tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: College Football Broken

Post by tmcats » February 2nd, 2020, 9:53 am

Opensource wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 5:56 pm
tmcats wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 11:33 am

you make some odd arguments but your nbaf take is amongst the strangest. mhk real estate is very expensive already. nbaf doesn't open for a couple years. i can't imagine what it will be like then. i do agree that k-state enrollment is problematic presently.
Would be interested on your take as to why NBAF should bring industry to Manhattan. Why is being located next to the lab matter to some business? The number of NBAF employees will likely not compensate for the decrease in K-State's enrollment and decrease (from pre Brownback) in state-tax dollar support.
it's typical that national labs are surrounded by businesses with aligned interests. being located next to the lab allows for those enterprises to build commercial, physical, and social ties to the lab and its mission. movie studios are in hollywood not fargo. and nbaf has nothing to do with brownback. of all our congressional delegation he was absolutely the most useless in bringing it to mhk.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 2nd, 2020, 2:53 pm

NBAF will probably have some positive impact and it probably has already. But the size and scope will probably be far below what is currently being advertised in the local “Hype”. TM, this is certainly the first time I have heard 5000 jobs? I heard 800 direct jobs when the facility was first proposed, but have heard that being pared back to more like 200 in recent times. Now there are the indirect jobs too.l, but 5000? I guess I like your optimism and I suspect you have something to gain from the optimism.

As for the economic impact and real estate, there was
certainly a lot of building in anticipation. But now you see those homes sitting around for 18 months looking for a buyer.

What will 200 scientists do for KSU? Undetermined. It is a federal facility. There will probably be some opportunities for collaboration, just like there already are now. The amount is probably a lot smaller than expected. Perhaps a comparison might be the USDA facility up at the other Moo U.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 2nd, 2020, 3:19 pm

This is an opportunity for a state that values agriculture and bio/agrosecurity. NBAF will create jobs, stimulate the state's innovation economy and heighten Kansas’ position as a global food systems and bioscience leader. The $1.25 billion NBAF will create up to 1,500 construction jobs and about 350 permanent jobs at the lab. It will generate an estimated economic impact of $3.5 billion in its first 20 years and create a magnet for private biotechnology companies, professionals and support infrastructure. It also will result in collaborative opportunities for existing universities and research institutions and will help attract more top-flight researchers to the area. K-State

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 2nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

The North Campus Corridor (NCC) project will expand the major roadways near K-State University and the National Bio-Agro Defense Facility (NBAF): Kimball, Denison, College, and North Manhattan Avenues. Kimball Avenue serves as the arterial roadway connecting Kansas Highway 113 and U.S. Highway 24 to NBAF.

Kimball Avenue alone carries over 20,000 vehicles daily. Improvements throughout the NCC include increased lane widths and dedicated turn lanes, improved storm sewer infrastructure, protected medians, traffic signal and crosswalk innovations, pedestrian walkways throughout the corridor, bicycle improvements, bus stops, streetscape and landscape enhancements.

Over the next 20 years, these improvements are expected to help support 5,000 jobs in Manhattan.
City of Manhattan

Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Opensource » February 2nd, 2020, 4:23 pm

I hope all of the above comes to pass. My sense is this is the old model. The best people are choosing to live in different places than where they work. It is just too easy to be in the same room with people streaming video, and soon it will be more common to do that virtually.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 2nd, 2020, 5:02 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 3:24 pm
The North Campus Corridor (NCC) project will expand the major roadways near K-State University and the National Bio-Agro Defense Facility (NBAF): Kimball, Denison, College, and North Manhattan Avenues. Kimball Avenue serves as the arterial roadway connecting Kansas Highway 113 and U.S. Highway 24 to NBAF.

Kimball Avenue alone carries over 20,000 vehicles daily. Improvements throughout the NCC include increased lane widths and dedicated turn lanes, improved storm sewer infrastructure, protected medians, traffic signal and crosswalk innovations, pedestrian walkways throughout the corridor, bicycle improvements, bus stops, streetscape and landscape enhancements.

Over the next 20 years, these improvements are expected to help support 5,000 jobs in Manhattan.
City of Manhattan
The city of manhattan has been selling this line of crap for the last 10 years to bilk local taxpayers and pad the pockets of local developers to the tune of millions. Literally trampling local citizens. Get a clue.

All that’s happened is some developers have gotten rich and property taxes have skyrocketed. You don’t happen to work in an industry related to construction or civil engineering do you? Just had to ask. They seem to have a lot of power in MHK.

If not and you’re willing to believe the corrupt folks in city planning in MHK, I have some ocean front property on Arizona to sell you.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 2nd, 2020, 7:19 pm

ya, those corrupt folk just brought a billion-dollar national lab to little ole mhk. there was near zero negative tax effect.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 2nd, 2020, 10:11 pm

It’s all to be determined. In the mean time, local taxes have skyrocketed (do you not have property in MHK or pay local taxes?) and developers are making millions while the local planning and zoning board is running over individual homeowners. Those aren’t projections or opinions, those are just the facts.

Do you live in MHK? If so, you don’t happen to earn a living in an industry tied to construction do you? Just had to ask.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 2nd, 2020, 11:49 pm

MHK property taxes are obscene. Wife and I contemplating relocating and downsizing. but MHK priced us out with property taxes. Now considering Wamego area, or Alma, or any nearby county.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 2nd, 2020, 11:50 pm

MHK property taxes are obscene. Wife and I contemplating relocating and downsizing. but MHK priced us out with property taxes. Now considering Wamego area, or Alma, or any nearby county.