WVU Game Thread and Notes

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: WVU Game Thread and Notes

Post by learnin » February 1st, 2020, 11:41 pm

Well when a player is asked, by the media, to explain shooting woes, what is a player supposed to say?
We can't shoot? We don't practice enough? Bad Coaching? Or do you say, "what a stupid question!"
In my opinion, the game was way too physical. I just finished watching the game and I never
saw so many players bodies on other players. This is why there are so many low scoring games. I've never seen
so many games in the 40's down to the last TV time out. How in the hell can you shoot when you've had to push
through a bunch of arms and bodies just to get a shot off? We were playing physical defense, also.

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » February 1st, 2020, 11:48 pm

Anyone who says the ball doesn't matter has obviously never played. That's like telling a hitter that the bat in his hand is the same as any other bat. Ludicrous. There can be a pretty distinct difference from year to year in regards to basketballs with the texture, tackiness or lack thereof, quality of leather, thickness of the leather -- and especially the seams of the ball, and the general feel of the ball, etc. Most schools have contracts that REQUIRE them to use Nike's ball, Under Armour's ball, Adidas's ball. etc. Hell, just the difference in the feel of the embossed logo of all of those different companies can throw you off if you aren't used to it. Not only the outline of the respective logo, but how deeply it is imprinted into the leather.

As I said earlier in this thread. None of this should matter as our guys should have been given the exact ball that WV plays with. All the equipment staff/coaches need to do is find out what ball they are using when they travel to each and EVERY school. This is not a new issue. I would be shocked if we don't have an equipment room full of dozens of balls from every manufacture that Big XII schools use yearly, at minimum,

But I agree with an earlier post that said that there should be a uniform ball sanctioned and used by the NCAA. We all know how much the NCAA LOVES their money so it would make sense for them to place the mandate, and sit back and watch the bidding war ensue among all the ball manufacturers to see who wins the contract. Whether it be Rawlings, Spalding, etc.............. Nike, UA, Adidas, ets are all already getting their $$$$.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 2nd, 2020, 12:22 am

Puffdad wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 1:23 pm
Not impressed with any of their guard play.
Noticed WV’s two starting guards combined for one point........Need to be able to beat teams that do that.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 2nd, 2020, 1:19 am

I don't hear anybody else talking about it. I get so tired of excuses. It's absolutely a weakness.

I can tell you this. I was a shooter. That's it. Average athleticism, but give me a girls ball, I can adjust in 5 shots, still to this day.

Shooters are shooters. Excuses are excuses.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 2nd, 2020, 2:23 am

As I said, I never watched the game live and just finished watching tape tonight. That was a poor excuse for a basketball game. It was a wrestling match. I have never seen so much grabbing and hands on the dribbler. I feel sorry for college officials. They could’ve called 100 fouls in this one. They tried to clean the game up a few years ago , but folks didn’t like the whistle. The announcers indicated how ugly it was on many occasions but kept trying to make half hearted excuses....great defense. KState fought and was physical too. Huggs was blasting the officials throughout. As the buzzer went off, he was blasting Jerry Pollard and It looked like Pollard told him to eff off which made Bob yell some more.

I’m beginning to think NBA is a better game to watch. At least they only have 20 seconds available for wrestling, but a great number of quick 3’s lend to a much cleaner game.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 2nd, 2020, 8:52 am

Every game WV plays is disgusting. And the fact that the big IX lets them do it is ridiculous. I’ll stop there because I’ve posted on this time and time again. I don’t even watch WV games anymore. It isn’t basketball.

As for balls. If WV pulled out some Spauldings and we were prepared for and usually play with Nike, that would certainly make a difference to me, there is a “huge” difference in the weight and feel of those balls with the Spaulding being on the smaller/lighter (perhaps lightest) side and the Nike being on the other end of the spectrum.

The ball issue has been around the NCAA for a long time. The home team chooses the ball and it just has to fit within the specification “range”. Let me repeat, “range”.

There was a long running feud in the Big 10 about the obscure ball Wisconsin used. Many attributed their vaunted home record to that ball.

Again, another NCAA money issue that has nothing to to with a level playing field, just mo money.

Last, my experience is that schools have all sorts of balls in storage room so they can shoot and practice with the correct balls for the next game. Regardless, it can be hard for some guys to make the adjustment because shooting is 1. muscle memory, and the ball affects that and 2. Confidence, and the “change” can get in some guys heads.

The solution is a uniform NCAA ball. But where’s the money in that?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 2nd, 2020, 9:59 am

ya well, whatever the size of the balls, i concur, that was one butt-ugly contest that k-state could have won with just some decent, just average, shooting and free throws. X had an awful time of it. and carti, my goodness.

cats get baylor monday. it's going to be fun watching them tussle to the end in that one. i can just feel it.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 2nd, 2020, 10:05 am

Zoltar wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 8:42 pm
I would guess that you are not a shooter.
You would be wrong
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

learnin

Post by learnin » February 2nd, 2020, 12:22 pm

Frankly, I’m surprised any one could hit a shot after that melee of a game. And, yes, different sized balls do make a difference in shooting. Put it all together and you’re most likely not going to have a great shooting game in Morgantown. Hand it to Bob. He’ll go to great lengths to get an edge. Add another edge. Constant barking at refs to keep em thinking. It’s no wonder Pollard told him to eff off.

Let’s face it. WV is #11, but they do not have #11 talent. It’s clear to see that our guys are every bit as good as WV

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 2nd, 2020, 2:20 pm

There is nobody any more particular than a basketball player about which basketball they are shooting! Open up a cage of balls and watch the first one pick through the whole rack trying to find the one they like! I always gave them a hard time but I would agree they do have different feels. Weight difference?- somebody would have to prove that to me. They’re supposed to be the same. Over or under inflated is a pretty common problem. Kids from both teams will usually let you know. For my particular preference....give me a Spaulding every time.