Early Enrollees

The defending Big XII Champions
iowa_wildcat

Early Enrollees

Post by iowa_wildcat » January 28th, 2020, 7:47 am

Twitter tells me that a record number of recruits for 2020 have enrolled this semester and will participate in off season workouts and spring practice. Can anyone tell me which young men this includes?

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 28th, 2020, 8:33 am

Sounds like some enthused kids.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 28th, 2020, 9:16 am

In the thread "So Excited," Ark says he talked with Kacey Harper, Dir. of Football Ops and was told 19 early enrollee's, but not sure who they all are. Just from following Twitter I have seen pics of some of them showing their new lockers, like Hentz and Gainous and I know the QB from Pennsylvania is there and Tee Denson also I think. Not sure after that. I saw that Kleiman had an in-home visit with Ronald Triplette the other day, who is already signed, so he must not be coming until the summer.

It is great to get the juco's in for sure. I also imagine it is nice to get the high school guys in to get them through spring ball, but man, sometimes I feel like our society today is getting in way too big of a hurry. Most of those freshman will redshirt anyway, so why not enjoy that senior prom, run track or play baseball or basketball, go on a spring break trip, whatever. I suppose if you think you are going to the NFL you want to hurry up and get to that money, but most of these kids, I sure hope they don't regret giving up what can be one of the most fun times of your life.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 28th, 2020, 9:53 am

Gorhoops wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:16 am
In the thread "So Excited," Ark says he talked with Kacey Harper, Dir. of Football Ops and was told 19 early enrollee's, but not sure who they all are. Just from following Twitter I have seen pics of some of them showing their new lockers, like Hentz and Gainous and I know the QB from Pennsylvania is there and Tee Denson also I think. Not sure after that. I saw that Kleiman had an in-home visit with Ronald Triplette the other day, who is already signed, so he must not be coming until the summer.

It is great to get the juco's in for sure. I also imagine it is nice to get the high school guys in to get them through spring ball, but man, sometimes I feel like our society today is getting in way too big of a hurry. Most of those freshman will redshirt anyway, so why not enjoy that senior prom, run track or play baseball or basketball, go on a spring break trip, whatever. I suppose if you think you are going to the NFL you want to hurry up and get to that money, but most of these kids, I sure hope they don't regret giving up what can be one of the most fun times of your life.
Unfortunately, many of them will regret it. I personally know several kids (not necessarily D1) who poured their heart/soul and teenage years into football and got to college, quit within 2 years, return home, have no other skills to speak of, and are working entry level jobs. You can't tell me they aren't regretting it.

I love college football, but there is waaaaaayyyyyy too much priority placed on year around sports. People trash Kansas High School football, but we are closer to being right than Texas or Oklahoma. Talk about priorities being way out of line in those two states. I mean, what's more important, family, being a teenager, lifelong skills, or year around football? Some will say you can do it all, but not with much quality. Many of these youngsters are putting in 40 hour weeks in the summertime for football. Weights, 7 on 7, individuals, team camps, plus trying to play other sports. I know this conversation has been had before and some think our Kansas kids are at a disadvantage, but I'd argue just the opposite. Not having spring football, etc... is a allowing Kansas kids to develop other areas of their life.

In summary... I assure you many will end up regretting it. They may never admit it, but they will.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 28th, 2020, 10:49 am

wild, i agree. i also remember when bill snyder would say how pleased he was that most of the youngsters were staying on campus through summer to workout because that wasn't always the case. now, they're coming six months early as 17 and 18-year-olds while missing prom, spring sports, and even their graduation walk. it's loony. :|
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Number8son
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pick 'Em

Post by Number8son » January 28th, 2020, 11:20 am

wild@nite wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:53 am
Gorhoops wrote:

Unfortunately, many of them will regret it. I personally know several kids (not necessarily D1) who poured their heart/soul and teenage years into football and got to college, quit within 2 years, return home, have no other skills to speak of, and are working entry level jobs. You can't tell me they aren't regretting it.

I love college football, but there is waaaaaayyyyyy too much priority placed on year around sports. People trash Kansas High School football, but we are closer to being right than Texas or Oklahoma. Talk about priorities being way out of line in those two states. I mean, what's more important, family, being a teenager, lifelong skills, or year around football? Some will say you can do it all, but not with much quality. Many of these youngsters are putting in 40 hour weeks in the summertime for football. Weights, 7 on 7, individuals, team camps, plus trying to play other sports. I know this conversation has been had before and some think our Kansas kids are at a disadvantage, but I'd argue just the opposite. Not having spring football, etc... is a allowing Kansas kids to develop other areas of their life.

In summary... I assure you many will end up regretting it. They may never admit it, but they will.
I don't discount that some will regret it, however, I think it is just the nature of competition. When I was at KSU, kids were getting internships for work which helped them in their career. Lots of rural kids with little money (or other responsibilities) , didn't have vehicles or money to live away from home to get those valuable internships. The kids coming in early know that it may help them get on the field if they come in early. They develop relationships, enriching experiences, etc.. which will take them to positive places whether professional football is in their future. They also get a head start on college credits. It is probably not right for everyone, but I think it can be a good option. Your point about having a balance is important and I think that is a valid concern.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 28th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Good post. I agree that it depends on the individual. Some will thrive, some will regret it.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 28th, 2020, 2:33 pm

wild@nite wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Good post. I agree that it depends on the individual. Some will thrive, some will regret it.
Agreed. As explained above, you might miss a lot. But for some kids, they're just ready for the next phase of their life. I liked highschool, but college was even better. Walking wasn't a big deal to me (skipped it for my masters). Prom isn't a big deal for a lot of kids. I just think it completely depends on the kid and hope they are advised of the pros/cons of making that decision.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » January 28th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Gorhoops wrote:

good points gor. kids can come in anytime. how they physically mature, however is not tied to what we need/want.

20 year old athletes, more physically mature, are just different.

granted: talent is talent. ability is ability.

for instance: I don't know that I've seen a kid at KSU 'attack the ball in the air' like Knowles. Said it last fall, say it again: this kid has sunday written all over him. with right QB, could rewrite KSU receiving. I think he has that ability in him. Now, will it all come out?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » January 28th, 2020, 5:19 pm

KITNooga wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Gorhoops wrote:

good points gor. kids can come in anytime. how they physically mature, however is not tied to what we need/want.

20 year old athletes, more physically mature, are just different.

granted: talent is talent. ability is ability.

for instance: I don't know that I've seen a kid at KSU 'attack the ball in the air' like Knowles. Said it last fall, say it again: this kid has sunday written all over him. with right QB, could rewrite KSU receiving. I think he has that ability in him. Now, will it all come out?
If a player has NFL talent, the NFL will find them whether or not their offense can showcase them or not (assuming they are healthy). Opposing coaches, NFL scouts, etc know the players that have talent on their rosters even if they don't get the stats.