recruiting gurus, i'd enjoy reading your thoughts about this class ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

recruiting gurus, i'd enjoy reading your thoughts about this class ...

Post by tmcats » February 6th, 2020, 1:56 pm

i personally pay little to no attention to recruiting but always appreciate the thoughts of those who do follow it after the class is signed. :shock:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 6th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Not a guru, but I do follow it a lot. My 2 cents:

Pros:
Got a QB in the class. Should get one every year IMO.
Many early enrollees.
Not a lot of decommits
Got several KS players, and a couple of really underrated KS PWO that will be on the 2 deep before their careers are over
Went after areas of need on the OL and DL and DB
Hit the core of the recruiting states (KS, TX, GA) while still flirting with some other states that KSU is not normally in.
Creative use of gray and blue shirts
Several H-Back players to fit the new offense
Beat out a couple of top P5 teams
Got a few recruits before other P5 teams could get on them. Means they are doing good early work in recruiting.
Got a couple of kids that have a lot of upside, but are unknowns due to limited time playing FB, or in a hidden area
Re-recruited a JUCO placement. These usually don't end up back at KSU
Not dead last in the Big 12 and almost top 50 overall (51st)
Got players to commit early
Got some players to commit before even visiting
Got players in bunches/friends, like the TX kids

Cons:
Missed on the top KS players and a lot of the top OL recruits overall. Hard for the staff to quickly build those relationships, but damn were there some good OL in KS in 2020.
Had to take on a few JUCOs because of misses and holes in the roster
Great class of 3*s, but no 4* or above as the "star player" in the class
While not dead last in the Big 12, would like to be higher then 8th

So far though, the 2021 class is already addressing some of the Cons. Already has a 4* and already has several of the top KS players in it.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 6th, 2020, 6:12 pm

so, isu and nebraska got two of the top kansas linemen?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 6th, 2020, 9:08 pm

I doubt that the kid from Emporia is top shelf quality. But, who knows?

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » February 7th, 2020, 3:55 am

AJcat7755
Great class of 3*s, but no 4* or above as the "star player" in the class
Please remember that many 4*, 5*, come with their own set of psychosis: Psychosis is a mental condition that causes you to lose touch with reality.

3* 2* and walk-ons know they have to learn and produce.

As a former coach give the kid who is willing to learn and work his *&^(*&^( off Vs entitled twits who expect the world to fall down before them.

HOFHCBS built on hard worker Vs Golden Children. HCCK is basically doing the same thing except with more workers.

How many Kings did HOFHCBS have compared to workers?

Give me a Jordy Nelson over a King.

During warm-up before a game, Raymond Berry pointed out to the Refs that the field was too narrow. Refs checked, and sure enough the damned field was indeed several feet too narrow.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 7th, 2020, 7:27 am

My observation is that our increase in recruiting ranking has more to due with recruiting a larger volume of players, not players with higher accolades or stars coming in. More is good since you have more to choose from after you see them better, but it’s not what I was expecting considering all the “hype”.

Ark, your argument that we should get 2 and 3 star players instead of 4 and 5 is not a good one and the performance of teams that get the top players proves otherwise. That said, Snyder did with lower rates players so CK might be able to as well. But, the talk has been that CK will be getting the 4 and 5 stars kids that Snyder couldn’t. I don’t see that happening.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 7th, 2020, 11:24 am

Not yet anyway. But, I think the possibility of higher ranked recruits in the future is higher under Klieman.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 7th, 2020, 12:01 pm

2020 class is solid. Like what was said above, my biggest reservations about it was that we missed on a lot of KS kids(largely due to other programs recruiting them longer). No 4star talent, which I would like to see from time to time. And we went fairly heavy JUCO, which you have to be careful with, but it's understandable as we lost a lot of talent, particularly on the line, and the last 2 Snyder classes didn't address that enough. I just hope Klieman can manage the roster a little better after it's fixed and take JUCO players more at a minimum.

2021 is the class that we get to see just how well Klieman and staff can recruit.... no excuses. I expect them to knock it out of the park and so far, it has started off very good.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 7th, 2020, 12:18 pm

My biggest take on this class is that our staff is reaching out to new areas, doing well in Kansas, and offering a lot of PWO's. We're offering a lot of Kansas kids PWO's and that will pay off down the road. Building relationships with those HS coaches and families will be really crucial when some of those coaches have studs in the future. They will remember CK courting their kids even when there wasn't lights out talent.

I think our 2021 class will be a top 30-40 and top 6 in the Big 12. With our style of play, if we can get top 30-40 classes, we will be a top 25 caliber team most years, imo. Lookout if CK can start reeling in 4 star linemen. I think Corcoran from Free State is going to regret his decision to attend Nebraska. This offense and program would have him shining as soon as next year, imo.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 7th, 2020, 2:04 pm

My thoughts are that although we did lose a couple of good KS lineman, we also got some good KS lineman as well and I think Warner might end up being the best of all of them.

I never look at stars with recruiting so I don't care about 3's or 4's. I look at who else recruited them, that is what I think is important. I understand stars mean something, but I really look at each kid and see who else offered. That is the biggest thing to me, but even that can be misleading as some kids commit early and are solid and don't get other offers because they shut people down. I also always remember Tanner Wood. He was a 3 star when he committed and then a couple of months after his senior season while he was recovering from shoulder surgery, he got an offer from OSU and another from Tennessee and all of a sudden he was a 4 star???

The other thing is that I trust our coaches and when they have a kid at summer camp and then they offer, I think if they have them on the field and they coach them up and watch them, they know what they are doing and looking for. A few of these kids like Jaelyn Travis does not have great offers, but Taylor Braet said he was awesome at summer camp, is long and rangy and caught everything at camp.

I'm also okay with a few more juco's this year because next years junior class numbers are really low, not many guys in that class, so adding a few juco's at positions like DT and DE where there isn't as big of a learning curve and a guy can make a pretty quick impact is okay, especially considering Hentz, Gainous and Delforge are already on campus. I know the safety from Hutch is not here yet and I'm not sure about Derek Newton, but guys here for spring ball, spring workouts and the summer is a good deal. Also, the Taleni kid is a 4 to play 3, so that to me is almost not a juco kid as he can still redshirt and play for 3 years.