Kaosi Ezeagu UTEP transfer

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
KsJoey

Re: Kaosi Ezeagu UTEP transfer

Post by KsJoey » January 14th, 2020, 9:05 am

And it looks like Bruce isn't done recruiting, as he wants to add a 6th man to the 2020 recruiting class. Posted Yesterday

ON WHAT HE(BRUCE) WANTS TO STILL ADD FOR THE 2020 CLASS… “Oh yeah, we will. We’ll definitely — I think we’ll probably try to get another big and then we’ll decide about maybe a wing or something. A 3-4 is what we’ve looked at. Somebody that when you get Antonio and Monte hurt or sick, now we have no one to play there. Do you have — right now you’ve got Xavier that can do it, but we’re limited number-wise with guards. I think that would be the only thing, to get somebody that could play that 3-4 if we did, and then possibly another big or looking at a big.”
Last edited by KsJoey on January 14th, 2020, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 14th, 2020, 9:09 am

As far as Kaosi goes. He's a project, who doesn't look skilled. I realize he was just a freshman last year, but he was on a really bad team, in a really bad conference, and still put up pretty poor stats. And this year, with some additions of transfers to UTEP, he's basically the 5th bigman, which is why they're redshirting him. He may contribute more than Love or Shadd but that's not saying much either. I hope i'm wrong.

However, disregarding his offensive production, he does look like a solid defender, rebounder, and even shot blocker. So that will probably be his main value. A guy that can come in off the bench, provide solid minutes defensively and rebounding and make the open slam dunk when it's there for him.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 14th, 2020, 9:12 am

Orion12521 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 9:01 am
He averaged those starts in an average of 12 minutes a game. If he were playing 30 minutes he's be close to a double-double as a true freshman. UTEP was 5 deep in the post which is why he redshirted and is now looking to transfer. As far as FT%, it's a fairly small sample size. He shot 56.9% from the field. Scouting report out of high school had him as a decent the point shooter. I think thus is a great addition. Sounds like when he does get it in the post, he's putting it home.
Thanks Good post. Interesting he was red shirting considering he started the last 7 games for UTEP last year.

This is from an article in Gopowercat that quotes the Miners coach.
Again, I think we’re all on the same page; his family, himself and people that have worked with his development to this point right now, meaning his other outside coaches. We were all in agreement that we thought that it was best for him to redshirt this year and not lose a year of eligibility, based on the numbers and the guys we have playing,” UTEP coach Rodney Terry told 600 ESPN El Paso on December 30, 2019. “We have five posts right now. There’s only 80 minutes in the post. Who’s going to get that time and those minutes? It really was going to be difficult for us to get him on the floor this year, and so we really wanted him to develop in practice and not lose his eligibility, in terms of putting him in a minute or two in games.

“At the last minute at the end of the semester, they had a change of heart of that, and wanted to see if there was an opportunity elsewhere for him moving forward.”

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » January 14th, 2020, 10:07 am

Orion12521 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 9:01 am
He averaged those stats in an average of 12 minutes a game. If he were playing 30 minutes he's be close to a double-double as a true freshman. UTEP was 5 deep in the post which is why he redshirted and is now looking to transfer. As far as FT%, it's a fairly small sample size. He shot 56.9% from the field. Scouting report out of high school had him as a decent three point shooter. I think this is a great addition. Sounds like when he does get it in the post, he's putting it home. (Edited for typos)
Thanks for putting some perspective on it for us Orion. I understand the skepticism with how KSU has faired with big men, but I think it also then can cause an attitude where you believe everyone they recruit is a bust if they don’t manage to somehow land a 5 star.

I like what I see with this recruit and am excited to see how he fits and what he’s truly capable of doing.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » January 14th, 2020, 10:15 am

It remains to be seen whether this guy can really help us or not. But if he can at least catch the ball and bounce it on the floor instead of his foot, we are making strides in the right direction.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 14th, 2020, 10:33 am

took this off twitter last night. evidently, this guy, hallatcoop, is a coach and 'placer' for canadian ballers. i never heard of him but his comment is interesting. i'll say, kaosi damn sure looks the part in that picture. ;-)

https://twitter.com/hallatcoop1/status/ ... 26144?s=11
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 14th, 2020, 10:37 am

"I understand the skepticism with how KSU has faired with big men, but I think it also then can cause an attitude where you believe everyone they recruit is a bust if they don’t manage to somehow land a 5 star."

How about just develop a 3 star kid to be something more than a detriment when he's on the floor? I mean, how about we just see one of these guys get noticeably better and consistent? Yes, you could say we have been caused to have an attitude towards our big men. Dean Wade was a 4 star kid who had tons of talent. I thought he was underused here, but he was still damn good because he worked hard and had good coaching in HS. He leaves KSU and has taken his game to another level. I know he is a different type of big, but regardless. Coincidence? Maybe, but why wouldn't I assume that he is finally getting "developed" and pushed? Mawein? Had promise 2 years ago. I see a player that has digressed. Stockard has gotten better by a tiny fraction. I mean, WTF are we doing with our bigs? I'm not looking for a 20pt. 10 rebound guy, but how about an 10pt./8 rebound guy with a couple of blocks? It's amazing. He is in year 3 and we can't even get 8pts/5reb out of him. Yes, this is giving us all an "attitude" towards bigs. No doubt.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 14th, 2020, 11:02 am

Picking up the 5th man in UTEP’s big man rotation isn’t getting me worked up. However, if he can defend, catch the ball, and finish when receiving a pass for a wide open dunk he will be fine in our offense. If he can hit the pick and pop that would be a bonus. Considering he shot 47% from the line I’m guessing that’s not the case. He averaged 18 pts. Per game for some prep club team. I assume that’s his old AAU squad which is not representative of real basketball that includes defense.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 14th, 2020, 11:03 am

with all due respect, i thought dean wade had a hell of career at k-state. i won't go through the accolades but he was certainly better than kids down the kaw who came in with the same or more accolades. i think sometimes we're too close to the trees to see the forest, particularly when suggesting dean wade didn't achieve his potential here. good lord.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... ric-lawson
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 14th, 2020, 11:30 am

tmcats wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:03 am
with all due respect, i thought dean wade had a hell of career at k-state. i won't go through the accolades but he was certainly better than kids down the kaw who came in with the same or more accolades. i think sometimes we're too close to the trees to see the forest, particularly when suggesting dean wade didn't achieve his potential here. good lord.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... ric-lawson
Do you even read or do you just float through here looking for someone to be sarcastic to or argue with? Where did I say Dean Wade didn't have a good or "hell of career" at KSTATE? Please quote. Furthermore, I even said he had a "damn good career". Anybody who just isn't on here looking for an argument can tell my statement was at the staff, not Dean. I gave Dean props for being great despite the staff not appearing to know how to use him. I'm going to suggest you find a hobby, preferably a reading class, then come back to the board when you can actually comprehend at least the 6th grade level. I know words are hard, but you can do it big guy.

Now, rush along and pick your next fight. :thumbsup: