The fight

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Re: The fight

Post by Puffdad » January 22nd, 2020, 8:23 am

When the winning team has the ball in front court up 20 with 5 seconds left and they stop and dribble it out......you don’t go steal the ball......basketball 101 since grade school rec league.

Kids might be frustrated, mad, whatever, but that’s where you suck it up and swallow your pride and wait for the buzzer, shake hands, and do better next game.

Now at the same time what Gordon did was bush league, but what transpired after that was criminal and a reflection of the KU mindset.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » January 22nd, 2020, 8:43 am

Generally I agree with puff here. However, it’s been a dreadful season with more misery coming so honestly it doesn’t bother me that much. If the game ended after the block, I would’ve thought “yikes well DaJuan got what he asked for” and that’s the end.

I’m being honest though now, I’m glad he did steal it. 90%+ of the bad optics post-steal are KU related. I’m not particularly proud of my “ends justify the means” viewpoint here because generally I don’t like that phrase but I just despise KU so much.

Section 12-2

Post by Section 12-2 » January 22nd, 2020, 8:51 am

I don't believe Gordon would have stolen the ball if he hadn't been fouled the second or two before.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 22nd, 2020, 9:18 am

DeSousa held up his arm bar to keep him away from stealing the ball. As if to say what in the world are you doing? 99.9% of grade school kids understand the unwritten rules of end of game etiquette.

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » January 22nd, 2020, 9:29 am

No matter how you try to spin it, this was simply a bad look for both programs and schools. Doesn't matter how it started, or who threw the first punch. It was simply an embarrassment.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

Section 12-2

Post by Section 12-2 » January 22nd, 2020, 9:31 am

Weren't a couple of KU players kicking someone who was on the floor?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 22nd, 2020, 9:36 am

Section 12-2 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 8:51 am
I don't believe Gordon would have stolen the ball if he hadn't been fouled the second or two before.
That shouldn't have mattered. Gordon should have kept his cool. Why was he guarding so tight? The game was over. DeSousa gave him an arm bar. Not much of a foul. Gordon reacted without even THINKING about the possible consequences of his stupid move.

I'm not taking KU's side here. DeSousa's behavior was abominable and deserves the harshest penalty. I'm simply pointing out that for every action, there's a reaction in a heated rivalry game. Gordon didn't even consider what he might have triggered.

Weber himself said that this never should have happened. By stating that, he implied that Gordon should have backed off and let the game end.

What happened after the steal was mostly a predictable outcome. A guy who was at the center of controversy for an entire year, and was now in the game during "garbage time", just got stripped and embarrassed by one of our players. He initially did what any of us would have done - he chased after Gordon and blocked his shot. What happened next was not typical for most players. It was the action of an angry, frustrated and spiteful player unshackled by Gordon's steal. It was sorrowful to watch the derangement unfold.
Last edited by pulitzerdave on January 22nd, 2020, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 22nd, 2020, 9:36 am

Not a proud moment for us but much much worse for KU. They went all gangsta on Love who was just trying to help.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 22nd, 2020, 9:37 am

The question I keep asking myself is, I wonder how KSU does there scout video clips for each game? I am guessing the video crew puts together a compilation of all of KU's sets, inlines, defenses, etc. What I wonder is, do they put in anything at the beginning as a motivational type thing? Do they put in the clip of Greene dunking at the buzzer a few years ago with the coaches talking about "hey, if these guys get the chance, they will bury you and they will run it up and they will dunk on you, you better bring your best effort for 40 minutes, blah blah blah." I would imagine most coaches have done that.

I am not suggesting Gordon was justified in stealing the ball, it was a bad move. But if he had it in his head that it was possible KU may go down and dunk it like Greene did, who knows?

But honestly, bad stuff is happening when we play KU about every few years now, Greene with his buzzer dunk, the guy that stood over Wally Judge, the KSU student bumping their player in the court-storming melee. It is getting out of control. Crap needs to stop. Of course it doesn't help when you have idiots like Devonte Graham throwing fuel on the fire on Twitter. That will only make it worse in the future.

I ask myself, KSU owns KU in football on a large scale just like KU owns KSU, even though the basketball series is more competitive, but this stuff never happens in football?? Why is that?? Could it be that KSU just beats KU down in football and then moves on and doesn't bring on all of the arrogant crap that the basketball folks at KU do???

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 22nd, 2020, 9:38 am

I agree that D Gordon should have backed off.....certainly an immature response to gettin' whooped. For the life of me, I just can't figure out where the officials were and what they were thinking. That whole episode should have ended with the hard block, KU fans cheer, and the time ticks off the clock.