Interesting comment by Weber on Kaosi in press conference

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: Interesting comment by Weber on Kaosi in press conference

Post by learnin » January 31st, 2020, 6:24 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 12:51 pm
mak has really brought it the last couple of games. hopefully, that continues as his career draws to a close. when he's good, k-state is a tough out.
My observation is that Mak thought he was going to come out and really produce this season. But, with the departure of three 1,000 plus scorers, teams were locking down on our 3 returning veterans and it didn't come as easy as he thought. I believe his attitude suffered from this slow start but, now that it seems the coaches/players have adjusted to this new dynamic with more driving, etc., Mak has found his role again. Now, if he can just keep from getting in foul trouble.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 31st, 2020, 6:33 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 1:18 pm
bindweed wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 12:40 pm
I find it very strange Bruce saying Mak has energy some night's and some night's he doesn't. That's not normal for a healthy young man. Maybe it's more of a medical condition. Such as blood sugar's out of normal or a really poor diet. Also maybe he is bipolar and that can be treated with medicine.

Not going to lie, it seems strange to me also. Coach Weber said after the OU game that Mak won the opening tip the other night, but at OU a few weeks ago he lost the opening tip to the same guy. Weber said he can tell if Mak has energy by just how aggressive he attacks the opening tip.

That is pretty strange. Lots of things come to mind. Like you said, is it diet, etc?? Really weird.

That was a bit of my point about not putting it squarely on the development by the coaches with a guy like Mak. He could have some medical condition that requires he use medication and that medication could obviously affect his energy levels. Hard to say. It might just be that he is just a naturally sluggish person that always is borderline asleep. We all have had people like that we know.

Now, that doesn't change the fact that he can't catch the ball very well, or handle it well once he does have it. He can be half asleep when he plays, but if he could catch and finish, it would be fine by me.
I really like Weber and lots of things he does as a coach. But I don't see much difference in Mawiens effort from game to game.
What I see is
1. some times he commits too many fouls and also stupid reaching fouls or stupid moving screen fouls. Then he can't be as agressive.

2, He has bad hands that causes him to struggle to handle some fairly good passes and also allows him to be stripped more easily than other big men. Three or so turnovers a game where he drops a pass or loses a ball due to being stripped makes him look really bad.

I was at the OU game and Mak fouled out in 19 minutes. Stupid fouls that also impacted how aggresive he could be. And he was the only player who could defend Doolittle in that game.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 31st, 2020, 6:36 pm

"mak has really brought it the last couple of games"

rebounding, you mean, rebounding

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 31st, 2020, 7:41 pm

SIAP, but I just saw this article from Riley Gates about Kaosi. I wasn't sure how to feel after reading it. On the one hand, I was encouraged by Weber's comments, not only on Kaosi's athleticism, but also what a great attitude he has and how hard he works in practice. On the other hand, the comment about Kaosi's play causing another player to "quit in practice the other day because he was going so hard" made me shake my head. Seriously? We obviously don't know all of the details, but I would be fuming if I were Coach Weber - especially after the season we are having. Maybe the quitter needs to keep the bench warm for the next game if he is too tired to play hard in practice.

I get it that Kaosi is fresher than the other players, but for a player to quit practice over how the new kid is excited and is playing hard? C'mon.

Another thing that stood out to me in that article was when Coach Weber talked about the big men for next season. Love's name was not mentioned.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-st ... 142986066/
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 1st, 2020, 1:02 am

stlcatfan wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 7:41 pm
SIAP, but I just saw this article from Riley Gates about Kaosi. I wasn't sure how to feel after reading it. On the one hand, I was encouraged by Weber's comments, not only on Kaosi's athleticism, but also what a great attitude he has and how hard he works in practice. On the other hand, the comment about Kaosi's play causing another player to "quit in practice the other day because he was going so hard" made me shake my head. Seriously? We obviously don't know all of the details, but I would be fuming if I were Coach Weber - especially after the season we are having. Maybe the quitter needs to keep the bench warm for the next game if he is too tired to play hard in practice.

I get it that Kaosi is fresher than the other players, but for a player to quit practice over how the new kid is excited and is playing hard? C'mon.

Another thing that stood out to me in that article was when Coach Weber talked about the big men for next season. Love's name was not mentioned.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-st ... 142986066/
It’s quite obvious Love won’t be back.