So what do we think of Fran's comments

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: So what do we think of Fran's comments

Post by wild@nite » February 4th, 2020, 11:31 am

KsJoey wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 11:00 am
I think Fran went overboard on the air, though i'm not disagreeing with what he's saying, as there are some obvious issues with where Cartiers head is at right now. It's okay to mention it at time or 2, but to keep mentioning it over and over, after every mistake he made (or didn't make)... Cartier doesn't deserve that either. It was like he had nothing else to talk about when anything related to Cartier came up.

"He's very talented, but..." Seemed like it was said a dozen times last night.
I agree with this too. It makes you wonder if Bruce didn't put a bug in his ear so Fran can be the bad guy. That is pure speculation, but wouldn't surprise me, because he certainly doesn't seem to want to deal with it.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 4th, 2020, 11:38 am

Fran's on-air criticism of Carti may be a good thing. If Carti is truly playing for himself, and not the team, being called out by a respected TV commentator might straighten him up.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 4th, 2020, 11:44 am

I think Marcus Foster proved that no player is too important or irreplaceable to this team, to be required to tolerate poor choices/attitudes. Even though the body language from Cartier isn't good, kind of like Fosters was, I still haven't seen the evidence is him being a cancer to other teammates like Foster was. With Foster were was a lot of smoke/rumors surrounding the team. And even though there may be a little right now, it's not nearly to that extent. Of course, Bruce shouldn't ever let it get that bad again either... and i'm sure he knows that.

I think also putting Cartier more at the 2 will only help him on the court. To make a few less decisions, a few less passes, but still be effective in scoring... which is where we need him.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 4th, 2020, 12:00 pm

When I heard Fran I thought it wasn’t any of his business talking about Carti’s possibilities of transferring. I’m not saying that he’s not possibly right. He hears rumors just like everybody else but I personally don’t think it’s his job to fuel rumors. Call the game and talk about what you observe. If he sees him pouting I have no problem with him telling what he sees. I just don’t like spreading rumors in his position when he probably has no more idea than any of us.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » February 4th, 2020, 12:14 pm

I think it was a TERRIBLE comment to make during a game. "Not invested in KSU."

That is slam not only on Carti, but Weber and the whole program in my opinion.

It is one thing to say a player needs to improve here and there and do this and that better, but to question his loyalty and commitment during a game is off the charts.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 4th, 2020, 12:21 pm

it may not have been appropriate for fran to say that. it's an individual call, i guess. but i've certainly felt the same way this year.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » February 4th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Personally, I have not noticed a bad attitude from Cartier at all, but he has not played up to his ability at all this year.

I see no comparison w Foster at all as early in his sophomore year, I saw a smirk on his face just about anytime he would hit a shot w someone guarding him.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » February 4th, 2020, 12:29 pm

I was somewhat shocked that Fran said it but definitely was pleased that he did. It echoes exactly what I’ve thought and said all year.

No doubt that’s he a capable ball player but so was Marcus Foster. A change of scenery next year can probably benefit both parties.

And some on here saying that Frans comments are an indirect shot at Weber, you’re dam right they are. Is there an issue there? Bruce has to know that Cartier Diarra’s issues are impacting the whole team just as SNWs did, just as Fosters did.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 4th, 2020, 12:31 pm

I agree, it isn't his place, but he is getting his info from somebody, and I'm betting it's the coaching staff.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » February 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Seems pretty clear to me that Weber HAS laid out what his expectations are, and Carti has not met them. Big disappointment to me (big deal!)
b/c I've previously been his biggest fan. Weber's not starting him and limiting his playing time is maybe kind of an indulgence to protect his "brand" a bit so he has doors open to him at the end of this year, either to transfer or go pro. Kicking him off the team could potentially really damage his future, and I think Weber cares about that. He could be hard-ass about it and just jettison him, but that's not Weber's way, as demonstrated by a lot of history in general and Foster in particular.

I know nothing....but I thought a big problem with Foster was that it wasn't just him-he was taking several of his teammates down with him (with some very obvious exceptions). It doesn't SEEM, at least, that that's happening here. The young kids may not be ready for prime time but they do seem to be cohesive and hard-working and not negatively influenced by Carti. I seriously doubt that he is poisoning the well in that regard. And it's nice to have a few 3s a game without which the record might be the same but a lot of the losses wouldn't have been so close!

I'd guess he'll be gone at year end, nobody-not him, not Weber, not his teammates- will shed any tears over that, and will say Go with God. It will be better for him and better for the team.

And I also agree that Fran was off the reservation with those comments, especially as they went on and on. And on.
Last edited by Highway26north on February 4th, 2020, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.