I really thought these days were over. Can remember going to the big 12 tournament being the 10 and 11 seed just hoping I could see the cats play more than that opening day game. More times than not I did not. Nothing in me expects more than one game in it this year either.

From champs to last. Good programs just don’t do that. I thought we had become a good program but we’re just not there yet.
Good programs are consistently good, the only thing we are consistent about is being inconsistent. This staff must stop giving out scholarships to players that shouldn't be playing at this level of basketball.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 9th, 2020, 12:06 am

Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:47 pm
bhoovy wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Don't be dense... I didn't say it wasn't important or that you can't win with a post game. Obviously, you can. But, obviously, you can win without much of a post game too.

The reality is that this team doesn't have a single player on the roster that is a competent post player. And, you could argue that Bruce has never recruited anything more than a mediocre true post player in his entire K-State tenure (Dean's a stretch 4; DJ Johnson is probably the best of the lot).

So, again, why can't/won't Bruce change things up and play small ball? What do we have to lose (other than more games by sticking with the status quo)?
He's not being dense. He's being realistic, as opposed to you using the GS Warriors as your example as to why a post game isn't important.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 9th, 2020, 12:20 am

Disappointing game. When the game came on, it was 8-28... wtf. Was nice to see us battle back some, but this team isn’t built to come back from that. We don’t have guys that can take games over. Can’t wait to inject some talent into this team.

I like that Bruce put Cartier into the lineup. I hope it’s a sign that he’s supporting him on this team after a week of being torn down by many. This team needs him back next year. Don’t buy into the Fran BS. This program needs him another year.

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » February 9th, 2020, 12:24 am

wild@nite wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:06 am
Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:47 pm

He's not being dense. He's being realistic, as opposed to you using the GS Warriors as your example as to why a post game isn't important.
I guess it was dense sandwiches for dinner night. Again, never said a post game isn't important, that you can't win with one, etc. What I said is that you can win without one. And, there are plenty of examples beyond the Warriors.

Back to the original point - there is essentially zero potential for consistent post play/production on the offensive side of the ball with this team. Bruce can/should try a small ball lineup for most of a game.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 9th, 2020, 1:48 am

Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 9:54 pm
This team, collectively, needs to go to remedial class for basketball IQ. They claw their way back into the game and get it within four points with 4 minutes to play. Then, Sneed takes a ridiculous 24-foot 3 and misses. Iowa State scores. Then, next possession, we through it to stone hands Mawien on the elbow and, shockingly, he can't hold on, it's stolen and then ISU scores to make it a 8 point lead.

It boggles the mind how Weber cannot get this team to play smarter - particularly in critical moments of games.
You took the words out of my mouth. I was going to get on here and say those very things. We pull within 4 and then Sneed fires up a 3 that had about a 10% chance of going in.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 9th, 2020, 2:05 am

I simply throw up my hands when watching this team. Just when I believe they've turned the corner, they come out and spot a poor team a 20 point lead in the first half. Just when you think Mak has found his stride, he comes out and plays like he's never seen a basketball. Do we have more than two players averaging double figures? This is the main problem. Outside of Diarra and Sneed, we don't have any scorers. It will drive you crazy. One game, you think McGuirl or Gordon is going to develop consistent scoring, the next day your hopes are shattered. Then you have to suffer through this agonizing 50% free throw shooting!

If that's not enough, you have to watch other teams throw in crap from way deep every time this team makes a run and pulls within 4. D. Gordon shot 2 3's down the stretch that might have cut the lead to within a possession and they went down and rimmed back out. Then, as if to add insult to injury, when time expires, he heaves a long one from the corner that touches nothing but the bottom of the net. What a KITN that was.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 9th, 2020, 2:41 am

Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:24 am
wild@nite wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:06 am

I guess it was dense sandwiches for dinner night. Again, never said a post game isn't important, that you can't win with one, etc. What I said is that you can win without one. And, there are plenty of examples beyond the Warriors.

Back to the original point - there is essentially zero potential for consistent post play/production on the offensive side of the ball with this team. Bruce can/should try a small ball lineup for most of a game.
I'm all ears on "plenty of examples". Especially, when you factor in we shoot like a team of Hellen Keller's. Yes, you can win without posts, but the teams that do have scorers. Guys that can create. I think that's the point we're trying to make. No need for the "dense" BS. Just talking sensiblly. Sorry, if that's too much.