Fullypersuaded

Post by Fullypersuaded » January 22nd, 2020, 12:28 am

Yes, we must play again this season.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 22nd, 2020, 1:28 am

Good article

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 22nd, 2020, 7:41 am

I’m not sure the two schools can cover this one up since it played out on National TV. It’s not like a player kicking a co-ed in the face at a party or girls getting assaulted at a fraternity, which get swept under the table.

Hopefully this isn’t signs of things to come with Weber’s foray into Chicago to recruit players. Clearly the KU players, DeSousa and 33, should be booted for good because of their actions in the melee, but we had a few classless moves as well. The two Gordon’s made some dumb moves. I like the competitive spirit, but the stupidity is a red flag. Love’s role will probably have him removed from the program, although I would venture to guess he has a lot of pent up frustration knowing he was going to get the boot anyway so he was probably ready for a fight.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 22nd, 2020, 8:06 am

I think KU will bear the brunt of this, but yes, we had a part in it.

James Love helped escalate what should have been just a few shoves and nasty words exchanged. What in the world was he thinking by wading into that mess? This will make it easy for Weber to dismiss him from the team. Something that was likely to happen anyway.

And I'm sorry, but D.Gordon is not without fault here. The game was over. We got mashed pretty good. And as Bruce Weber said after the game, "you win with class, and you lose with class." Stealing the ball with a few seconds to go and then trying to make a layup or dunk is bush. I don't care if DeSousa was giving him an arm bar. He should have just backed off and let the clock run out. That's the prudent and sensible thing to do. Gordon's action to me doesn't say "competitor", it says "stupid".

He has three more trips to Allen Field House, and he just made those more difficult for himself and his teammates.

I believe in playing hard to the end, but not on the defensive end when you're behind by 20+ points and the clock is ticking down to 0. There was pent up emotion because we got humiliated and stomped by a rival team, but show some restraint and class.

I'm not saying what we did was anywhere near as bad as standing over a player and taunting him, or lifting a stool to use as a weapon. Those were the images that most will remember about this brawl. But darn it, players should realize that there are certain things that will trigger explosive behavior.

Just don't do them.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 22nd, 2020, 9:21 am

I think A Gordon will receive some type of disciplinary action. Sloan came up to confront De Sousa who was standing over D Gordon who was on the ground. A Gordon was the next player to get there and he ran off the bench to do it. He ran into the back of Sloan, which pushed him into De Sousa. Love will receive some type of disciplinary action. Both Love and A Gordon came off the bench and were in the middle of it all even if they didn't throw a punch. De Sousa and McCormack at minimum will receive disciplinary action.

20 year old kids make bad decisions some times. Let the league office sort out punishments and move on.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 22nd, 2020, 9:31 am

Basically this comes down to De Sousa. he just played the fool and it all blew up from there. This is why taunting is not allowed.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 22nd, 2020, 10:08 am

Great article.

"If the schools punt discipline in this one, the Big 12 needs to drop the hammer." WTF? Are you serious? That bunch of chickenchits will do nothing. LMFAO!!!

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 22nd, 2020, 10:13 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:21 am
I think A Gordon will receive some type of disciplinary action. Sloan came up to confront De Sousa who was standing over D Gordon who was on the ground. A Gordon was the next player to get there and he ran off the bench to do it. He ran into the back of Sloan, which pushed him into De Sousa. Love will receive some type of disciplinary action. Both Love and A Gordon came off the bench and were in the middle of it all even if they didn't throw a punch. De Sousa and McCormack at minimum will receive disciplinary action.

20 year old kids make bad decisions some times. Let the league office sort out punishments and move on.
Makes me wonder if AG came off the bench angry and Love went to save him? I think the first thing Love did was to pull AG out of the fray, which was good. Doing so he put himself in harms way where thugs did what thugs do.